Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:27 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by ajnaro
I noticed this ‘newbie’ thread and since I have never stayed at a Hyatt as far as I can recall I thought I might ask for some insight. I have been thinking about giving Hyatt a try, but it just never worked out because I have Platinum status with SPG (and Accor, for whatever that is worth) so I always wind up booking with Starwood (or IC in the specific case of Hong Kong and a few other cities due to lack of a Starwood I like). From what I read on FC, Hyatt must be is very nice, but now that status match has been eliminated, I seem to have missed the boat. Is there really any point in trying out Hyatt without status match? Is there some particular city where Hyatt is so outstanding that it might be worth it? Any suggestions for 2011 would be welcome.
ajnaro - good to see you over here. Whether or not Hyatt is better than SPG (or any other chain) really depends on your travel patterns. For example, SPG is considerably better in SFO while Hyatt is miles ahead of SPG in Paris.

As to the status match issue, IMO Hyatt probably has "too many" elites right now so they've suspended the status match program. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring it back at some point in the future though (no inside information though) otherwise they'll be behind with the other chains poaching their elite members without any "replacements".
Old Dec 20, 2010, 3:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaninchen
Hi there,
....P.S.:My next journey in early 2011 will be a spontaneous trip to SFO.
Which is the best way to get a reasonable rate for the Hyatt hotel? Some friends of mine used to have a promotion code or corporate code (?) for this hotel and managed to book a room for around $ 100.
Probably the cheapest Hyatt in SF is the Hyatt near the airport. However, it's not really walking distance to public transit into the city of SF, you'd have to take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and then get on BART (which currently is charging around $5 extra each way for people getting on/off at the airport station).

I recommend you check all three Hyatts in SF, on any given day it's unpredictable which is cheapest. Bear in mind that a Priceline or Hotwire booking won't count for purposes of earning nights towards Diamond.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:14 pm

Discount/corporate codes?

Does Hyatt have a discount code similiar to Hhonors MVP rate?

I'm using the AAA code right now but the rates are still a bit high.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:44 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by seychellesbound
Does Hyatt have a discount code similiar to Hhonors MVP rate?

I'm using the AAA code right now but the rates are still a bit high.

Thanks in advance!
That's a very good promotional rate program that Hilton is running
In fact I have used it myself more recently when I didn’t see value with another competing brand or program.
I can say Hyatt has offered some great value over the past year that would certainly compare or exceed the MVP promotion that Hilton is currently featuring...........

Unfortunately there is nothing in particular that stands out presently with the exception of some individual properties that feature special rates and packages. Keep in mind that Hyatt now offers AARP rates and anyone at any age can take advantage as long as someone 50 or over is the primary member and adds you on their account which would make somebody eligible.
As with all rate plans your satisfaction will vary

FYI If you don't care about points or miles during your stay you may wish to review another very unique opportunity that many Hyatt guests are aware of called the "Hyatt Stay certificate" this gives folks the opportunity to gift others or use themselves to have a stay at most Hyatt’s and frequently for far less than the lowest available published rates like the AAA rate you currently have booked.
The other nice aspect is you can combine these stay certificates with eligible rate plans so that you may still earn stay credit and some miles and or points if you may be seeking to earn elite status as well as some mile /point earnings along the way

Perhaps another fellow Ambassador or poster can think of some other Hyatt rate promotion or discount more currently that I may be missing in my reply here........
Happy Holidays and thanks for your question enjoy your stay with Hyatt!

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 28, 2010 at 11:36 am
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Unfortunately there is nothing in particular that stands out presently with the exception of some individual properties that feature special rates and packages. Keep in mind that Hyatt now offers AARP rates and anyone at any age can take advantage as long as someone 50 or over is the primary member and adds you on their account which would make somebody eligible...
In many cases, California Hyatts have had cheaper Senior rates than AAA rates. Before I turned the big 5-0, I had success calling & asking for a Front Desk Manager (FDM) on property and having them match the senior rate for me. I've also received a better rate by calling the FDM and saying with a smile - "I'd rather stay with you, but the Hilton has a rate of $xxx - I'd really appreciate anything you could do anything for this poor, lowly Hyatt Diamond member". Note: Diamond suite upgrades are ineligible with manager's rates.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
In many cases, California Hyatts have had cheaper Senior rates than AAA rates. Before I turned the big 5-0,.....

Are you saying Hyatt defines a "senior citizen" as 50 and older?
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by poptarts
Are you saying Hyatt defines a "senior citizen" as 50 and older?
The terms and conditions stated with Hyatt doesn't consider someone worthy of the lowest available Senior Rate until 62 years or older.
With exception of AARP rates which Hyatt prices higher than Senior rates.
Historically I can't remember seeing a hotel company have two different senior rates.
I find it very strange that they have chosen to do so making two age groups of seniors those 50 to 62 and 62 and up

With Priority Club and Starwood Preferred Guest a senior is a senior as long as they have an AARP card
There isn't a higher and a lower rate for seniors its simply 50 and up.
Have also observed that the Hyatt AARP rates seem to be the same typically as AAA rates unless
there is some other package or promotion with AARP at the time.Some of these can be of exceptional value.

