Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Review Thread - Air India

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by deovrat
Good to know on-board food is still one of AI's strong suits.
Can I ask about the consistency of amenities? Were menus provided on all flights? How about pajamas or other toiletries?
No menu cards on AI 131, they didn't get the card stock so read from a hand written list. No toiletries on any flight, just a paper pack containing an eye mask and socks (that eye mask is probably designed for a child, the tightest fit across any airline). Pajamas were offered on AI 111.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by BOMflyer
Which J product in your experience was better, 787 or the 77W ?
I preferred the 787 with the 2-2-2 seating but liked the old fashioned window shades of the 77W that could provide complete darkness. The small, split J cabin in the 77W is also good if you like some semblance of privacy. So overall, a slight edge to the 787.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: 9W Plat, UK Plat, AI Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Taj IC Silver
Flying DEL-CDG and FCO-DEL business in Apr. This is my first long haul on AI (usually prefer 9W), so a bit apprehensive? What should I expect?

Is a sleeping suit offered?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
AI - the worst service in the Star Alliance

I flew AI 130 LHR-BOM on Jan 26.

The 788 pushed back 2 h late due to inbound delays. Fair enough...its LHR.

The map on the IFE did not work. The inflight service (in Y) was rudimentary at best.

I was traveling on a full Y tix. so I contacted AI for a paid upgrade. Their 1st response was contact AC. I did. AC said contact AI, so I did. AI said I could only upgrade on the day of the flight at LHR. So I tried. I was refused!

I have never heard of an airline refusing $$ for a paid upgrade? So I contacted AI customer service and asked for an explanation? To date I have only received a pro forma computer generated reply!

INO, AI has the worst customer service in the Star Alliance.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I flew AI 130 LHR-BOM on Jan 26.

The 788 pushed back 2 h late due to inbound delays. Fair enough...its LHR.

The map on the IFE did not work. The inflight service (in Y) was rudimentary at best.

I was traveling on a full Y tix. so I contacted AI for a paid upgrade. Their 1st response was contact AC. I did. AC said contact AI, so I did. AI said I could only upgrade on the day of the flight at LHR. So I tried. I was refused!

I have never heard of an airline refusing $$ for a paid upgrade? So I contacted AI customer service and asked for an explanation? To date I have only received a pro forma computer generated reply!

INO, AI has the worst customer service in the Star Alliance.
Was the Biz class full ? I agree AI has pretty bad and incompetent on the ground customer service though - but their in flight experience is pretty decent.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
I'm getting First on AI DEL - JFK for 145K miles and UA business for 175k.

Is AI first better than United business?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tomcat007
I'm getting First on AI DEL - JFK for 145K miles and UA business for 175k.

Is AI first better than United business?
Yes
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by 678flyer
Quick review...

Flight: AI 143
Aircraft: Boeing 777-200LR
Flight route: MAA-DEL-CDG (MAA-DEL on A321) on Nov 26
Booking class: Business
Seats: 2-3-2 layout, almost flat (the foot area doesn't come up fully)

What I liked:
~ Business class was barely a third full, so plenty of space
~ Service was fast & friendly, quick response when I needed anything between meals
~ Food quality & taste was excellent

What needs work:
~ Food is served all at once on a single tray
~ Entertainment system is great if you are a fan of Indian movies & music, but nothing else is available (and why does the map software not show expected time of arrival?)
~ No dedicated lounge in DEL
~ Online check in or seat selection refused to work, got some error message repeatedly (probably because of the split flight)

Overall: Not a bad flight, even though it was an hour late on departure due to some late connecting passengers. Let's see how the return goes tomorrow night.
It's October 2016 and it appears you still cannot self-select seats on split flights and I had to call in. One advantage in doing this is that they gave me a "preferred" seat in row 18, one row behind bulkhead, which supposedly costs $50, but I was not charged.

How flat is almost flat? Is it just the foot part that is not flat? Does the rest of your body lie flat, just not your feet? I'm considering upgrading the flight.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Originally Posted by askmrlee
It's October 2016 and it appears you still cannot self-select seats on split flights and I had to call in. One advantage in doing this is that they gave me a "preferred" seat in row 18, one row behind bulkhead, which supposedly costs $50, but I was not charged.

How flat is almost flat? Is it just the foot part that is not flat? Does the rest of your body lie flat, just not your feet? I'm considering upgrading the flight.
Hm. When I tried to check in a few days back, it walked me through the seat selection and then told me that I had to contact the checkin staff. At the checkin desk they told me that I was actually already checked in, they just had to print out my boarding pass.

Yeah it is almost lie flat in that your feet are angled slightly downwards. And there are occasional minor glitches on some seats (cheap seat choice? lack of maintenance? stuff like trays / TV sets not sliding out easily etc). The seat is a bit hard though compared to some others - but with my back problems that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:29 pm

Flyer On Air India's Chicago Bound Flight Gets A Special Meal Onboard, A Mid-Air Cockroach Treat

http://www.indiatimes.com/news/india...at-265647.html
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:12 am

Anyone flown AI 102 JFK -> BOM in J recently? Believe it's on a 777-300ER, I've read conflicting reports about the seats actually being lie-flat. Anyone have any insights?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:39 am

Programs: Blasé..
Originally Posted by tengel
Anyone flown AI 102 JFK -> BOM in J recently? Believe it's on a 777-300ER, I've read conflicting reports about the seats actually being lie-flat. Anyone have any insights?
Yes operated by 777-300ER with fully flat seats in J (Only 200-LR have angled seats which fly on DEL-SFO/LHR routes)
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by tengel
The seats sag somewhat near the feet, but they are almost flat.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 11:06 am

DEL-SFO Air India 173 Review Needed

Hi,
I have an upcoming DEL-SFO trip. I was weighing my options for flights and the 15 hour,direct AI flight does seem very attractive.

Can anyone provide with some feedback/review about the flying experience on this route with Air India?

Regards
Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The 772LR used in the route has business class seats that don't go fully flat, other than that its the usual AI experience.

Last edited by oliver2002; Dec 26, 2016 at 3:41 am Reason: corrected

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.