Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IC Montelucia Resort & Spa Scottsdale Master Thread (No longer an IC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Montelucia Resort & Spa Scottsdale Master Thread (No longer an IC)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:10 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spkg
That doesn't sound good at all, a new owner might screw things over pretty badly, or might even exit the intercontinental brand.
eh, I wouldn't worry *too* much -- they've been in trouble since before they even opened, apparently.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:25 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I've heard some very negative things about the property on this thread, but the vast majority of them seem to be coming from people who booked on travelzoo or otherwise very reduced rates, I'm thinking of staying there right after Christmas, no reduced rates that i know.
I've had numerous issues with my stays at this property, and not all of them are related to cheap rates. In fact, our worst experience was on a $295/595 rate. It doesn't really matter, though -- if you go with the right expectations, you'll be fine. We haven't received a RA amenity in at least 50% on our stays, staff are poorly trained (but usually friendly), and minor things will go wrong. BUT: it's a beautiful property which provides amazing value to RAs. I wouldn't hesitate to go back (and in fact, we do go back all the time).
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:37 pm

That doesn't sound good at all, a new owner might screw things over pretty badly, or might even exit the intercontinental brand.
Did you mean to say the old owner was actually Sc@@wing things that looked pretty?
Old Dec 13, 2009, 6:45 pm

I see they have plenty more room types available for sale on priorityclub.com than they used to have. Just for the future perpetuity in case they later remove some room types, here are the room categories and prices for the night of 12/28/09:
Best Flexible Rate
$169.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 KING BED BOCCE GARDEN VILLAGE
$169.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate ADA 1 KING BED BOCCE GARDEN VILLAGE
$169.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate MONTELUCIA SIGNATURE ROOM
$189.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 KING BED FOUNTAIN OR KASBAH VILLAGE
$189.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate ADA 1 KING BED FOUNTAIN VILLAGE
$209.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 KING BED KASBAH VILLAGE POOLSIDE
$209.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 KING BED CAMELBACK MOUNTAIN VIEW
$229.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 KING BED OASIS VILLAGE
$229.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate ADA 1 KING BED OASIS VILLAGE
$249.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 KING BED OASIS VILLAGE EXCLUSIVE
$249.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate MONTELUCIA SIGNATURE SUITE
$279.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 KING BED CORTIJO PLAZA
$319.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 BEDROOM SUITE FOUNTAIN OR KASBAH
$369.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 BEDROOM SUITE KASBAH VILLAGE POOLSIDE
$369.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 BEDROOM SUITE CAMELBACK MOUNTAIN VIEW
$369.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 BEDROOM CORNER SUITE OASIS VILLAGE
$469.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 BEDROOM SUITE OASIS VILLAGE EXCLUSIVE
$619.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 BEDROOM CORNER SUITE CORTIJO PLAZA
$1,500.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate CORTIJO PLAZA GRAND SUITE
$3,000.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate CAMELBACK VILLA LUXURY SUITE
$4,000.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate ANDALUSIAN PRESIDENTIAL LUXURY SUITE
I am somewhat surprised that a standard room in the Corjito Village is more expensive than a Montelucia Signature Suite. And I'm almost even more surprised that a Montelucia Signature Suite is $70 cheaper than a Fountain/Kasbah Suite as I'm not sure there is any difference between the two of those categories. Same with the non-suite version of those two categories and their $20 price difference considering that there is no difference. I guess they just use those terms to try to wrangle more $$$$ out of suckers?

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
I stand corrected. I thought the Signature rooms were the lowest category rooms, but it turns out that they aren't, rather they are just a random term for the lowest category room that is 504 Sq Ft. The Bocce Village rooms are the lowest category (and 400 Sq Ft). Here is a list of the rooms/prices for this upcoming Friday night:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Best Flexible Rate
$160.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 KING BED BOCCE GARDEN VILLAGE
$180.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 KING BED KASBAH VILLAGE POOLSIDE
$180.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 KING BED CAMELBACK MOUNTAIN VIEW
$180.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 2 QUEEN BEDS CAMELBACK MOUNTAIN VIEW
$180.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate MONTELUCIA SIGNATURE ROOM
$200.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 KING BED OASIS VILLAGE
$200.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 2 QUEEN BEDS OASIS VILLAGE
$260.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 BEDROOM SUITE KASBAH VILLAGE POOLSIDE
$260.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 BEDROOM SUITE CAMELBACK MOUNTAIN VIEW
$260.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate MONTELUCIA SIGNATURE SUITE
$280.00 USD
Average Nightly Rate 1 BEDROOM CORNER SUITE OASIS VILLAGE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a choice between an actual view room (Camelback View or Kasbah Poolside), then definitely choose that over the Montelucia Signature room. If you choose the Signature Room, they will just stuff you in any old room that is available, possibly looking into a wall or with a bad view or something.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:26 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

