Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport {FRA} (France)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport {FRA} (France)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2003, 8:22 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sergio:
[b]
Originally posted by Super Larry:
Just checked-out this morning. We arrived yesterday at 10:15am and they checked-us in without any problems. As Gold, was upgraded to a corner room (560) Staff was great, the dinner buffet was fabulous. In complete agreement with the positive comments. Highly recommend it.

How did you get around town that day?
</font>

The Hilton is about 100 meters away from the RER station. It takes you to Gare Du Nord train/metro station. from there you can connect to the metro and go anywhere you want.

We paid the one day pass for both RER/Metro 16 Euros. In half day (we were on a MR) we've seen the Eiffel Tower, l'Arc du Triomphe, had a baguette sandwich on the Champs Élysés and even some time for shopping at the Galeries Lafayette.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 1:04 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mileageslave:
Nice hotel, but a bit far to use as a Paris base. Big upgraded room and lounge use....</font>
Agree, to far from Paris IMO, to make it your base, but for the night before your flight or if you arrive late, it is a wonderful hotel and you (in my experience) will get upgraded as Gold/Diamond and get lounge access.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 7:44 am

Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport Hilton

Hi:

I was trying to book some award stay in August in Paris. The only that we could find was the airport Hilton? Definitely, not good compared to staying in the Hilton close to the city centre?

What do you folks thing about this? