Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt DIA; Hilton DIA; SPG Gold
question, the diamond amenity of wine/chocolate, is that in lieu of points or do they automatically offer that if youw ere to choose points? also, does anyone have any idea ballpark the candle/sizes for the Blaise Mautin product? thanks
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by daliugrey
question, the diamond amenity of wine/chocolate, is that in lieu of points or do they automatically offer that if youw ere to choose points? also, does anyone have any idea ballpark the candle/sizes for the Blaise Mautin product? thanks
In my experience, I requested the 1,000 HGP points amenity and also received a bottle of wine and a welcome letter a few hours after check-in.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by daliugrey
1st time requested F&B and only received that. 2nd time received both (I thought I requested F&B, but maybe they did not ask).

shampoo etc, sizes are standard 50 mL. The container is larger, but the contents are just 50 mL. They tend to replace anything that has been used even just once (containers are opaque).
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
I recently stayed at the Park Hyatt for two nights, on points, after a grueling flight from Hawaii. I really like this property. It has consistently good service, food, a great spa, and a hard to beat location.

Example of good service: I checked in at around 1:00 pm and my room wasn't ready but they offered to buy me any refreshment in the lounge I liked. The waitress recommended a fresh banana smoothie and it was delicious. My room was ready moments after my drink arrived.

I've had three different stays at this property and haven't yet enjoyed the view of the Place Vendome. The first time we had a view of the courtyard, which is smoky precluding leaving the windows open. The second time we had a view of a traditional Parisian street. This time I had a view of a nondescript courtyard. But, I was by myself for this trip and the view wasn't important to me. I also have only gold status with Hyatt. Next time I come back with family I'm going to do what I can to secure that view...

The rooms are classic modern design and could use updated TVs and the gold is starting to look worn on some of the bathroom faucets. However, I think the bathrooms are very well designed and I appreciate the non-fog mirror in the shower and bench with sink for shaving.

The location is hard to beat. It is a short walk to many of the iconic attractions of Paris such as the Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, L'Orangerie, Champs Elysees, and only a little farther to Notre Dame and the Marais.

Spa. Even though they don't have separate facilities for both men and women they have done a great job with maintaining and improving this spa. Most recently they renovated their steam room, ala Four Seasons (new marble and lighting).

I was so glad that the onion soup is still as wonderful as always and I ordered it two times.

Considerations: The beautiful courtyard is not accessible to non-smokers because though the space is large, everyone is smoking cigarettes and cigars.

As has been noted by many others, the rooms are due for a refresh.

Overall, I think this property is worth the points or entry level rates.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:51 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
I've had three different stays at this property and haven't yet enjoyed the view of the Place Vendome. The first time we had a view of the courtyard, which is smoky precluding leaving the windows open. The second time we had a view of a traditional Parisian street. This time I had a view of a nondescript courtyard. But, I was by myself for this trip and the view wasn't important to me. I also have only gold status with Hyatt. Next time I come back with family I'm going to do what I can to secure that view.
The property has no rooms with a direct view of Place Vendome and the obelisk there. Most of the rooms that directly face Rue de la Paix, you can probably see part of the Place if you lean out the window and look right.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:06 pm

very nice experience

We stayed here for 6 nights in June and liked it even more the second time around. We are Diamond so we had the buffet breakfast which was really nice and convenient. Our waiter heard that I like Mariage Freres tea so he spontaneously brought me some one morning to try. You can order any type of egg dish from your waiter and I had a few different options. Our room faced Rue de la Paix after the 1st night since we were on the top floor with slanted roof which made me feel claustrophobic. We didn't notice a lot of noise from the street. We enjoyed the Besserat champagne and Jean Paul Hevin chocolates they left in the room as well. Lots of celebs were there while we were in town so it was funny to bump into people in the elevator. We'll definitely stay here again.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
We had what I think was about our 10th stay in 10 years here over the weekend. I have some great memories of visits here over the years, including some pretty epic week or more fast free night redemptions back when FFN was around.

I'd echo the comment about the courtyard and smoke, and say that it is really unfortunate to be in Paris during the summer for this reason. Not just the Park Hyatt, but pretty much all outdoor seating is overrun with heavy smokers. We wound up sitting inside on number of occasions because the smoke was so bad in outdoor areas.

