Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by Teechop
Has anyone ever succeeded in claiming the Venetian or the Palazzo? AFAIK they are both considered IC properties and do for example recognize status such as Ambassador or the like. Would be very keen on hearing your ideas on this.
I had a claim accepted about a month back for a Nov stay in the palazzo.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Anybody dealt with Booknow.bh?

Originally Posted by tobegold
Booknow.bh is the only site I have found that charges in BHD for Bahrain hotels. No response to my email from the website, and the BRG team has been delaying approving this claim for almost 8 weeks saying they have not heard back from them.

Anybody dealt with Booknow.bh or had a successful BRG using them. HIX was 26BHD total vs 28BHD plus tax for a total 33BHD.

The BRG team has only emailed them twice and say that nobody is picking up the phone when calling (but Booknow.bh assistance is only during business hours in Bahrain).
Anybody dealt with www.booknow.bh?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: IHG, HPG, CC, HH, SW, US-AA, KLM
Any recommended sites for euro or yen currency standard?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by tangey
I had a claim accepted about a month back for a Nov stay in the palazzo.
I have now confirmation for a September weekend night (Sat - Sun) in the Venetian.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:51 pm

Just had a positive response after 18 hours
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:25 pm

If I found it a case can be a approved ?

Room on IHG average nightly is 100 USD and 130 USD include all tax and fee

but on other agent average nightly is 100 USD and 129 USD include all tax and fee
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Titan
If I found it a case can be a approved ?

Room on IHG average nightly is 100 USD and 130 USD include all tax and fee

but on other agent average nightly is 100 USD and 129 USD include all tax and fee

No. The total with taxes and fees on the other site would have to be $128.70 or less (1% difference)
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
No. The total with taxes and fees on the other site would have to be $128.70 or less (1% difference)
must compare all tax and fee ?

not a compare average nightly before tax and fee ?

-------------------

IHG BRG terms by at least 1% or $1 USD

6. c. Matching Prices - Price Variance. The nightly room price and the nightly total room cost (for one night stays) or the average nightly room price and the average nightly total room cost (for multi-night stays) must each be lower than the IHG room price and the IHG total room cost, respectively, by at least 1% or $1 USD (or the equivalent in the hotel’s currency) (whichever is higher). Coupons or vouchers may not be utilized to lower published room prices for the purposes of making a claim. The Guarantee does not include extra fees such as extra person charges, except as stated in paragraph 6.d. and 6.e.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Titan
must compare all tax and fee ?

not a compare average nightly before tax and fee ?

Both, as it says in the rules you quoted.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:06 am

IHG told me not match guarantee because room price before tax equivalent on ihg website but I found it other agent total room cost with tax and fee low rates than IHG

How can I do ?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:18 am

Thought I would share my experience with IHG's so-called "Best Price Guarantee."

Booked a room yesterday (about 10:30 AM) for a stay that night at IHG's Crowne Plaza Dallas Market Center. Price before taxes was $124.00 for the "King Leisure" room.

At the time of booking, the exact same room was advertised on hotels.com for $93.00 before taxes (the regular $124 price was struck through). I immediately (again, before 11 AM) filled out the "Best Price Guarantee" form on IHG's website (and yes, took several screen caps of the hotels.com webpage). A hour or so after this, the prices on IHG's website increased and the prices on hotels.com increased (yet stayed discounted from IHG's price).

I did not receive a response to my best price claim until 4:15 AM today, July 30. The email goes on about "Terms and Conditions" and "sole discretion," but the main takeaway was this:

Please know that we can no longer check the available rates on both website are the booking is already dated when the claim was verified.
That's exactly what the email said, grammatical errors and all. Essentially, IHG waited over twelve hours to consider the claim and then denied it because the rates were no longer available (it being the day after the stay in question).

My call to customer service was interesting. The first guest services rep I spoke with immediately offered that she agreed with me, didn't care for their review system, and thought it was unfair. She said the terms are intentionally very "strict" because 3rd party websites have agreed with IHG not to offer lower prices (one of many times in the conversation[s] with guest services when I had to politely point out that, as a customer, this was not really my concern). This rep said she was putting me on hold for a few minutes to see what she could do. The call was then immediately picked up by a completely different rep, who seemed completely unfazed by the fact that I had just been put on hold by someone else, and sought to have me relate the entire complaint again. After asking several times, she acknowledged she had no way of finding out who I had spoken with (that person never attempted to contact me). I was told guest services has no control over "Best Price Guarantee" and that department doesn't take phone calls. I asked to be escalated to a supervisor. After noting the supervisor would not be any help, the call was escalated.

