Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IC Montelucia Resort & Spa Scottsdale Master Thread (No longer an IC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Montelucia Resort & Spa Scottsdale Master Thread (No longer an IC)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2009, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by globaltrotter
when you book through expedia with this deal, do you have to pay the 24 dollar resort fee?

If you do have to pay the resort fee, then you are saying that your room is averaging about 25 dollars a night and then you will pay the resort fee at checkin?
Yes, precisely. We have to pay the resort fee but the room works out to $25 before that.

Originally Posted by globaltrotter
also are you able to book this flight and hotel deal, but never take the flight or does it cancel out the remaining part of the trip? I have a bunch of delta flight credits that I could use for my "real" flight and with this deal, the hotel prices out cheaper.
I believe the hotel is not canceled if you don't take the flight as they are booked separately.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 4:52 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by abcx
I believe the hotel is not canceled if you don't take the flight as they are booked separately.
This is correct (if off-topic for this thread). No need to take the flight (or use the hotel) on these Expedia special rates. The IC Montelucia can be had very cheaply with this $200 coupon (I got 3 nights inclusive breakfast buffet and a flight from SAN for about $50/nt), and some HIs in the Phoenix area can be had for free (almost). Do note, though, that you likely won't be getting points or stay credit for third-party bookings. RA benefits do apply, however (even though they probably won't like that).
Old Jul 29, 2009, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
This is correct (if off-topic for this thread). No need to take the flight (or use the hotel) on these Expedia special rates. The IC Montelucia can be had very cheaply with this $200 coupon (I got 3 nights inclusive breakfast buffet and a flight from SAN for about $50/nt), and some HIs in the Phoenix area can be had for free (almost). Do note, though, that you likely won't be getting points or stay credit for third-party bookings. RA benefits do apply, however (even though they probably won't like that).
How did you get breakfast for $50/nt? Is that $50 incl. resort fee? How much did you pay extra for breakfast?

BTW, if you are booking this, airport rental from Hertz through Expedia is not as expensive as they usually are: $33/day. Enterprise is about $26/day in town, so depending on how long you are staying it may or may not be worth it to go into town to get the car.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 5:17 pm

How did you get breakfast for $50/nt? Is that $50 incl. resort fee? How much did you pay extra for breakfast?
There was an offer on the upgrades page, +$19.xx/nt for a Kasbah Poolside room with breakfast buffet. Does not seem to be available for all dates, though. Resort fee is extra, to be paid directly to the hotel.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 5:20 pm

There was an offer on the upgrades page, +$19.xx/nt for a Kasbah Poolside room with breakfast buffet. Does not seem to be available for all dates, though. Resort fee is extra, to be paid directly to the hotel.
Hmm. I see, that explains it. I don't get that option for my dates. I would ideally pay $20-$30 extra for a 2 queen bed Oasis Village room with breakfast buffet but Expedia doesn't offer me one.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 6:17 pm

I can get a Camelback View but it has 1 king bed. Unfortunately, Expedia is not offering me a 2 queen bed Camelback/Oasis Village room which is the only reason I picked the Montelucia signature room. Given that we are 3 people, two queen beds makes sense.
The problem with picking the Montelucia Signature Room is that it gives you whatever is leftover. It does NOT guarantee 2 Queen Beds, in fact the max occupancy listed for that room type is 3 persons, just like any King room. The 2 Queens rooms on the other hand list max occupancy at 5 persons. But if there is no choice for a room with 2 Queens, then your best bet is probably to choose the Signature room and put in a special request for 2 beds. Good luck.

BTW, Thanks for posting the Expedia trick. ^
Old Jul 29, 2009, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
The problem with picking the Montelucia Signature Room is that it gives you whatever is leftover. It does NOT guarantee 2 Queen Beds, in fact the max occupancy listed for that room type is 3 persons, just like any King room. The 2 Queens rooms on the other hand list max occupancy at 5 persons. But if there is no choice for a room with 2 Queens, then your best bet is probably to choose the Signature room and put in a special request for 2 beds. Good luck.

BTW, Thanks for posting the Expedia trick. ^
Hmm. Good to know. I did put in a request for 2 queen beds with the Signature room, but your post is making me reconsider. Is there an extra couch/sofa-bed in the King rooms - or how else do they fit 3? I might just do a 1 King bed Camelback Mountain View if there is a couch/sofa-bed.

You are welcome. Good to finally be able to give back to the community.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 7:27 pm

Is there an extra couch/sofa-bed in the King rooms - or how else do they fit 3? I might just do a 1 King bed Camelback Mountain View if there is a couch/sofa-bed.
I've never had a non-Suite King room here. But I would assume that the extra person in the room would come in the form of a rollaway.

The King Suites list 5 persons max occupancy, and those have a King bed (2 people), a pullout sofa (2 people), and I assume the 5th person goes on a rollaway there as well.