My wife summed up the stay this way, the hotel location, food and service are still excellent, but the rooms are starting to show some age. Also, for those not diamond, we noticed that they were offering platinum guests a 2 for 1 deal on the breakfast, that effectively drops it to 22 EUR per person.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:05 am

Stayed here for 2 nights in June with my four children. Frankly, I was not impressed for the money/points that it would usually cost.
Arrived with my 14/11/10/8 year old daughters to discover that the 3 rooms that we had booked months before were all on different floors. Every other hotel we stayed in for this trip made every effort to put us close together and even apologized if there happened to be a single room between us. I asked if there was anything they could do to fix it and was advised that there were no options.
Stayed as diamond (which they repeated incessantly, probably a dozen times before I got settled into my room, maybe they have a lot of DYKWIA stay here?) and they did what they had to do for us, but nothing more. We were offered breakfast amenity for one of the rooms for two people. When I asked if we could use all 4 breakfasts (2 nights for 2 people) on one morning, the desk agent did not know and promised to check and get back to me, this was the last I heard from her.
Rooms were clean, but not amazingly so, with some dirty corners in the bathroom of ours. We didn't care about it, but I can guarantee that others would (we are in the hospitality business).
Guides for television would not go off of French. Again, did not really matter to us as we weren't all that interested in the television.
Our room was very small and the bathroom was not even close to the amazing one described by other guests, not even a bath tub.
Used our breakfast amenity to order room service breakfast, since I had received no response about four breakfasts one morning in the restaurant. They forgot part of our order, although, to their credit, they delivered the rest quickly once they were notified.
Upon checking out, we asked for them to hold our bags for us until late in the afternoon, as we had an overnight train to Berlin in the evening. I explained that we were in the front of the lobby with our bags. Desk agent dutifully noted this and called someone and indicated that they would take care of it. After finishing with the formalities, I went out to where the rest of the family was and waited for someone to collect our bags. . . and waited. . . and waited. Sent my wife to the Intercontinental where she was checking out her parents (we couldn't get a 4th room at PHV for them). . . and waited. Returned to the front desk to see if I had somehow misinterpreted earlier, as my French is not good and her English is not great. No, she was quite surprised that no one had helped us. Returned to my children and bags in the lobby and waited a little more. Finally, someone with what I thought was a pretty bad attitude managed to accept our bags for storage, probably about 20 minutes waiting in all.
They also never posted my diamond amenity points.
Overall, I found the service to be somewhat lacking (particularly for a 5 star property) and, although I could not point to anything specific, felt like they weren't really especially happy to have a family stay here.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:28 am

Any other FTers there in the beginning of August? We will be from July 31 -Aug 5th with two kids (12 & 14) if anyone wants to meet up.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Stayed here for 2 nights in June with my four children. Frankly, I was not impressed for the money/points that it would usually cost.
Arrived with my 14/11/10/8 year old daughters to discover that the 3 rooms that we had booked months before were all on different floors. Every other hotel we stayed in for this trip made every effort to put us close together and even apologized if there happened to be a single room between us. I asked if there was anything they could do to fix it and was advised that there were no options.
Stayed as diamond (which they repeated incessantly, probably a dozen times before I got settled into my room, maybe they have a lot of DYKWIA stay here?) and they did what they had to do for us, but nothing more. We were offered breakfast amenity for one of the rooms for two people. When I asked if we could use all 4 breakfasts (2 nights for 2 people) on one morning, the desk agent did not know and promised to check and get back to me, this was the last I heard from her.
Rooms were clean, but not amazingly so, with some dirty corners in the bathroom of ours. We didn't care about it, but I can guarantee that others would (we are in the hospitality business).
Guides for television would not go off of French. Again, did not really matter to us as we weren't all that interested in the television.
Our room was very small and the bathroom was not even close to the amazing one described by other guests, not even a bath tub.
Used our breakfast amenity to order room service breakfast, since I had received no response about four breakfasts one morning in the restaurant. They forgot part of our order, although, to their credit, they delivered the rest quickly once they were notified.
Upon checking out, we asked for them to hold our bags for us until late in the afternoon, as we had an overnight train to Berlin in the evening. I explained that we were in the front of the lobby with our bags. Desk agent dutifully noted this and called someone and indicated that they would take care of it. After finishing with the formalities, I went out to where the rest of the family was and waited for someone to collect our bags. . . and waited. . . and waited. Sent my wife to the Intercontinental where she was checking out her parents (we couldn't get a 4th room at PHV for them). . . and waited. Returned to the front desk to see if I had somehow misinterpreted earlier, as my French is not good and her English is not great. No, she was quite surprised that no one had helped us. Returned to my children and bags in the lobby and waited a little more. Finally, someone with what I thought was a pretty bad attitude managed to accept our bags for storage, probably about 20 minutes waiting in all.
They also never posted my diamond amenity points.
Overall, I found the service to be somewhat lacking (particularly for a 5 star property) and, although I could not point to anything specific, felt like they weren't really especially happy to have a family stay here.
I am surprised to read this as all of our stays have been great with no real issues, but then it's only been two of us.