There have been further changes to the room categories. Most notably, a new category for what we consider to be the best rooms (Oasis village with direct Camelback view) has been created: GRAND MOUNTAIN VIEW. These rooms now sell for more than the basic MONTELUCIA SIGNATURE SUITE (=any suite, assigned on arrival). The view from the Grand Mountain rooms is nice, but I don't know whether this price is justified. In any case, my favorite suite #521 (direct Camelback view) is now called GRAND MOUNTAIN SUITE EXCLUSIVE.

We had our 10th stay at the IC Montelucia recently, and the stay was mixed (as usual). Great upgrade (to #521), beautiful resort, great value. Lots of new employees, crowds of locals in Spa and pools, awful room service, uninspired Spa food. The RA gift now consists of two drink tokens to be used in the restaurant or at the pools (not as nice as the tapas plate or popcorn desert thingie they used to deliver to the room, but a lot better than nothing, which is what we got during at least half of our stays). We'll be back soon...
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:01 pm

Hotwire deal

I had booked a trip for the wife and I for the end of March through priorityclub.com. Shortly after, I saw a 5 star resort for $122 per night for two weeks earlier on Hotwire. Using betterbidding.com, I was able to deduce that the property was the Montelucia. Sure, I won't earn any points, but the price difference is enormous. We're now booked through Hotwire.

Now for the "touchy" subject...has anyone tried the $20 (or $50) sandwich trick at check-in with any success? I'm only a PR Gold member.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent/MR Gold/ HH Diamond/National/MGM/Amex
Originally Posted by sethdallob
Now for the "touchy" subject...has anyone tried the $20 (or $50) sandwich trick at check-in with any success? I'm only a PR Gold member.
Welcome to FT!

Good luck with the sandwich trick. This isn't asia so I guess you have a shot, but all in all I would guess about a 2% success rate, if that.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:16 pm

That's surprising - based on my experiences, particularly in Vegas, the success rate has been very high.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:21 am

The $20 sandwich trick???
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Buy something to credit to your PC account.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:37 pm

Definitely will. I just spent about an hour with the wife picking out spa treatments - can't wait.

Considering my usual PC hotels are Holiday Inn Express's in godforsaken small towns, I'm really looking forward to it.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 7:05 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by wonderbret
Welcome to FT!

Good luck with the sandwich trick. This isn't asia so I guess you have a shot, but all in all I would guess about a 2% success rate, if that.
Well, it worked. $122 Hotwire + $50 at check in = Cortijo Room w/balcony and massive bathroom (room 128). When she pointed to the money in "the stack", I said "I know I booked the Hotwire rate, but I was hoping we could get a little nicer room." I had my choice of the room I took or a poolside Kasbah room.

Good times.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Travelzoo special -- $99/night, June-Aug 2010

Saw this on Travelzoo this morning -- Montelucia $99/night, from June-August. Brave the summer heat and be rewarded

Here's the link: http://hotels.travelzoo.com/texas-hotels/781097
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:44 am
Original Member

Property was foreclosed upon, and the lender owns it now.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:58 pm

Programs: American Executive Platinum, One World Emerald, IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Djlawman
Property was foreclosed upon, and the lender owns it now.
I say we do what we can to keep this place in business! THis is a lovely, lovely property. I just checked out from my first stay here and am so impressed. Gorgeous grounds...the spa is fabulous...
As an RA I got 3 apples and a large bottle of Fiji water and no gift...but we didn't complain.
Anyway--the concierge told me a trick. She said to call the in-house reservations agent because they could offer packages and discounts that are not available on the web.
I thought the Kasbah food was good and the al fresco experience is lovely.
SAfe travels everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.