Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Why would they do that? They have a decent lounge and suite upgrades are not a Diamond benefit. You could get lucky but don't count on it, especially not for a 5 day stay.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Does anyone have any recent experience with diamond recognition here? I have 5 nights booked, Jan 15-20. I BRG'ed a king view room. Any chance they'll put us in a suite? Are they at all flexible these days on breakfast in the restaurant instead of the lounge?
I haven't stayed there in a while, but back when I was a Diamond I never got a suite. They usually upgraded to a corner deluxe room. Also, I never saw the lounge as it was always closed this time of year, so we would take breakfast that Lael's.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Why would they do that? They have a decent lounge and suite upgrades are not a Diamond benefit. You could get lucky but don't count on it, especially not for a 5 day stay.
I'm not counting on a suite upgrade - I'd book one or use a DSU if I wanted to count on it. Just looking for experiences. It's really not that ridiculous of a question, individual properties often do upgrade diamond members to suites. FWIW, I've stayed in a lot of suites this year, and I still have a DSU to burn. If it's a place where I might enjoy a suite but don't have to have it, I just ask - "No" is a perfectly acceptable answer in those cases. I'll probably ask at check-in since it's a family trip, and the extra space would be nice to have but not completely necessary. It's over a holiday and this place gets a lot of business travelers, so maybe I'll get lucky.

The only thing I really want (which I am paying for) is a view of the water, just because I never get sick of that in San Diego.

I usually don't like the lounge option, but I did some googling and you're right, it is a pretty good lounge for breakfast. I have a younger child, so it's a matter of convenience in the morning as long as the options are good. I don't even think I'll bother with the restaurant.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...att-san-diego/
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:08 pm

FYI about parking: The Gaslamp area recently changed the times in which meters are enforced. It is now 10am to 8pm (used to be 8am to 6pm). There is metered parking a block away on Market Street. If you time it right you can spend the night and not pay more than a couple bucks to a meter. But, pay attention to the street sweeping signs.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by skunker
FYI about parking: The Gaslamp area recently changed the times in which meters are enforced. It is now 10am to 8pm (used to be 8am to 6pm). There is metered parking a block away on Market Street. If you time it right you can spend the night and not pay more than a couple bucks to a meter. But, pay attention to the street sweeping signs.
Good to know...Thanks!

FWIW...I will there over the holidays and was told the Grand Club will not be closed at all.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:04 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
~ BUMP ~

Can anyone PM me the VIP manager info?

Thank you!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Does DSU still book into Conference Suite? Does it have one bedroom or two?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jerryhze
I don't remember the categories at this property, but I would be very surprised if use of a Diamond Suite Upgrade cert resulted in a two bedroom suite.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't remember the categories at this property, but I would be very surprised if use of a Diamond Suite Upgrade cert resulted in a two bedroom suite.
When I stayed in July this year a dsu landed me in a conference suite.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by jerryhze
I also got Conference suite with the DSU for a trip next week. One bedroom but you get to choose if bedroom has 1 or 2 beds. Guess if you want 2 bedrooms, you can book the connecting room.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:30 pm

On my 3rd of fourth night here.

Room: Used DSU to conference room connected to 2 double beds. Again, can also connect to room with king bed. Has 2 full bath with tubs. The bathroom in living area is ADA. I didn't mind having the extra bars to hang towels. Looks like they took 2 rooms and converted into the parlor room, spacious but not ideal layout, especially for watching TV. Furniture is pleather like at HR Toronto and HR Milwaukee. Wished the update was more like GH San Fran. 6 chairs at dining room table, but can pull 2 from living area and another 2 from bedroom for a nice gathering.

Lounge: a lot of seating (for hotel with 1600 rooms, double the amount of seating as HR Chicago, even after lounge renovation, which has 2000+ rooms.) Average/slightly below average spread. This may seem lame, but I was most impressed with the steel cut oatmeal (I'm a big fan of the stuff.) This is the only hotel buffet I've been to where it's not overcooked. The dessert offerings were better than most lounge-fancy petit fours.

I did ask, but was not able to get breakfast in the restaurant.

Parking:
Market Street: 2hour parking, no parking 3-6am MWF on one side of the street, T-Th on the other side for street sweeping.

Kettner St: 9hr parking here and elsewhere. Again, watch for street sweeping.