Question when you made the reservations did you note a request for adjoining rooms or did you expect them to automatically do it? I have found traveling abroad to make any requests in writing at the time of reservation and then check the record to make sure it's there. Just a thought.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by spellbound2
We stayed here for 6 nights in June and liked it even more the second time around. We are Diamond so we had the buffet breakfast which was really nice and convenient. Our waiter heard that I like Mariage Freres tea so he spontaneously brought me some one morning to try. You can order any type of egg dish from your waiter and I had a few different options. Our room faced Rue de la Paix after the 1st night since we were on the top floor with slanted roof which made me feel claustrophobic. We didn't notice a lot of noise from the street. We enjoyed the Besserat champagne and Jean Paul Hevin chocolates they left in the room as well. Lots of celebs were there while we were in town so it was funny to bump into people in the elevator. We'll definitely stay here again.
Mariage Freres is the brand of tea PH Vendome currently offers. Their tea bags are also in the rooms.
The difference between the tea bags and what they serve for breakfast is PH do their own blending using Mariage Freres tea leaves which they buy in bulk and in my opinion their english breakfast blend has too much of a vanilla taste.

By the way did you make a special request for your room or suite to be on rue de la Paix?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:00 pm

I couldn't say for sure whether I requested adjoining rooms, I booked 10 different hotels for our 16 night trip and thought I requested adjoining (or connecting) rooms each time, however, it is certainly possible that I missed one or two.
An update to the diamond amenity bonus not posting. I have been corresponding with HGP customer service today and their initial response to my request to have the points posted was that the hotel showed that I was never there! At their request, I sent the receipt to show that I was indeed there. Ever since, I have been going back and forth with them, with them claiming repeatedly that I am not supposed to get any points because it was an award stay and they only give out 5 point/$ and me going back to them (3X) explaining that all I want is my diamond amenity points.
I think I must be Hyatt cursed!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:47 pm

Just completed a fantastic stay. After reading this thread and everything else about this place, I really wasn't sure what to expect. It was a level of luxury above what I am used to, for sure, and probably won't be topped for some time.

We booked two rooms on points, for 2 adults and 2 children. A few weeks before arriving, I requested rooms near each other and, if possible, a street view, and that's exactly what I got. One of our rooms was upgraded to a deluxe and the other was a standard, and they connected. The difference between the standard room and the deluxe room was not that significant -- I guess perhaps because we had two connecting rooms the entire layout seemed very spacious and so the difference between the standard and the deluxe did not seem that major. I guess for two people staying in the standard, it would feel more cramped. You could open the windows and stand on the little balconies above the rue de la paix, and easily see the place vendome column by turning to the right. I did not read this thread very carefully before our trip, so chose F&B as my amenity and received the standard wine and macaroons, but not the points.

The automatic black out blinds are dangerous. We overslept dramatically one morning, missing our free 200 euro breakfast, which still steams me a little!

At 240,000 points for five nights, this was a pretty significant blow out for us, and very expensive in terms of points. Trying to get a suite and upgrade it to a room that would accommodate 4 with cash or more points was definitely something I considered, but, in the end, I had enough points, wanted connecting rooms and the ability to close and open the door between the two rooms as required, and so that's what I booked.

The service was fantastic. We got in around 11:00 a.m. and were told that our rooms would be ready around 1:30. We had beverages in the lounge and then did a quick walk down to the Louvre, coming back up toward the Opera (stopping at the monoprix to grab a few provisions for the room), and by the time we returned our rooms were nearly ready.

I just cannot emphasize the level of service. I suppose if you're used to ultra-luxury, none of it is surprising, but I was not accustomed to it. Every request we had -- nothing unusual, we're pretty low maintenance -- was taken care of with zero fuss and immediately. Nobody says, "no." Nobody says, "talk to the other guy." They just take care of what you want. One time, I sent the family back to the hotel in a cab when they were tired and they wanted to take a nap, but I wanted to keep exploring. Due to our ultra-sophisticated pickpocket prevention system :0), I had the money and credit cards and forgot about it, so they showed up at the hotel with nothing and unable to pay the cab without going up to the room to get some dollars out of the safe to change to euro. The doorman didn't bat an eye, said he would take care of it, they could simply go up to the room, and it would be added to our bill. It was done virtually silently and immediately with zero fuss.

