Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Hilton rolled out the complimentary Wi-Fi earlier than originally planned!

* Beginning in June 2015, premium Internet access, where available, will be rolled out globally and will be free of charge for Diamond members when they book directly through a proprietary Hilton channel or via one of our corporate travel partners.
* Starting in August, we will extend complimentary standard Wi-Fi access to Blue and Silver members when they book their stays directly through a proprietary Hilton channel or one of our corporate travel partners.
* Complimentary standard Wi-Fi will continue to be a benefit for HHonors Gold members who also book directly through our proprietary Hilton channels or one of our corporate travel partners:
  • The Hilton HHonors mobile app
  • Online from hilton.com, HHonors.com, or any of our brand/hotel websites
  • Calling Hilton Reservations Customer Care: 1-800-HHonors or your local Hilton reservations office
  • Calling an individual hotel (plus walk-ins and physical on-property too)
  • Via corporate travel agencies and travel professionals that book via a Hilton proprietary channel
* This update doesn’t apply to hotels where there is a resort charge (except for Diamond members complimentary premium access - Post #6).
* This offering will not be available until August through September in EMEA and APAC.
* Free standard Wi-Fi will continue to be a benefit for Hilton HHonors Gold members who also book directly through our proprietary Hilton channels one of our approved travel agent partners.
* Free standard Wi-Fi will be available on June 4, 2015 for all HHonors members who book directly at all StayConnected properties globally.
* The HHonors Terms and Conditions will be updated on June 4, 2015 to reflect these changes.
Print Wikipost

Hilton Wi-Fi Update

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: HHonors-Diamond, IHG-Gold, AA Platinum, National-Exec Elite, Avis-First
Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
I'm very glad to see HH responding to this debacle they created. And thank you, Erin, for helping voice our collective feedback on this issue over the past few months.

Selfishly, I'm really glad to see Diamonds being comped the premium speed. I've been a fan of how Marriott does this for Gold and higher, and am really happy to see Hilton adopting a similar model, albeit just for Diamond.

But I'll reserve my full enthusiasm until I see how much better the "premium" speeds actually are in practice. I suspect it'll be a slight improvement over the free tier, but still worse than 3G in a 3rd world country. Unless HH addresses the minimum requirements for ul/dl speeds at the free and premium tiers, this announcement is just smoke and mirrors. They'll succeed in stroking the egos of Diamonds, but they'll still fail in delivering acceptable internet speeds for the year 199... er 2015.
I'll take ego stroking and ANY improvement (better then current 56k dial-up) over ignoring us and no change.^

Heck I remember being the coolest kid on my block with a smokin fast 2400 baud modem... granted sites back then didn't have graphics or pics so it WAS fast.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:16 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by ctbarron
Any limits on the number of devices under this new program?
Hi ctbarron,

There is a limit of three devices for any Wi-Fi offerings you purchase, but for any complimentary Wi-Fi uses, there is no device limit.

Cheers,
Erin
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Not really, as pointed out by dw up thread the top two tiers at Starwood, Hyatt and Marriott get hi speed wifi. As a gold I have lost my free useable wifi that I had last September.

Furthermore, it is you that has been asking repeatedly what the brand standard is for internet. Anecdotally this appears to be between 0.5 and 1 Mbps, presumably blues and silvers are now going to be enticed to stay at Hilton properties with the offer of free internet, only to be disappointed to find that it cannot actually be used for anything. I see no claims by guests at Marriott, Hyatt or Starwood that the basic free internet is useless. This is at best deceptive.
You are absolutely correct. And, I should have know since I previously posted this in another thread:

"Marriott Rewards Platinum and Gold Elite members will continue to enjoy an exclusive benefit – free enhanced Wi-Fi, where available."

My bad. I'll amend my prior post.

While I am glad to see Diamonds get the premium, it is still gonna suck that all others have to put up with "service" that can look like this:

And, yes, I have been asking what the brand standard is for internet speed.

But, it increasingly appears that we are going to be limited to drawing some rather conservative, and disappointing, inferences from empirical evidence.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Mar 2, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
I have just asked at a Hilton hotel in the UK about this.

