Wiki Posts
Search

Busted, Uh... Roll of honor for busted Plats

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 1:27 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Me too. I've now discovered BW hotels provide a similar product to HI and HIX at a decent discount. I'm staying there more now. IHg have actually done me a favor by killing my plat status. BW are the Big Winner.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: rapidly diminishing
So, after seeing that others had got their plat staus reinstated after calling a couple of times, though I'd give it a try.

Called last week, got the standard script.

Called just now, got the same script (insufficient nights last yeat), politely but firmly stuck to my guns that I have a plat card in front of me, had been given renewal of plat status last year, had colleagues that have had the same problem that had been resolved, and didn't think this was a way to continue getting my business.

Put on hold for 2-3 mins while the agent spoke with a supervisor, and apparently I will be reinstated with plat status.

So, if anyone is still wondering if it's worth pushing this - try escalating to a supervisor if the agent is just sticking to the script. Seems to work ^
Old Mar 5, 2014, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Who cares if it's top status? Hilton's mid status (HH Gold) is worth a lot more (free breakfast, free internet, and in some cases even lounge access though it's not an official benefit of Gold), and is also available for just having a card (either Amex Surpass or Citi Reserve).

Please explain the benefits of IHG top status which truimp Hilton mid-status.
50% point bonus v. 25% for HH Gold
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:01 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
50% point bonus v. 25% for HH Gold
Hmmm, I can't imagine many would prefer 25% extra HiltonPesos to {enter any valueless item here}
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Originally Posted by demue
Oddly I was fully expecting to be downgraded to Gold same way as I was downgraded from RA to AMB in Dec 2013. However, until today my status still shows as Plat AMB even though I clearly missed the Plat target to qualify by a few nights and quite a few (qualifying) points. Not complaining, but still seems inconsistent. No idea if it is related to having held RA before and the complementary "soft-landing" is to Plat AMB.
I renewed Ambassador and my Plat status stuck.
Non-Ambassador spouse dropped to Gold.
I had fewer stays...
Guess I'll keep up the Ambassador program.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by flyzabit
I renewed Ambassador and my Plat status stuck.
Non-Ambassador spouse dropped to Gold.
I had fewer stays...
Guess I'll keep up the Ambassador program.
If you signed up as ambassador, then you got Platinum if that was your existing non-ambassador status, else you get Gold Ambassador.

It was guessed at that if you were plat beginning December, but not going to requal as plat then purchasing ambassador for us$200 giving you immediate Platinum Ambassador could be a good move as thought to be valid for 12 and a half months as you get part of December ++ 12 full months.

Whilst we all knew that that Gold ambassadors making enough stays get new Plat amb membership, we were hoping since Ambassador is for a year one can sneak Platinum for $200, so much cheaper than MR's

Alas for your ambassador to be Platinum again in 2015, you need to meet the stays/points requited just as if you were an ordinary IHG Rewards member.

RA's are supposedly given free Platinum, but it is pretty hard to requal as RA without meeting Platinum minimums (RA's need 60+ qual nights/year), so only referred RA's likely benefit from free Plat with RA.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:09 am
uk1
Suspended

Intended as a helpful suggestion to those suffering demotion - RA or Plat.

If your stays at properties have been very regular, never be shy of making contact with those properties at which you have enjoyed status benefits and explain your demotion and ask nicely whether they might be prepared to continue to offer status benefits after demotion if your loyalty continues.

I have been stunned to be told "with pleasure ...... "'when expecting a "no".

Last edited by uk1; Mar 11, 2014 at 11:16 am
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Hyatt (Globalist)
Would this strategy work with platinum status through the credit card if later cancelled?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:19 am

Strange
Got busted, did status match which gave me platinum till dec 2014' now received platinum card valid 2015👍
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
I expected to be busted - missed the 2013 target by about 5000 points or thereabouts - but my account still says Platinum. Never received a new card, though. I guess if it's still in the system, that's what counts.

And I didn't call.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:51 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
I expected to be busted - missed the 2013 target by about 5000 points or thereabouts - but my account still says Platinum. Never received a new card, though. I guess if it's still in the system, that's what counts.

And I didn't call.
I received my 2013 platinum card in Novenber 2013... I've never needed the plastic card, thank goodness as it's always arrived well into the year. If the website shows plat, you're plat. Seems you dodged the bullet...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Strange variant. I got busted to Gold as confirmed on my web account.

I've stayed at two HI's this week (first IHG stays this year). At both locations I've been welcomed as a plat and given the benefits including the vouchers and the water/Mars Bar.

Bizarre
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
I received my 2013 platinum card in Novenber 2013... I've never needed the plastic card, thank goodness as it's always arrived well into the year. If the website shows plat, you're plat. Seems you dodged the bullet...
Also still had Amb. status last year (downgraded from 2012 Royal Amb.). And the Amb status didn't expire in December, maybe that had something to do with it. I half expected to really be busted in February after the Amb expired, but that still hasn't happened.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I've been Platinum since 1985.

About time all you kids got off my lawn!

Seriously, the irony of those who lamented for years that the card was worthless to now be moaning the fact that you have lost that which you felt had no value is well, something I would probably do to. But this time I benefit so tough noogies.

From where I sit, 33 qualifying nights YTD, I have noticed it is a drop easier to get upgraded to the best suite available. Completed the quarters Big Win for a nice bump too.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:16 pm
In Memoriam

I am wondering if the change from the IHG Chase Signature Visa to the new "World MasterCard" is also going to result in them dropping the association from Platinum to Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.