Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IC Montelucia Resort & Spa Scottsdale Master Thread (No longer an IC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Montelucia Resort & Spa Scottsdale Master Thread (No longer an IC)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 3:42 pm

did you tell them you had a car ?? we were there 6-11th May and they wanted $10 per night for self park - although when I did say that seemed excessive on top of a $24 resort fee the guy checking me in said "but you don't have a car do you ??" I happily agreed that we didn't (the reason he knew we did was that we had asked if we needed a pass to display to park). The self parking is not monitored so if you don't tell them they won't know.

The resort fee was also waived when I queried the free internet for ambasadors (IC website says IC Montelucia will waive fee for ambasadors booking following a link - we didn't as it was about $100 / night more via the link)

With regard to the ambasador upgrade as the first night we were there was very busy they gave us a mountain view and suggested checking back the following day for a suite, we were moved into a 1 bed oasis suite at about 6 pm on the following day.

Generally we really liked the hotel & surroundings but were left feeling a little cold by it - nothing to put our fingers on, people were friendly (perhaps a little overly so and were already agreeing with what you asked before you had finished asking, but not actually following through with your request). Requests for smaller pillow were made 3 times before one actually showed up. Some souvenier champagne flutes from a Balloon flight were cleared up by the maid and lost (we were told they would be located but they were not) - there just didn't seem much substance to back up the facade.

That said, the rooms were lovely (even the basic one), the food was excellent in Prado & the resort really well kept.

After we left, we took a 7 day road trip to Las Vegas staying in much less luxurious surroundings (HI express, HI, Best Western, Embassy Suites) & felt that generally they tried to give you a little extra (breakfast, free shuttle to local restuarants, managers cocktail party, 24/7 coffee and juice etc). Nothing fancy, just trying to give you a little added value. This we didn't feel was the case at the IC Montelucia.
Old May 23, 2011, 5:42 am
PTM

With Montelucia being bought out, do stays here still qualify for PC points?

I have three nights booked this week to complete the 'Crack the Case' promotion, will they still count?
Old May 23, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Plat Amb
Originally Posted by janed9388
did you tell them you had a car ?? we were there 6-11th May and they wanted $10 per night for self park - although when I did say that seemed excessive on top of a $24 resort fee the guy checking me in said "but you don't have a car do you ??" I happily agreed that we didn't (the reason he knew we did was that we had asked if we needed a pass to display to park). The self parking is not monitored so if you don't tell them they won't know.

The resort fee was also waived when I queried the free internet for ambasadors (IC website says IC Montelucia will waive fee for ambasadors booking following a link - we didn't as it was about $100 / night more via the link)

With regard to the ambasador upgrade as the first night we were there was very busy they gave us a mountain view and suggested checking back the following day for a suite, we were moved into a 1 bed oasis suite at about 6 pm on the following day.

Generally we really liked the hotel & surroundings but were left feeling a little cold by it - nothing to put our fingers on, people were friendly (perhaps a little overly so and were already agreeing with what you asked before you had finished asking, but not actually following through with your request). Requests for smaller pillow were made 3 times before one actually showed up. Some souvenier champagne flutes from a Balloon flight were cleared up by the maid and lost (we were told they would be located but they were not) - there just didn't seem much substance to back up the facade.

That said, the rooms were lovely (even the basic one), the food was excellent in Prado & the resort really well kept.

After we left, we took a 7 day road trip to Las Vegas staying in much less luxurious surroundings (HI express, HI, Best Western, Embassy Suites) & felt that generally they tried to give you a little extra (breakfast, free shuttle to local restuarants, managers cocktail party, 24/7 coffee and juice etc). Nothing fancy, just trying to give you a little added value. This we didn't feel was the case at the IC Montelucia.
You were there the same time as me, and sounds like you got a slightly better deal.

We arrived on the 10th May for 5 nights paid using a weekend voucher, plus 1 night reward.

