Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by suite2suite
240,000 points for five nights. Are you sure?
That would be 48,000 a night for two rooms!
It is either 44,000 at the old rate which would come to 220,000 points
or 60,000 at the new rate for 300.000 points.

Now, with regard to the breakfast you missed because you overslept, someone should have told you that you could have ordered your breakfast from Room Service.
Breakfast can be ordered 24 hours from Room Service.
A good thing to keep in mind.
Right, 220,000 not 240,000. I think they indicated at check in that free breakfast by room service needed to be ordered during the restaurant's breakfast hours. I could be mistaken and have little doubt they would have accommodated us, but we were ready to start our day anyway.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
Im using point for an upcoming stay. Should I upgrade to a deluxe King for 90E a night? Or keep the Park King also got offered an Executive suite for 490E
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by 1fan
Im using point for an upcoming stay. Should I upgrade to a deluxe King for 90E a night? Or keep the Park King also got offered an Executive suite for 490E
The executive suite is a very big upgrade over the regular room in terms of size. Expensive but depends if you need the space.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by philemer
Good to know. We'll be there in Sept. and have been know to sleep in, especially after a long overnight flt. Thanks.
And you can also order ala carte, 49€ pp allowance I believe.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Last month we had our second trip to PHV and it was just as fabulous as we remembered from 4 years ago. I booked 2 award rooms and they were both facing courtyard, and both with a very nice outdoor terrace. The hotel is amazing, staff was always perfectly accommodating, we love the breakfast there and location is great for us - we walked everywhere and my kids loved it.

What a great property!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Do courtyard-facing rooms let in any cigarette smoke, even with closed windows?
I'm very sensitive to smoke.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by izzik
MAKE SURE you tell them that on your reservations and when checking in.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by izzik
We were on the 2nd floor facing the courtyard for a five night stay. I am also sensitive to smoke and only on one night noticeably sensed cigar smoke. I had no significant problem.
Brace yourself though for a lot of smoke when walking the streets and especially sitting in certain restaurants. Insanely a lot of young residents are smoking heavily...a real disturbing trend.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by point bonita lighthouse
We were on the 2nd floor facing the courtyard for a five night stay. I am also sensitive to smoke and only on one night noticeably sensed cigar smoke. I had no significant problem.
Brace yourself though for a lot of smoke when walking the streets and especially sitting in certain restaurants. Insanely a lot of young residents are smoking heavily...a real disturbing trend.
That's not a "trend" that Europe.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by point bonita lighthouse
It used to be worse actually...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:44 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Staying here this weekend after I found a great rate on a hotel reseller site - 600EUR looks better than I'd seen before. Really excited.

Concierge are active and responsive in advance, though I was shocked by the cost of the CDG pickup services. An E-Class starts at €306EUR (for a max of just two people) all the way up to an S-Class at €529. Amazingly at these rates it's even more expensive early/ late.

I think I'll try to find an Uber E-Class at €80 instead.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Staying here this weekend after I found a great rate on a hotel reseller site - 600EUR looks better than I'd seen before. Really excited.

Concierge are active and responsive in advance, though I was shocked by the cost of the CDG pickup services. An E-Class starts at €306EUR (for a max of just two people) all the way up to an S-Class at €529. Amazingly at these rates it's even more expensive early/ late.

Makes the Emirates business class roundtrip pick up even more value.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:13 am

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
Just got back from a 6 day stay some thoughts.
Cant imagine a better location great area easy to get around.
Service was top notch 5 star for sure.
We did the 306E car service pricey but nice
The black out shades are great
Will stay here again next time we are in Paris
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:01 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
You're absolutely right to do so. That's what I did last time and got a BMW Serie 7 and had a perfect transfer to the airport in it with UBER at a fraction of what the PHV was asking for.

I love this property but only for rooms above the Deluxe level. Otherwise, the rooms are quite small.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Uber sent a Jaguar XF which only turned out to be €70, with a C-Class in the other direction for €45. Not bad I used them all weekend and checking my bills they appear a fair bit cheaper than in London or New York.

Anyways, back on topic: The Park Hyatt Paris Vendome is one of the best European hotels I've ever been in - I can only think of the St Regis Florence as being at the same level.

The hotel leans heavily on Japanese style and reminded me a lot of the PH Tokyo - especially the strong spotlight effects in the hallways. They've got the classic Park Hyatt approach to customer service which has always been my favourite. Very personalised and perfect delivery without being fawning.

Our room was a Standard one and wasn't particularly large, but considering we were in Paris it was large enough. The plan for the weekend was a mix of Paris luxury and the usual tourism, and the concierge were really, really good. They sorted out ~80% of our itinerary and were always responsive in case of any last minute requests.

We were courtyard facing on the fourth floor - With the window open there was a bit of noise up to 1:30am, but I didn't notice any smoke. Those of you not sharing a room in the summer with someone adverse to air conditioning shouldn't have any issues at all, at least on the upper levels

No complaints at all, and as I somehow found a rate online for around €600 a night including €100 of breakfast it actually felt quite good value. Strongly recommended.

I'm still not a fan of Paris though, to be honest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.