I was told that there are no plans to offer a faster internet speed for anyone here.

I told them about this enhancement to Diamond and was told - may that is in the USA, but the service is different in the UK and will not change!!!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Not really, as pointed out by dw up thread the top two tiers at Starwood, Hyatt and Marriott get hi speed wifi. As a gold I have lost my free useable wifi that I had last September.
As long as Golds continue to receive room upgrades/lounge access, I am willing to accept slower wifi. Many Diamonds have been complaining about the need to better differentiate Golds and Diamonds. This is one way of doing it.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:25 pm

Attention HHonors Gold Members! Free Towel Use at HGI!

I assume this headline will be coming in a matter of days. You see ALL Hilton Garden Inn guests receive the standard Internet for free (think tortoise speed). If you show enough loyalty to reach Gold level, that's still all you get - standard speed. But they advertise "Free Internet" in the Gold Level Benefits description as if it is some special perk reserved premium members. It's not. Since this absurd attempt at "value" seems to be Hilton's MO, why stop with just wifi? I mean everyone gets a television and bed linens, so how about adding that to the perks description for Gold members too?

Bottom line, if you're HHonors gold level this is a slap in the face. You either must pay for the better Internet option or settle for the slow speed. Here's a better idea - head over to Marriott. Gold level members get the fastest internet option at Marriott for free.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:35 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

While I am glad to see Diamonds get the premium, it is still gonna suck that all others have to put up with "service" that can look like this:

And, yes, I have been asking what the brand standard is for internet speed.

But, it increasingly appears that we are going to be limited to drawing some rather conservative, and disappointing, inferences from empirical evidence.
Well precisely, and I maintain it is misleading and deceptive to claim to offer free internet when the internet is not serviceable.

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
As long as Golds continue to receive room upgrades/lounge access, I am willing to accept slower wifi. Many Diamonds have been complaining about the need to better differentiate Golds and Diamonds. This is one way of doing it.
Seems it is horses for courses. I am happy to go to a new city and not waste a couple of hours drinking cheap brand beers with lonely men. I am also happy for my shower curtains to not be curved. Makes little difference to me. But I do have to work when I am away on leisure. If the internet is bad then I cannot stay there.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:38 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Good news

Although essentially this gives free internet to all now.

So Golds might find the speed reduced.
Agree...
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: CENTURION, SPG-Gold, HH-Diamond, ANA-SFC, JAL-JGC, MX-Diamond, LHW Access, CLUB 5C, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

As you know, we value your feedback tremendously and have been listening closely to what you have to say to help us continue to evolve the HHonors program. And, thanks to your thoughts and input on our Wi-Fi offerings, we’ve decided to make some updates as we know this is one of the HHonors benefits that matters most to you. Details below:

Erin
Thanks Erin, good news!

Do you mind if I ask you silly question?
What difference between standard Wi-Fi access and Premium Wi-Fi access?
only speed?

Thanks,
masahiro
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I assume this will also be a new product.

Can't say I have seen any Hilton with premium wifi in the UK recently - or indeed in many parts of the USA.
Quite widespread in the USA in the last couple of months or so.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

That's the speed I posted last week for the free internet at the Hampton Inn Lexington, VA. So you can understand my hesitation to be happy about this announcement.

If the "premium" is only 2x or 3x faster than this, it's still going to be an unacceptable speed.

Erin, can you please ask your team if there are plans to publish the minimum standard that is expected for both free and premium connections?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Thank you Erin!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:50 pm

I have just asked at a Hilton hotel in the UK about this.

I was told that there are no plans to offer a faster internet speed for anyone here.

I told them about this enhancement to Diamond and was told - may that is in the USA, but the service is different in the UK and will not change!!!
The Doubletree in Bristol UK have been offering premium (faster) internet to Diamonds and Golds since early this year. Mind you their basic speed internet is free for all guests.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
GREAT!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
You really need to make sure that ALL properties offer true premium internet for Diamond members otherwise it'll just be like IHG where it slows to a crawl for everyone.

I also don't see what Golds are being offered that is any different to Blue or Silver and why they are then highlighted differently in the statement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.