As an ambassador I still paid the resort fee for the 4 nights, but no resort fee.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Press release regarding the Montelucia's acquisition - it confirms the hotel is becoming an Intercontinental Alliance Resort:

KSL CAPITAL PARTNERS ANNOUNCES ACQUISITION OF
INTERCONTINENTAL MONTELUCIA RESORT & SPA IN SCOTTSDALE, ARIZONA

DENVER, Colo. (May 23, 2011) - KSL Capital Partners, LLC (KSL) announced today that it has acquired InterContinental Montelucia Resort & Spa in Scottsdale, Arizona. Opened in 2008, the resort boasts 293 rooms and suites, five pools, six dining options, the 31,000 square foot Joya Spa with 19 treatment rooms, and more than 90,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor meeting space. Nestled at the base of Camelback Mountain, the resort’s convenient central location offers easy access to the area’s best golf, recreation, nightlife and entertainment. Montelucia has been extraordinarily well received by its guests having been ranked #13 on Travel + Leisure’s list of the “Top 50 Resorts in the U.S. and Canada.”

Following the acquisition, the resort will operate as an independent luxury resort, Montelucia Resort & Spa, and will remain affiliated with InterContinental Hotels & Resorts as an InterContinental Alliance Resort. The resort will be managed by KSL Resorts, a leading independent hotel management company. KSL Resorts has a rich history in the market, having managed the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa from 2000 to 2006.
As an InterContinental Alliance Resort, the resort will have access to IHG’s global reservations system and marketing channels. Guests at the resort will be able to continue to benefit from the InterContinental Hotels “in the know” experience as well as IHG’s Priority Club® Rewards, the world's largest hotel loyalty program with 58 million members.

“Montelucia Resort & Spa has quickly become the preeminent luxury resort in the Scottsdale area, offering the services and amenities that today’s travelers demand in an unparalleled setting,” said Bernard Siegel, principal at KSL Capital Partners. Moreover, Scottsdale is one of most desirable vacation spots in the United States. The combination of management by KSL Resorts and being an InterContinental Alliance Resort will bring a whole new level of luxury and service to the market.”

http://www.kslresorts.com/PressRelea...e.aspx?id=1432
Old May 31, 2011, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paul.goffin
Self parking is free, well it was last week.
Had my stay using Free Night Award and:

- no resort fee
- local/toll free and Internet are included
- was not charged for self-parking
- access to gym / spa
- even got upgrade (to partial mountain view) and 2PM late checkout as a PC Platinum member

Nice hotel! It feels a lot more intimate than the Phoenician but the gardens/grounds are not as nice. The room is great. Spa seems to be way over-priced but I guess that is the point for spas

Weekend was busy but was really slow during the week. Now that summer is here, it would be pretty empty.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:26 pm

Does anyone have experience getting stay credit, Ambassador benefits or points when booking through the montelucia.com website rather than Priority Club?

Standard rates seem to be priced the same, but there is a better selection of deals (e.g. 3 for 2) on the Montelucia site at the moment.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:39 pm

Location: Los Altos, CA -- UA 1P / Priority Club Platinum Ambassador / Hyatt GP Platinum / Avis Presidents Club
I stayed there last year and booked through the site. I both called and emailed to add my PC# to the reservation, but they didn't have record of my Ambassador status upon checkin (to be fair I had only renewed my Ambassador a few weeks before, so the status might not have been updated), and at checkout I had to spend a fair amount of time straightening out credit for the free movie, etc. Everyone was very courteous, but they indicated that the integration between their systems and IC's was not particularly good.

So I think you're fine to book through wherever you can get the package you're looking for, but I would suggest you be diligent in ensuring they are aware of your status prior to arrival, and check closely upon checkout.

Bill
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by BillShepp
I stayed there last year and booked through the site. I both called and emailed to add my PC# to the reservation, but they didn't have record of my Ambassador status upon checkin (to be fair I had only renewed my Ambassador a few weeks before, so the status might not have been updated), and at checkout I had to spend a fair amount of time straightening out credit for the free movie, etc. Everyone was very courteous, but they indicated that the integration between their systems and IC's was not particularly good.

