Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Busted, Uh... Roll of honor for busted Plats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I got a card in the mail yesterday stating my status has changed and I am no longer eligible for elite status, just "Club" status.

Funny, this happened earlier this year. I called and was told Platinum would be reinstated for the duration of the year as I had gotten one of those cards last year that said Platinum through 2014.

I see no need to call again but this program seems to be kind of screwed up. I'm still waiting on points from the "book with IHG" part of Big Win for stays I booked through their website and never got those points for, and every couple months random stays I do not make and award zero points show up in my account, which I have contacted IHG about numerous times and no resolution has taken place. Maybe they just want to get rid of me.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by underpressure
I am wondering if the change from the IHG Chase Signature Visa to the new "World MasterCard" is also going to result in them dropping the association from Platinum to Gold.
No it still maintains platinum. And now I have a card I can use at Sam's. (Discover...snicker)
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Busted again (or not)...

I received an IHG Gold Elite card in the mail this week along with a letter saying I didn't meet the criteria to remain a Platinum Elite member.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I received a status match to Platinum in late-November 2013. In January my account had been downgraded back to Gold so I called IHG. Initially I was told the status match was only good until the end of 2013 (effectively 1 month of validity, contrary to what I was told when I enrolled in the status match), but then was told by a supervisor that the match was good though 2014 and my account was upgraded back to Platinum. Since January I've been tracking with stays/spend to retain Platinum status this year.

Fast forward to this week... I received the latest downgrade letter and called IHG. I told to that my Platinum status was still good through the end of 2014 (as indicated on IHG.com) and to disregard the letter and card.

This is getting tiring, especially for a status that can be obtained with a $49/year credit card.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:26 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I received a status match to Platinum in late-November 2013. In January my account had been downgraded back to Gold so I called IHG.
I would think that the package, that should have been sent of in January, has finally arrived... After about 3-4 months.

I assume your status hasn't changed if viewed online?

HTB.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by htb
I would think that the package, that should have been sent of in January, has finally arrived... After about 3-4 months.

I assume your status hasn't changed if viewed online?

HTB.
Correct - my Platinum package arrived in late January, IIRC. Online my status continues to show as Platinum. It just seems odd that letters are being mailed in the middle of April erroneously indicating downgraded status.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:38 pm

There is no logic to the sending out of cards tbh. I didn't receive one last year at all (not a big deal nowadays anyway due to the 'live' card being available on the app anyway), however so far this year I have received three and haven't requested any.

What I did notice on the last one that had arrived is that it says 'Dec 2014' rather than just 2014.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
This is getting tiring, especially for a status that can be obtained with a $49/year credit card.
Agreed!

Almost the same situation here as FlyerBeek.
  • Received complimentary 2014 Platinum upgrade letter and card in June 2013. Stayed at Marriott for the rest of 2013.
  • Busted to Gold in January 2014.
  • Called IHG and got 2014 Platinum reinstated (shows up online).
  • Made a few IHG stays. (Qualified for Gold on revenue already.)
  • Received “soft-landing” 2014 Gold letter (with Gold card):

We wanted to let you know that your IHG® Rewards Club status has changed and we want to help you get the most out of your membership.

Although you didn't meet the criteria to remain a Platinum Elite member, we want to help you make the most of your travels. That's why we've maintained your membership at the Gold Elite level through 2014.

Enclosed, you'll find your membership card for Gold Elite status, which comes with benefits like free Internet worldwide, points that never expire and a 10% bonus on top of base points earned for every stay. You can also fast track back to Platinum Elite status by staying a total of at least 40 nights at four* different IHG hotel brands.

Sincerely,
s/Don Berg/
Vice President, IHG® Rewards Club

*Stays at only three different hotel brands are required for members in Asia, the Middle East and Africa.
There is a card that says “Gold Elite EXP 2014.” Online account still shows Platinum.
Old May 16, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: priority club, aeroplan, air miles
Thumbs up Platinum again

We called today and are back to platinum. We did get the letter last summer and I still had it. My husband had a new Platinum card attached to the letter that said expiry 2014. We argued with the agent and then asked to be referred to the manager. She argued for awhile but we said we had the letter. We knew changes were coming but had assumed they were giving some loyal members platinum because they has been that for so long. This summer we are travelling by car through the States and Canada and like the additional benefits. She finally gave in and sure enough we are platinum again. I have done status match with Best Western and Club Carlson. Now to start inputting the reward codes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.