Even with a parade, I was able to easily find street parking for the 1st 3 nights without needing to run out to feed the meter. Perhaps dumb luck.

Overall: standard 4 star hotel experience. Every staff member I encountered were quite nice. Lots of kids. Even as a parent of 2, I could see why some may be annoyed at seeing so many in the lounge. If you are one of them and want to stay with Hyatt, consider the Andaz.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:49 am

The toilet in one of our bathrooms in our suite kept regurgitating throughout our stay, releasing a foul smell. Service techs came at 3 separate times and could not address it. We were offered another room but the kids were sleeping and we hate to pack up and relocate. We decided not to use the bathroom.

I had used points to upgrade for 4 nights (it was more cost effective to use my DSU for longer stays at PH Vienna and The Churchill in 2015.)
I asked for reimbursement of my points and was give 1/2 of my points back (12K.) I was pleased.

It goes to show that it never hurts to ask!

Last edited by thucanhho; Jan 1, 2015 at 1:30 am
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by thucanhho
On my 3rd of fourth night here.

Room: Used DSU to conference room connected to 2 double beds. Again, can also connect to room with king bed. Has 2 full bath with tubs. The bathroom in living area is ADA. I didn't mind having the extra bars to hang towels. Looks like they took 2 rooms and converted into the parlor room, spacious but not ideal layout, especially for watching TV. Furniture is pleather like at HR Toronto and HR Milwaukee. Wished the update was more like GH San Fran. 6 chairs at dining room table, but can pull 2 from living area and another 2 from bedroom for a nice gathering.

Lounge: a lot of seating (for hotel with 1600 rooms, double the amount of seating as HR Chicago, even after lounge renovation, which has 2000+ rooms.) Average/slightly below average spread. This may seem lame, but I was most impressed with the steel cut oatmeal (I'm a big fan of the stuff.) This is the only hotel buffet I've been to where it's not overcooked. The dessert offerings were better than most lounge-fancy petit fours.

I did ask, but was not able to get breakfast in the restaurant.

Parking:
Market Street: 2hour parking, no parking 3-6am MWF on one side of the street, T-Th on the other side for street sweeping.

Kettner St: 9hr parking here and elsewhere. Again, watch for street sweeping.

Even with a parade, I was able to easily find street parking for the 1st 3 nights without needing to run out to feed the meter. Perhaps dumb luck.

Overall: standard 4 star hotel experience. Every staff member I encountered were quite nice. Lots of kids. Even as a parent of 2, I could see why some may be annoyed at seeing so many in the lounge. If you are one of them and want to stay with Hyatt, consider the Andaz.
Glad to hear you were able to avoid the overpriced parking. ^
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:40 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by skunker
Glad to hear you were able to avoid the overpriced parking. ^
I was glad to pay for the admittedly over-priced parking in exchange for convenience and peace of mind as we drove a rental from Orange County.

First room checked in on the afternoon of 12/25 for 4 nights to a disastrous outcome: a room on the 8th floor on the Coronado side facing the roof of the parking structure. After several tweets back & forth with the Hyatt Concierge, we finally got a message from the hotel at around 3:35 PM that we will be accommodated. Checked in around 4:30 and was given Suite XX32/34 with awesome expansive views of the San Diego Harbor and the USS Midway

Second room checked in on the 12/26 for 3 nights and was given Suite X24-28 overlooking the same side.

Lounge: Located on the 33rd floor was specious enough, but the hoards of Diamonds during the Christmas weekend were too much for this space. Breakfast and happy hour were a total riot, except when USC played Nebraska. The staff did a tremendous job of keeping up in food and beverages with this rowdy crowd!

Awesome location in the middle of everything - walking distance to the children's museum and Gaslamp District. Good food in the lounge and very friendly service throughout. Rooms with great views if you get the right one - two thumbs up!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:58 pm

Had a short stay here. Hotel is massive and feels very spacious. Rooms are pretty large as well. DSU gave me a Conference Connector suite, which had a very large table area attached to the bed room. Would have been great for family meals indoors or even some table top games.

Lounge was excellent with your typical fare - smoked salmon, pastries, some fruits, drinks, yogurt, and a couple specialty items (breakfast burritos when I went). Fitness center was also above average with a large array of dumb bells, an actual bench press, and selection of curling bars.

Overall a very nice hotel. I would choose this one over the Andaz if coming with a family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.