Same with the 5 persons max occupancy in a 2 Queens bedroom. I assume 5th person goes on a rollaway.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 7:44 pm

I've never had a non-Suite King room here. But I would assume that the extra person in the room would come in the form of a rollaway.

The King Suites list 5 persons max occupancy, and those have a King bed (2 people), a pullout sofa (2 people), and I assume the 5th person goes on a rollaway there as well.

Same with the 5 persons max occupancy in a 2 Queens bedroom. I assume 5th person goes on a rollaway.
Does the rollaway have to be requested at check-in and does it cost extra? I ask because Expedia does not let me request one - though they do allow me to pick a king bed room for 3 people.

Thanks for all the help with the room selection.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:29 pm

Does the rollaway have to be requested at check-in and does it cost extra?
I don't know. I've never booked/used a rollaway. You might wanna contact the hotel to find out, or you might be able to see that info if you try to book a dummy reservation on priorityclub.com.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:37 pm

I don't know. I've never booked/used a rollaway. You might wanna contact the hotel to find out, or you might be able to see that info if you try to book a dummy reservation on priorityclub.com.
Yeah, I called them earlier today and they said the rollaway was free.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:37 am

Thanks for the tip. I saw threads about that when I searched. The only reason I am not doing that is b/c I can get the Montelucia signature room for about $50/night incl. resort fee through the latest Expedia $200 off Air + IHG Hotel package deal. After removing the air tickets from SFO to PHX, it works out to about $50/night.
This is even better from LAS.

The LAS-PHX RT is $119 on US Airways a.i. With the Expedia Flight + Hotel package deal it works out to $197 for both. You pay the same for the hotel ($150 ai) but the air ticket is cheaper. The resort fee is almost as expensive as the hotel. Grrr. So now I am doing SFO-LAS (added a $115 2 night stay at the Hilton - check slickdeals if interested) and nesting LAS-PHX.

BTW, if you are flying with someone else to PHX, you could save some money on the air ticket by booking two different packages to PHX. Do one at the Montelucia, and then do one at the Holiday Inn Scottsdale. Apply the coupon on both (might need two accounts/cards). Don't use the Holiday Inn hotel reservation. This way you can get LAS-PHX roundtrips for ~$45. (Same goes for SFO-LAS.)
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:20 pm

BTW, if you are flying with someone else to PHX, you could save some money on the air ticket by booking two different packages to PHX. Do one at the Montelucia, and then do one at the Holiday Inn Scottsdale. Apply the coupon on both (might need two accounts/cards). Don't use the Holiday Inn hotel reservation. This way you can get LAS-PHX roundtrips for ~$45. (Same goes for SFO-LAS.)
Make sure to add the second person's HI reservation to their account before the stay, and do check in for the unneeded HI reservation. You may well get points (even though you're not supposed to). If the other person doesn't have a PC account, even better -- sign them up for the current stay 3, get 5k promo, as well as all the new member bonuses, and you could end up getting 15k points. Not too shabby...
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:25 pm

Make sure to add the second person's HI reservation to their account before the stay, and do check in for the unneeded HI reservation. You may well get points (even though you're not supposed to). If the other person doesn't have a PC account, even better -- sign them up for the current stay 3, get 5k promo, as well as all the new member bonuses, and you could end up getting 15k points. Not too shabby...
Hmm. I didn't even think of that. So how exactly does this work? None of us have PC accounts but I was thinking of making one.

EDIT: So I understand the 1500 new member bonus and the 5k promo bonus. That's 6.5 k per stay/new member. Did you mean 15k per person or 15k all together? This would be 19.5k for all 3 of us, but only 6.5k per person. Unless I am missing something...

BTW, thanks a lot for the heads-up.

Last edited by abcx; Aug 4, 2009 at 12:45 pm
Old Aug 4, 2009, 1:26 pm

Hmm. I didn't even think of that. So how exactly does this work? None of us have PC accounts but I was thinking of making one.

EDIT: So I understand the 1500 new member bonus and the 5k promo bonus. That's 6.5 k per stay/new member. Did you mean 15k per person or 15k all together? This would be 19.5k for all 3 of us, but only 6.5k per person. Unless I am missing something...

BTW, thanks a lot for the heads-up.
Definitely sign up for accounts! Then, call PC to add the Expedia reservations to your account. You're not supposed to get points for reservations made on competing websites, but it's quite possible that they'll still give you points (I get points on about 80% of my non-qualifying stays using this method). As for bonus codes -- You can use codes 6201, 4019, 6200, and 6199 (they give 3000, 1500, 1500, and 3000 bonus points after the first stay), as well as the Stay 3 - Get 5,000 code (6019). There may also be some additional bonuses you can sign up for (e.g., the 4k bonus points for Western ICs, which is supposed to be expired, but the last Montelucia bonus paid out well after its supposed expiration date), as well as the various double/triple points bonuses (which will likely not work). A haul of 15k points should definitely be doable, if you happen to get points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.