Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
PC finally has a fun challenge and I have to be overseas with slow internet! I missed the first week, saw this thread and got 1500 for week 2 and expecting 1500 for week 3. For week 4, I went with Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia because it's the only common denominator between the reality shows, flower and ethnic groups. Looking forward to active participation for the last 4 weeks!
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:01 pm

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!
Sabah in Malaysia - Week 4 solution

If Borneo doesn't count against me....should be 1500 points! :^)
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Thats exactly what I said but just worded differently and got attacked for it.
Yeah, it was the exactly the same, except for the part of being rude rather than welcoming to newbies like myself:

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I have noticed that lots of SMURFS and TROLLS have popped up on this thread, all out of the woodworks.
"Attacked" for attacking. 'magine that.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: all
Answer

The answer for week 4 has been posted: "Sabah in Malaysia".
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by reallynow
Yeah, it was the exactly the same, except for the part of being rude rather than welcoming to newbies like myself:

"Attacked" for attacking. 'magine that.
I thought the same thing Reallynow.

It definitely will be interesting to see how the points are awarded for week 4. I entered "Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia" for the 1,500 point day and then "Sabah, Malaysia" for the 1,000 point day - just in case the Borneo disqualified my first answer. Granted we won't see what points we were awarded for 2 more weeks, but once I do see which they counted as correct I will let you know (as will everyone else I am sure).
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by marybdisney
I thought the same thing Reallynow.

It definitely will be interesting to see how the points are awarded for week 4. I entered "Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia" for the 1,500 point day and then "Sabah, Malaysia" for the 1,000 point day - just in case the Borneo disqualified my first answer. Granted we won't see what points we were awarded for 2 more weeks, but once I do see which they counted as correct I will let you know (as will everyone else I am sure).
Hopefully it won't. "Royal" didn't disqualify me from getting the week 2 points and that was the only answer I submitted.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:37 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Ouch! I entered Pulau Tiga NP Sabah Malaysia Day2, Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia for Day 3 and Sipidan, Sabah, Malaysia for Day 4.

This will definitely be interesting.... to see if I gave too much information.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Tiki
Hopefully it won't. "Royal" didn't disqualify me from getting the week 2 points and that was the only answer I submitted.
Several reports now of the "royal" answer being accepted.

It's THE open question:

Did they program the "royal" answer specifically to be acceptable?

Or, did they exclude the royal term as extraneous, just as they will any extraneous terms, and reward the core answer?

Here's hoping for the later!

I'm a little nervous at this point since I've "packed the box" two weeks in a row now without knowing definitively the risk. Played the odds and assumed they took the easy way out in terms of programming.

Wish I had submitted the core answer on at least one day, but I didn't want to get Arubaed on specificity!

We'll know shortly, after the Kenai points are awarded.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:40 am

I entered Royal Chitwan NP for my week 2 answer, and only responded on one day that week and got 1000 points. Therefore, I think they may accept Borneo in the answer with Sabah and Malaysia.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by DealDetective
I'm curious how many people found FlyerTalk while searching the clues for this contest. If you look at the # of views (over 238,000), in less than 1 month, it exceeds the IC master promo thread, which was started almost 2 years ago!

After the contest is over, stick around and find out how much more FT has to offer!
I found FT after searching for clues at the end of last week. Never even thought that there would be a board for helping me with my airline miles and hotel points.

There are so many questions I am getting round to ask on the boards - but its slow work as I get distracted reading the Q&A's already posted.

BUT there definitely is a wealth of knowledge in the minds of the FT members. I'm so glad you are all willing to share and help.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:05 am

Programs: PC
I think they reward the core answer no matter what else you post, remember they said to be "as detailed as possible" in the answer...so I don't think giving extra details counts against us...basically all we did was mention subsets of things located in Sabah, so it should be fine.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I'm curious how many people found FlyerTalk while searching the clues for this contest. If you look at the # of views (over 238,000), in less than 1 month, it exceeds the IC master promo thread, which was started almost 2 years ago!

After the contest is over, stick around and find out how much more FT has to offer!
very true....
Old Oct 4, 2010, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC, HH, PC
Personally I think they are just looking for keywords in your answers. E.g they are probably looking for:

Week 1: Arikok AND Aruba
Week 2: Chitwan AND Nepal
Week 3: Kenai River AND Alaska
Week 4: Sabah AND Malaysia

If you add in other details then it won't count against you so long as you have the keywords they are looking for. If you have both in your answer you win, if not you lose.

If you think about it, they have to review thousands of entries per week and PC will not want to have to spend time assessing ambiguous answers - they will want to keep it as simple as possible for themselves.

Is it technically correct to say "Borneo, Malaysia", "Malaysia" or "Malaysia, Borneo"? I really can't see them caring which way round you state it, so long as you get the keyword in the answer.

Remember this is not a National Geographic quiz, it is a hotel promo
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:14 am

Programs: IC Platinum Royal Ambassador, HH Gold

I did, but so glad I did! My husband is a platinum royal ambassador, reading the reviews of the hotels has been fantastic and very helpful!
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
It will be very interesting to see the points posted for this one. I did have Sabah and Malaysia on day 2 preceded by one of the NPs. I'm really curious how may points that will bring me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.