Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1P; Delta Gold; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; ICH Amb; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pgary
I submitted SIPADAN WATER VILLAGE RESORT, TAWAU, SABAH, MALAYSIA. I don't think they will reject this for lack of specificity.
I think that is the resort in the background of the photo. This also looks a lot like the resort in the background as well:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationP...dan_Sabah.html

But, they are looking for a place that is "the site of several reality TV shows", which I don't think would have been at an island resort.

So, I am thinking that the spot they are referring to is the piece of land from where the photo was taken.

This seems to be a good clue:

http://www.exploring-malaysia.com/pu...ional-park.htm

"Pulau Tiga National Park is a 15-sq-km national park to the north of Kuala Penyu in Sabah. Despite its name (Pulau Tiga means "three islands" in Malay), there are now only two islands left in the national park. The biggest is also called Pulau Tiga. A kilometer to the northeast lies the islet of Pulau Kalampunian Damit. In between it and Pulau Tiga are the remains of the third island, Pulau Kalampunian Besar, which has been reduced to just a sandbar.

The three islands were the result of the eruption of mud volcanoes, as recently as 1897. Pulau Tiga was the venue of the US reality TV show, Survivor first season, and has since been marketed as "Survivor Island".
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, AS
THE ANYWHERE CHALLENGE 1500 pts

Posted yesterday.

I'm not sure which answer was the winner, and seeing the 1500 pts was quite a surprise. Thanks to all for the hints, suggestions, and clues.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
2000 posted for me. I am sure it was for week 2.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:59 pm

This is how I am thinking about it.

Let's say they didn't give us the pictures but the clues only.

Clue #1: The *SITE* of several reality tv shows.
Clue #2: Home to ONE of the world's largest flowers.

From that the Sabah Borneo Malaysia area seems to fit the bill FOR the largest flower.

Now the reality tv show fits the bill for the pulau tiga national park as it was the site of several reality tv shows. So put it together and we get, I assume: Pulau Tiga National Park, Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia or Pulau Tiga National Park, Sabah, Malaysia.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Pulau Tiga National Park, Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia

That is what I submitted this morning.... just had to put 'Pulau Tiga NP' (with the rest of it too - Sabeh, Borneo, Malaysia) - I'll get it all in next time... Thanks Travel-Tim.

Last edited by miffSC; Sep 29, 2010 at 8:45 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by miffSC
Pulau Tiga National Park, Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia

That is what I submitted this morning.... just had to put 'Pulau Tiga NP' - I'll get it all in next time... Thanks Travel-Tim.
I'm putting: Pulau tiga national park, borneo, sabah, malaysia.

Pulau NP is a place in borneo which is a area in the state of sabah which is in the country of malayasia.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by treehugr
For clarification...during week 1 (before I had the luck of findinghtis forum) if you Googled the three geologic rock compostions as one string, a Google search came back with the fact that these three types of rock are specifically found inside of Arikok National Park, no where else on Aruba are all three formations together. Additionally the park was specifically mentioned as being home to the two endemic birds; ergo, it is the correct answer.
And as far as fair goes, again (as others have pointed out)it is a game in which we are receiving free reward points for doing a little research and expanding our horizons about the world in which we live - and I'm not being snarky. Enjoy it instead of complaining. Be Happy Let's focus on the current challenge at hand.
If they do not have the beach, the birds perched on the poles in the water, and the lighthouse, I would have pick Arikok NP as well. The NP is no where near the water. People have been in Aruba know that the lighthouse is in the tip of the island.

We actually drove a 4-wheel drive into the NP trying to cross its entirety to the other entrance. From where you then could go across another road, then drive up (no road, only tire tracks which changed frequently) over another mountain ridge then went down the very steep slope to the water. About 2 miles into the drive we gave up and headed back out from the park because the "road" inside the park was near impossible to drive despite the 4-wheel drive car we rented.

The beach, water, and the lighthouse should never be in the image if Arikok is the correct answer.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pgary
I submitted SIPADAN WATER VILLAGE RESORT, TAWAU, SABAH, MALAYSIA. I don't think they will reject this for lack of specificity.
This is what the picture points to. However if this is the repeat of Week 1, then who knows what the PC game designers want for correct answer.