So I think you're fine to book through wherever you can get the package you're looking for, but I would suggest you be diligent in ensuring they are aware of your status prior to arrival, and check closely upon checkout.

Bill
Many thanks for the response - very helpful.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:03 am

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat Amb
I stayed at the Montelucia for a few nights in mid-2011 (pre-acquisition). Even at that time the people I spoke with on the phone seemed uninformed about Ambassador/RA benefits, but everyone I met while I was there was very helpful.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 75K
Full RA benefits at Montelucia

I stayed here in early Feb'12 and all RA benefits were given (without asking). Fruit/cheese plate delivered to room after check-in. Nice upgrade to Oasis 1 bedroom suite, free minibar (well stocked!), and 1 free movie. Also, you get 8am check-in and 4pm late-checkout.

For parking, self parking is $10. Not sure about valet, but the self-parking is right next to the registration so doesn't really make sense to valet park.

There is also a $24/night resort which is also taxed, so it's really a $27/nt fee. It's a little annoying since most of these resort benefits are covered by Ambassador benefits.

If you're into day hikes, Camelback mountain is within walking distance from the hotel. I would recommend walking since parking at the trailhead is always full. The full hike (up/down) takes about 3 hours and is moderately strenuous (bring proper hiking gear and water; and there are steep elevation gains along the trail).
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: Delta PLT, IC RA
Curious, are those that have stayed here getting a full free minibar or just a $100 minibar credit such as the Venetian/Palazzo?

Originally Posted by allensun
I stayed here in early Feb'12 and all RA benefits were given (without asking). Fruit/cheese plate delivered to room after check-in. Nice upgrade to Oasis 1 bedroom suite, free minibar (well stocked!), and 1 free movie. Also, you get 8am check-in and 4pm late-checkout.

For parking, self parking is $10. Not sure about valet, but the self-parking is right next to the registration so doesn't really make sense to valet park.

There is also a $24/night resort which is also taxed, so it's really a $27/nt fee. It's a little annoying since most of these resort benefits are covered by Ambassador benefits.

If you're into day hikes, Camelback mountain is within walking distance from the hotel. I would recommend walking since parking at the trailhead is always full. The full hike (up/down) takes about 3 hours and is moderately strenuous (bring proper hiking gear and water; and there are steep elevation gains along the trail).
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:14 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by gw04
Curious, are those that have stayed here getting a full free minibar or just a $100 minibar credit such as the Venetian/Palazzo?
Had only two stays this year, so limited data, but never had the $100 limit enforced.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: Delta PLT, IC RA
Thanks for your reply - Did they mention free minibar at check in, or did you have to ask? When you checked out, did it show on your bill? Just covering all basis before my visit next week

Originally Posted by jpdx
Had only two stays this year, so limited data, but never had the $100 limit enforced.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:40 pm

I stayed here for a few nights over Xmas, got it for $135 a night on Hotwire. I got burned on the resort fee (learned my lesson on that scam, I could have had the Fairmont for less had I known where to look for the resort fee...) and when I called to complain about the resort fee right after I'd booked it, they offered to take the additional $10 for parking off. We had a great stay, it was a really nice place. I wrote a letter (I went old-fashioned) to the manager when we got back saying how the hotel was fantastic but that sadly we couldn't recommend it to others because of the resort fee. He wrote back and refunded it for our room, but not my mother's which I had also paid for. That was very nice of them, over 4 nights it really added up.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:15 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by gw04
Thanks for your reply - Did they mention free minibar at check in, or did you have to ask? When you checked out, did it show on your bill? Just covering all basis before my visit next week
They didn't mention at check-in and I didn't ask. However, I am somewhat of a frequent guest here (probably 20 weekends in the last 2-3 years), and I don't know if that matters w/r/t minibar treatment. At checkout, they immediately went through the bill and took everything off without prompting (this is their standard procedure, so it seems unlikely that they'd limit the consumption to $100).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.