We had a somewhat early flight out on departure day, just barely enough time to eat at the restaurant. The night before we arranged for a cab and for our luggage to be picked up while we went down stairs and ate breakfast. We walked out of the room a few minutes before 6:30, ate, and at the appointed time -- around 6:50 -- our cab was loaded up and ready to go. Again, with zero fuss, nobody saying it was someone else's department, no need to call anyone or anything. We simply mentioned to the concierge at night what we wanted and how big a cab we needed, and the next morning, poof, it was done.

I have nothing negative to say about this hotel. Not a thing. Location isn't perfect, but it's really good. We didn't charge much at the hotel, but what we did charge was very expensive. I can't believe that I paid 30 euros for a single drink, but I was happy to do it (once!) at this wonderful place.

Last edited by lkar; Jul 16, 2014 at 5:52 pm
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by lkar
Just completed a fantastic stay. After reading this thread and everything else about this place, I really wasn't sure what to expect. It was a level of luxury above what I am used to, for sure, and probably won't be topped for some time.

We booked two rooms on points, for 2 adults and 2 children. A few weeks before arriving, I requested rooms near each other and, if possible, a street view, and that's exactly what I got. One of our rooms was upgraded to a deluxe and the other was a standard, and they connected. The difference between the standard room and the deluxe room was not that significant -- I guess perhaps because we had two connecting rooms the entire layout seemed very spacious and so the difference between the standard and the deluxe did not seem that major. I guess for two people staying in the standard, it would feel more cramped. You could open the windows and stand on the little balconies above the rue de la paix, and easily see the place vendome column by turning to the right. I did not read this thread very carefully before our trip, so chose F&B as my amenity and received the standard wine and macaroons, but not the points.

The automatic black out blinds are dangerous. We overslept dramatically one morning, missing our free 200 euro breakfast, which still steams me a little!

At 240,000 points for five nights, this was a pretty significant blow out for us, and very expensive in terms of points. Trying to get a suite and upgrade it to a room that would accommodate 4 with cash or more points was definitely something I considered, but, in the end, I had enough points, wanted connecting rooms and the ability to close and open the door between the two rooms as required, and so that's what I booked.

The service was fantastic. We got in around 11:00 a.m. and were told that our rooms would be ready around 1:30. We had beverages in the lounge and then did a quick walk down to the Louvre, coming back up toward the Opera (stopping at the monoprix to grab a few provisions for the room), and by the time we returned our rooms were nearly ready.

I just cannot emphasize the level of service. I suppose if you're used to ultra-luxury, none of it is surprising, but I was not accustomed to it. Every request we had -- nothing unusual, we're pretty low maintenance -- was taken care of with zero fuss and immediately. Nobody says, "no." Nobody says, "talk to the other guy." They just take care of what you want. One time, I sent the family back to the hotel in a cab when they were tired and they wanted to take a nap, but I wanted to keep exploring. Due to our ultra-sophisticated pickpocket prevention system :0), I had the money and credit cards and forgot about it, so they showed up at the hotel with nothing and unable to pay the cab without going up to the room to get some dollars out of the safe to change to euro. The doorman didn't bat an eye, said he would take care of it, they could simply go up to the room, and it would be added to our bill. It was done virtually silently and immediately with zero fuss.

We had a somewhat early flight out on departure day, just barely enough time to eat at the restaurant. The night before we arranged for a cab and for our luggage to be picked up while we went down stairs and ate breakfast. We walked out of the room a few minutes before 6:30, ate, and at the appointed time -- around 6:50 -- our cab was loaded up and ready to go. Again, with zero fuss, nobody saying it was someone else's department, no need to call anyone or anything. We simply mentioned to the concierge at night what we wanted and how big a cab we needed, and the next morning, poof, it was done.

I have nothing negative to say about this hotel. Not a thing. Location isn't perfect, but it's really good. We didn't charge much at the hotel, but what we did charge was very expensive. I can't believe that I paid 30 euros for a single drink, but I was happy to do it (once!) at this wonderful place.
240,000 points for five nights. Are you sure?
That would be 48,000 a night for two rooms!
It is either 44,000 at the old rate which would come to 220,000 points
or 60,000 at the new rate for 300.000 points.

Now, with regard to the breakfast you missed because you overslept, someone should have told you that you could have ordered your breakfast from Room Service.
Breakfast can be ordered 24 hours from Room Service.
A good thing to keep in mind.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by suite2suite

Now, with regard to the breakfast you missed because you overslept, someone should have told you that you could have ordered your breakfast from Room Service.
Breakfast can be ordered 24 hours from Room Service.
A good thing to keep in mind.
Good to know. We'll be there in Sept. and have been know to sleep in, especially after a long overnight flt. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.