Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Busted, Uh... Roll of honor for busted Plats

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by FlyingChris47
Just to add another data point...

My experience was very similar. Last year was sent the 2014 Platinum Card as well as having the mystical IHG Rewards Club - PLT(G?) - 2014 appear on my account.

First call to IHG (yesterday) was a complete dead end. Spent almost 10 minutes (as well as being placed on hold at least 3 times) attempting to explain the situation to no avail. Was told in no uncertain circumstances that I didn't qualify for Platinum and my status was correct as Gold.

Convinced I wasn't barking up the wrong tree - tried again today and the experience couldn't have been any more night and day. Got connected to an excellent rep who clearly knew her stuff. In no less than 3 minutes reviewed my account, identified that there was a problem (mentioned it was to do with an IT reset over Christmas), and reinstated my Platinum status right there and then. Fantastic service.

To echo everyone else's advice, hang up and try again if you've been sent a 2014 Plat Card.
There appears to be a trend here....

First call is a dead end, second call it's changed immediately.

No doubt they ask for your PC number on the first call in order to review the issue you are calling about. They then tell you no and record that you've called.

Now I wonder how many people just leave it at that?

Then when the persistent (probably a small amount of callers) call back everyone knows their stuff and it's changed immediately.

Coincidence?

It sounds like someone's realised they have made a mess of it and they are rejecting to start with then granting to the ones that keep calling?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:33 am

Downgraded to Gold too.

Guess I will enjoy my Gold benefits.
Priority Check in (wow so excited)
10% bonus earnings. (awesome)

Why do they even bother?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I hadn't realized I was downgraded from Plat to Gold until I saw this thread. Called today, and on the first try, agent reinstated my Plat status since she could see I was a "valued" IHG member. ^

(I had about 10 nights last year.)
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I got dumped back to Gold but I knew that going into the year when they changed the definition of qualifying on points. I'm surprised that I still made gold, but I guess I did have enough stays to qualify.

I was treated surprisingly well as a PLAT on award stays, but not enough to do 40 nights. I think that with promos IHG has some of the best earning rates per US$, especially when adjusting for some of their redemption rates.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Oddly I was fully expecting to be downgraded to Gold same way as I was downgraded from RA to AMB in Dec 2013. However, until today my status still shows as Plat AMB even though I clearly missed the Plat target to qualify by a few nights and quite a few (qualifying) points. Not complaining, but still seems inconsistent. No idea if it is related to having held RA before and the complementary "soft-landing" is to Plat AMB.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
Thanks.

I'll look up the status match email info and do the same.
data point for others recently downgraded:

emailed IHG asking to put me back to platinum matching my HH Diamond. got an email the next day stating matched to Plat thru 12.14

It's already reflected in my account. not sure how much it's worth, but with *hopes* of better PB or flash sale opportunities in SE Asia this year, i figure it should get me more than the gold would have.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: Priority CLub Platinum
Took a few emails to CS, mentioning upgrade letter in the summer, and that I have the black credit card, and my platinum status is reinstated.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pisquee
Took a few emails to CS, mentioning upgrade letter in the summer, and that I have the black credit card, and my platinum status is reinstated.
Sounds like that may be more work than a single phone call or two. I've only had to make one call per account to get it fixed.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:34 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Sounds like those who received the 2014 card are, with some effort, securing reinstatement.

Has anyone who wasn't promised 2014 Plat managed to "blag" it?

I'm still very busted!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: Too many...
Received my Plat card late last year and got busted in Mid-January. Spoke to CS tonight and got the system reset/crash line from the fairly helpful agent.

Now reinstated as Plat until the end of 2014 ^
Old Jan 30, 2014, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnredfox
For US based folks (sorry those not in US, I was in your boat 2 years ago) - this card is absolutely the easiest no brainer CC.

Free plat status (which since IHG is not giving away like candy maybe worth something finally)
Free night (just booked my $250/night in Japan, last year $300/night in Rome)
10% points back

Who else gives you top status for just having the card?
Who cares if it's top status? Hilton's mid status (HH Gold) is worth a lot more (free breakfast, free internet, and in some cases even lounge access though it's not an official benefit of Gold), and is also available for just having a card (either Amex Surpass or Citi Reserve).

Please explain the benefits of IHG top status which truimp Hilton mid-status.

(Don't misunderstand me, I still think the IHG card is great, but IHG Plat status is of spotty value at best, since it's only a fraction of IHG hotels that give a tangible benefit for being Plat.)
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:20 am

Programs: Priority CLub Platinum
If it's IHG hotel that you frequently use that give recognisable benefits for being Platinum then it is definitely worth fighting to keep. We mostly stay at Crowne Plazas in UK, and most of them (that we use) either upgrade us to a club room or suite, and/or give us club access.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Who cares if it's top status? Hilton's mid status (HH Gold) is worth a lot more (free breakfast, free internet, and in some cases even lounge access though it's not an official benefit of Gold), and is also available for just having a card (either Amex Surpass or Citi Reserve).

Please explain the benefits of IHG top status which truimp Hilton mid-status.

(Don't misunderstand me, I still think the IHG card is great, but IHG Plat status is of spotty value at best, since it's only a fraction of IHG hotels that give a tangible benefit for being Plat.)
The IHG Platinum has sometimes been better for status matches than the HHonors Gold. Other than that, the status level and related benefits with IHG Platinum status tend to be thin to a gamble -- sometimes excellent, often borderline nothing. Hilton is more predictable, with HH Gold providing more on average during stays than Platinum with IHG.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: IHG Spire for what its worth
I got the "PLT 2014" and the letter with the platinum card, even though I was a few thousand points short. As soon as I got this I did no more stays, so wouldn't have re-qualified by right, as I didn't need to.

I too was busted to gold, I go put back to Plat on my first phone call, I just waved the card at the phone and smiled nicely.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: IHG Spire for what its worth
I think they are starting to not understand how their system should work.

So I was instantly changed back to plat, but now the display showing requirements for re-qualifying has disappeared - surely it should be showing my what's needed to re-qualify for next year.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.