Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Busted, Uh... Roll of honor for busted Plats

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
downgraded after 1 month following status match

I requested a status match to Platinum in late November 2013. I was specifically told that the Platinum status would be good for the entirety of 2014 (which matched what I read on FT for late year status matches). In the 8 weeks since receiving the status, I've provided roughly $6000 of business to IHG properties.

This week I noticed my status had been downgraded to Gold. When I called, I was told that my status match actually expired in December and nothing could be done since it was a one-time offer. This is exactly why I asked how long the match would be good for in the first place. What's the point of a one month status match?

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I wrote asking for my Plat back, explaining clearly that I am entitled to it no matter how many stays I had last year. If this isn't resolved soon, I'm cashing in my points and outta IHG for good.
I did write to them and even attaching my plat card. The replied simply said, after checking my account i am only qualify as gold and that card was sent when i was still a plat. Tha's it.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by FinnishFlash
Exactly what I have wondered myself!

I do know many big corporations are badly managed but I just can't believe any big corp is so badly managed that they do things like that on purpose so I can only, off the top of my head, see two scenarios:

1. They either accidentally extended the status of so many of us.
2. Or they accidentally downgraded us after that promise.

I just can't see any corporation making a "let's say to all these people we extend the status and then we just won't do it, hahahaha" decision.
I think point 1 is more likely. The card sent out after they rebranded to IHG was a mistake. Hut like I said before they should just honor the mistake. May be they have now realized how "costly" given out the new plat benefit and decided to curtail as much as they can.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 1:33 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by lingua101
?.. May be they have now realized how "costly" given out the new plat benefit and decided to curtail as much as they can.
Um, what benefit? What cost?

I don't see that MANDATED plat benefits have changed at all. The only changes I've seen are more consistent room upgrades plus a drink voucher. However, whilst they represent improvements, neither are consistent, neither are mandated.

The benefits of plat remain paper thin, that's why I didn't chase the status.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: HH Dia, IHG Dia Amb, MB Ti, WoH G, OWE
Plat to Club for 4days

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
What's the point of a one month status match?
That's totally insane!

Same boat w/ me. Even, downgraded from Platinum to Club! Calling CS but seems doesn't really help. Then, forward previous conversation (correspondence from CS about my upgrading prior status match until end 2014 which contained ref#) by email to CS. Few days later, my club upgraded back to Platinum. They acknowledged "issues" numbers of member loss their status on replied email. Lesson learnt, any correspondence should get ref# to save ur butt. Good luck!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA

Last edited by olegator; Jan 19, 2014 at 9:36 am Reason: Mental Disorder
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I requested a status match to Platinum in late November 2013. I was specifically told that the Platinum status would be good for the entirety of 2014 (which matched what I read on FT for late year status matches). In the 8 weeks since receiving the status, I've provided roughly $6000 of business to IHG properties.

This week I noticed my status had been downgraded to Gold. When I called, I was told that my status match actually expired in December and nothing could be done since it was a one-time offer. This is exactly why I asked how long the match would be good for in the first place. What's the point of a one month status match?

-FlyerBeek
6000$ = 10pt/$ = 60.000 = and you are not platinum?
(or you had stays in IC outside of NA?)
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:04 am

It seems like IHG want to offer plats better benefits. The only way this is possible is by making plat more exclusive. So in the long run this seems like it will be better for most of us.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Shimon
It seems like IHG want to offer plats better benefits. The only way this is possible is by making plat more exclusive. So in the long run this seems like it will be better for most of us.
I look forward to hearing from IHG what these better benefits will be - inclusive breakfast would be a good start, but so far apart from increased points earnings I haven't seen much to mark out plat!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Puppenstein
After seeing this thread, I logged on to my account and found that I had been downgraded to Gold as well. One stay short from Platinum. I checked my other programs and I still managed to stay Platinum so far. It isn't worth getting the credit card over.
A $49/year card with a free night anywhere in the system yearly and comped Platinum status is well worth it IMHO. This may be a USA/Chase only option though?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
A $49/year card with a free night anywhere in the system yearly and comped Platinum status is well worth it IMHO. This may be a USA/Chase only option though?
The Black IHG VISA card in the UK costs £99/$158 and comes with Plat status but requires £10k ($16k) in spend before you receive a free night cert though!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
The Black IHG VISA card in the UK costs £99/$158 and comes with Plat status but requires £10k ($16k) in spend before you receive a free night cert though!
you get 30-40k points too dont forget depending on what link you use, bring on the good old days where the promo was with no fee!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by mitpat474
you get 30-40k points too dont forget depending on what link you use, bring on the good old days where the promo was with no fee!
Oh indeed so - plus 20k or so extra if it's in your Big Win Not bad at all, although still not as generous as the US card, but that's par for the course!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My guess is that, although the letters and member cards were sincere, they never actually got around to extending the status itself back then. Now, the current reps know nothing about that situation, and are lazily blowing us off. I got a reply that I need to attach a copy of the letter so they can see for themselves what I'm complaining about. Hope I can find it!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by olegator
6000$ = 10pt/$ = 60.000 = and you are not platinum?
(or you had stays in IC outside of NA?)
All overseas IC stays.

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.