Search

New RA rules after SPIRE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Nickolash27
Not for me. Spending that much time in hotels means I'm never in a position of doubt about requalifying. My IHG stays are almost exclusively IC so that helps. But even if I was a less frequent traveller, hotel status achievement would fall pretty far down my list of stressors.
I hear you if we are only talking about a single year. However when you take it over a period of many years, most years I don't worry at all because, as you say, I do far more nights than needed to qualify. But sometimes a year comes along when I don't travel as much and I might worry a bit that I'll lose status and have to do many stays with lower status before I regain top status the following year. Who wants to stay 70 nights in a year with only AMB status?

And with another program, FB, you have to earn the top level for 10 years consecutive to get lifetime status. I think there were exactly two years out of the ten that I stressed a bit as we came up to year end.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
Who wants to stay 70 nights in a year with only AMB status?
Agreed but I wouldn't waste energy worrying about it. It is what it is.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nickolash27
Agreed but I wouldn't waste energy worrying about it. It is what it is.
Well not exactly. A quick phone call to the Ambassador line has gotten me an indication of whether I'm safe or I need another few nights. That's a tiny bit of energy and getting renewed is a huge benefit for the following year.

I guess it depends on how much you exploit your RA membership.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Well not exactly. A quick phone call to the Ambassador line has gotten me an indication of whether I'm safe or I need another few nights. That's a tiny bit of energy and getting renewed is a huge benefit for the following year.

I agree; the club for me is important. i do a lot of business meetings there too. it's easy and nice.

and for the reply above on the FB for 10 years. This year I did a few ME3 also as i took so many level miles from the year before i already qualified this year for next. I'm at 5 years now. I hope to fly 40-50 years more so it makes sense to get for life as the last years probably will be not that much flying.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
business meetings in the club...grrrr, =)
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by olegator
business meetings in the club...grrrr, =)
What's the problem? Don't all IC Clubs have a private meeting room that you can book out as a Club guest?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
Ahh!! =)
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by christravelblog
I agree; the club for me is important. i do a lot of business meetings there too. it's easy and nice.

and for the reply above on the FB for 10 years. This year I did a few ME3 also as i took so many level miles from the year before i already qualified this year for next. I'm at 5 years now. I hope to fly 40-50 years more so it makes sense to get for life as the last years probably will be not that much flying.
But club isn't a RA benefit, except at properties which choose voluntarily to make it one but which could similarly unilaterally withdraw this benefit.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
But club isn't a RA benefit, except at properties which choose voluntarily to make it one but which could similarly unilaterally withdraw this benefit.
True if booking the lowest level room, but I would argue that as RA if you book at least an Exec room, you should be guaranteed Club at pretty much every IC that has a Club. Certainly if you contact the reservation manager and negotiate.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:41 pm
Suspended

I'm always safe, so have never called them. What would be nice would be "reserved value" provision for the inevitable time when travel slows down (eg retirement). SQ has this for TPPS, so you get an extension of Solitaire once you fail to requalify on spend. Of course I'm arguing against myself here though because I don't believe in having published criteria for RA qualification.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True if booking the lowest level room, but I would argue that as RA if you book at least an Exec room, you should be guaranteed Club at pretty much every IC that has a Club. Certainly if you contact the reservation manager and negotiate.
This isn't the case in a number of properties I can think of. You need to pay a pretty hefty price at the IC PL for instance to get a London Exec with upgrade to lounge access. In most situations it would surely be cheaper to just use a hotel business centre?

Whether there should be lounge access for RA's is a different question. You could argue that RA is rare enough that it wouldn't be overly burdensome for properties but I typically value the free minibar and decent upgrades well above club access and wouldn't like to trade benefits.

If I want club I normally book a club room as this also tends to give me a really decent upgrade and I only book club when I am travelling with a partner.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:28 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I had RA for maybe 8 years, but travel reduced (actually nice) and I had to give up on "chasing the rabbit" . Now as AMB I don't sweat it any longer and stay at ICs and IHG brand hotels when convenient or good corp rate or so. Liberating, but I digress.

What ticks me off (and I think that is the same for most of us here based on many threads) is that on reward stays almost all benefits except the useful 4PM check out do not apply when it matters. It bothered me tremendously when I was RA and still does, but before I would consider again putting 75+ nights in with IHG and ICs to make RA (let's not talk about that Spire joke) this cr*p policy needs to change first. YMMV.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by demue
What ticks me off (and I think that is the same for most of us here based on many threads) is that on reward stays almost all benefits except the useful 4PM check out do not apply when it matters. It bothered me tremendously when I was RA and still does, but before I would consider again putting 75+ nights in with IHG and ICs to make RA (let's not talk about that Spire joke) this cr*p policy needs to change first. YMMV.
I agree it's not great policy, however in reality there are very few IC's that don't give you full benefits on an award stay. And I simply avoid those properties.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:53 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
IC resorts in Hua Hin, Koh Samui and Bali come to mind on top of my head plus some city ICs like in Tokyo or so, but yes you are right that not all are that strict with exact T&Cs though the fact that any property can change their ways at any time which does not leave great certainty.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree it's not great policy, however in reality there are very few IC's that don't give you full benefits on an award stay. And I simply avoid those properties.
Agree here, I rarely have an issue checking out at 4pm even at CP's on reward stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.