The Senior Rates with Hyatt for those 62 and older are simply superior
If there is an upside with Hyatt at least there are more options than years past

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 28, 2010 at 11:54 am
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
With Priority Club and Starwood Preferred Guest a senior is a senior as long as they have an AARP card
And what if a senior doesn't have one, either because they don't want to be a member of said organization or they simply can't (think globally)?

Seems to me Hyatt is treating AARP as a membership-based organization like AAA or Costco. You have a membership card with that group, you are eligible for their negotiated rate/discount/benefits. The fact that AARP puts a minimum age restriction on their membership doesn't really matter.

If you are a senior citizen (as defined purely by age), you are eligible for senior citizen rates where offered.

Makes complete sense to me.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
And what if a senior doesn't have one, either because they don't want to be a member of said organization or they simply can't (think globally)?
Seems to me Hyatt is treating AARP as a membership-based organization like AAA or Costco. You have a membership card with that group, you are eligible for their negotiated rate/discount/benefits. The fact that AARP puts a minimum age restriction on their membership doesn't really matter.

If you are a senior citizen (as defined purely by age), you are eligible for senior citizen rates where offered.

Makes complete sense to me.
Very well said ^

I couldn't have said it better if I tried. If I was in a posistion at Hyatt
the very first thing I would do is merge the two rate plans into one senior rate as they do at some other chains.
AARP and those 62 or over. I would be sure to differentiate with a lower rate as they do for 62 and over.
Cuts confusion and gives superior options to those that may consider staying elsewhere.

That is correct they are treating AARP exactly like AAA
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Actually this is a new addition. They had only a senior rate until they redid the site recently.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by mmgm
Actually this is a new addition. They had only a senior rate until they redid the site recently.
Agreed however AARP rates did exist with Hyatt Place previously because the Amerisuites brand had them before turing into Hyatt Places.
Now there appears to be a full extended agreement with AARP at the full service properties too..........
Old Dec 29, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Hyatt Platinum, Choice Hotels, Marriott
When is the last day to add 1 more stay to become a higher class of membership?

Now I'm a gold tier and have 4 qualified stays for YTD and needs just 1 more stay to become a platinum tier.
It's Dec 29 today, close to the end of this year.
My qeustion is WHEN IS THE LAST DAY TO ADD 1 MORE STAY TO THE LAST 4 STAYS TO BECOME A PLATIUM TIER?
Which one of the following is the last chance if I have a plan to stay one more night?
1. 12/31/10 check in - 1/1/11 check out
2. 12/30/10 check in - 12/31/10 check out
3. 2/28/11 check in - 3/1/11 check out
4. 2/27/11 check in - 2/28/11 check out.

I know YTD means 1/1-12/31 in general, but heard that it's allowed to go thrugh the end of Feb giving us somthing like grace period to upgrade or maintain the tier. And the other thing is I'm not sure if the end of day means the basis of check out or check in date.

Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by LEESUNGJAE

Now I'm a gold tier and have 4 qualified stays for YTD and needs just 1 more stay to become a platinum tier.
It's Dec 29 today, close to the end of this year.
My qeustion is WHEN IS THE LAST DAY TO ADD 1 MORE STAY TO THE LAST 4 STAYS TO BECOME A PLATIUM TIER?
Which one of the following is the last chance if I have a plan to stay one more night?
1. 12/31/10 check in - 1/1/11 check out
2. 12/30/10 check in - 12/31/10 check out
3. 2/28/11 check in - 3/1/11 check out
4. 2/27/11 check in - 2/28/11 check out.

I know YTD means 1/1-12/31 in general, but heard that it's allowed to go thrugh the end of Feb giving us somthing like grace period to upgrade or maintain the tier. And the other thing is I'm not sure if the end of day means the basis of check out or check in date.

Thanks.
Our Ambassador pleasure to assist!

The last stay technically for elite qualification is 12-30 out on Dec 31rst.
January check outs historically are qualification typically for the new year in most programs
That being said I would almost be certain that the good folks from Gold Passport would be more than happy to consider a good will gesture if your check in takes place before Dec 31.

You may wish to call Gold Passport for the exact wiggle room here should they wish to consider anything else to assist your quest to achieve Platinum status.
Perhaps they have something special promotionally that they may be able to offer you as well.

Cheers and thanks for the question
May your New Year include Gold Passport Platinum status!

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 29, 2010 at 9:04 pm
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:56 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
No idea what the correct answer is here, maybe the lurkers can help.

IMO, get the night NOW
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Option 2 is the only sure thing. You could probably talk GP into giving you the required credit for option 1.

Last edited by todorovic; Dec 30, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.