Somewhat bizarrely, this supervisor insisted that what I was doing (calling guest services of IHG to complain about a response to a best price claim) was no different than "Calling Walmart to complain about Target." After I pointed out that she, in fact, works for the exact same company, she persisted with this analogy. She refused to forward me to anyone at or above the 'other department' in question, and said she would request for someone there to contact me. That, of course, did not happen. Nor did anyone respond to my request to be contacted that I sent by email.

The worst part is that at no point did IHG even offer to MATCH the lower price! The very least they could do, and not a mention of it. Their website claims "We're so sure the best prices for our hotels are found on our websites that we were the first to offer the most powerful price guarantee ever by a global travel company." While this may occasionally work out for some, I think this is a pretty empty guarantee. IHG states that consumers can exercise the guarantee by booking the higher price (directly with IHG) and then filing a claim. In reality, IHG allows itself the discretion to analyze these claims whenever they feel like it, including after the date of the booking.

My partner is a platinum elite member, an Intercontinental Ambassador member, a IHG credit card holder, etc. etc. (I prefer starwood). We simply won't mess with IHG any longer, and that will be that.

Last edited by trouble747; Jul 30, 2014 at 11:28 am
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by trouble747
T

Booked a room yesterday (about 10:30 AM) for a stay that night at IHG's Crowne Plaza Dallas Market Center. Price before taxes was $124.00 for the "King Leisure" room.
You are being very unrealistic.

Since IHG moved from phone-line supported BG clearing to contactless, 24 hour (supposedly) BRG review it is pretty obvious that filing a BRG claim 11am with checkins at say 12 noon 1hour later and by implication rooms are no reservable after 11pm 12hours later you knew already this would happen.

Previously with phonein brg validation system one could book this late and still score a brg. To be honest I am a little suprised IHG don't limit BRG claims to bookings at least 48hours before stay commences.

Some other obvious pitfalls exist too, leading to HG being unable to compare OTA + IHG room rates, eg booking last room available at a hotel for a night.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
You are being very unrealistic.

Since IHG moved from phone-line supported BG clearing to contactless, 24 hour (supposedly) BRG review it is pretty obvious that filing a BRG claim 11am with checkins at say 12 noon 1hour later and by implication rooms are no reservable after 11pm 12hours later you knew already this would happen.
I had zero experience with IHG's Best Price Guarantee prior to yesterday. There's nothing about the fine print or terms and conditions that suggests the guarantee isn't actually valid (or "realistic") if the claim is made the morning of, due to a lengthy review period. Indeed, the first CSR I spoke with said she personally viewed this as a big problem and didn't know why they moved away from phone validation (but again, I had no idea that they even previously had phone validation). I had no concept of how the system worked, and I don't think the way it functions is at all obvious or predictable. This was necessary travel for one night that happened to coincide with an instance of a 3rd party site showing a lower rate. I wasn't trolling for bargain. I'd be happy if they just matched the lower rate.

I mean, taking over 15 hours to "validate" a claim is such an enormous gap in the guarantee's coverage that the way it is advertised is incredibly deceptive. Hotel rates change constantly online. Indeed, even if this were processed in time they probably would have denied the claim because IHG itself raised the rate on the room after I booked, causing the 3rd party sites to follow suit (and thus to display a higher rate when ultimately "verified"). That's not really a best price guarantee, as I think most would understand the term.

Last edited by trouble747; Jul 30, 2014 at 4:22 pm
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by trouble747
I mean, taking over 15 hours to "validate" a claim is such an enormous gap in the guarantee's coverage that the way it is advertised is incredibly deceptive. Hotel rates change constantly online. Indeed, even if this were processed in time they probably would have denied the claim because IHG itself raised the rate on the room after I booked, causing the 3rd party sites to follow suit (and thus to display a higher rate when ultimately "verified"). That's not really a best price guarantee, as I think most would understand the term.
I 100% agree with this.

I like IHG's program. I enjoy the fairly consist plat benefits from the IHG card. I would not trust IHG's BRG at all though. It's utter crap. As some others have suggested in a previous thread, book and claim against fully cancellable rates. There's no reason to run the risk of a shoddy rejection by IHG without any recourse.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Anyone else getting denials this week because they claim the 3rd party rate is "no longer available upon our verification"? This despite the fact I can still see the lower rate on two separate computers and an iPad over 48 hrs after I submitted the claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.