There is definitely no Stinky Flower grows in the resort area for sure.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nas6034
I'm putting: Pulau tiga national park, borneo, sabah, malaysia.

Pulau NP is a place in borneo which is a area in the state of sabah which is in the country of malayasia.
The way you worded it, seems to mean Sabah is bigger than Borneo.

Actually Sabah is a state of Malaysia and part of Borneo belongs to Malaysia. Borneo is a geographic name of the whole island, 26% belongs to Malaysia, 73% to Indonesia, 1% to the Sultan of Brunei, one of the richest person in the world.

The official Sabah Tourism site calles itself "Sabah Malaysian Borneo"

http://www.sabahtourism.com/sabah-ma...n/about-sabah/

Last edited by Happy; Sep 29, 2010 at 9:26 pm
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phaleesy
My answer for tonight is
Pulau Tiga National Park, Sabah, Malaysia.

Because
1. the first clue specifically mentioned the word 'site' of several reality tv shows.
2. Found this page tonight, with pics of buildings on stilts http://lostborneo.wordpress.com/tag/pulau-tiga/
3. Included in the map for the distribution of Rafflesia.
http://www.earlham.edu/~givenbe/Raff...ia/biodiv4.htm

I love this game! I've ridden on elephants in Nepal, fished for salmon in Alaska, hunted for stones in Okinawa last night and searched for buildings on stilts in Sabah tonight.
The map convinces me this might be it.

I would put in as Pulau Tiga National Park, Sabah, Malaysian Borneo.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 29, 2010 at 9:27 pm
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:03 pm

think it may be just sabah, malaysia.

I mean come on - home to many indigenous groups of people. what a joke.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Marriott Gold, US Silver, PC Gold,Wyndham Rewards
New clue is up:

"Home to many indigenous ethnic groups."

From Wikipedia:

....The people of Sabah are divided into 32 officially recognised ethnic groups.....

Last edited by Vetter44; Sep 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Infoleech
As a programmer, I have some knowledge about string comparison.

Think about this, there are 3 methods they could use.

Method 1: Exact string
"Kenai River, Alaska" must match exactly.
We know this not to be true because of the Nepal answer.

Method 2: String contains
"Royal Chitwan National Park, Nepal" must contain "Chitwan National Park, Nepal".
This is true, the answer DOES contain that string.

Method 3: Word match
"Arikok National Park, Aruba" must contain "Arikok" and "Aruba".
In this case they wouldn't need to search for the National Park bit as there's nowhere else called Akirok.

We know method 1 isn't right.
Method 2 works, and if they're using it you could put anything on the beginning or end, e.g. "A big river somewhere looks like Canada maybe the Kenai River, Alaska the 52nd state" still contains "Kenai River, Alaska" and would be accepted.

btw I'm not an American, I don't know which number Alaska is and don't really care please don't bother correcting me.

Method 3 I think is unlikely but possible. People would only enter the location in a certain order.

If it was me, I'd use a combination of 2 and 3 to get variations. e.g.
MUST BE "Kenai River"
FOLLOWED DIRECTLY BY (excluding any punctuation) "Alaska" OR "AK"
FOLLOWED BY "USA", "US", "America", etc etc

So people putting Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia won't be accepted. People trying to put more than 1 place e.g. "Pulau Tiga National Park" won't be accepted.
The only thing we're missing here is more precise feedback from winners on their answers. Pity only a few folks have provided it to date.

I'll rule out Method 2, as "XXXX" was a winner for week 2, day 1.

I continue to bank on Method 3, and I'll be certain after week 3 points are awarded.

So, my guess for yesterday, day 2 - XXXX.

Can only go wrong if I need island in there for the Mabul portion of the guess or it's the other national park... or if it's Japan.

Now that I write that, I probably should have really gone for it and ditched "national park" and the commas and included the other park name, Kinabalu.

Last edited by reallynow; Sep 30, 2010 at 10:54 am
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:16 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Marriott Gold, US Silver, PC Gold,Wyndham Rewards
Here is the pic:

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-5313...rt-in-row.html
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:17 pm

BORNEO .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.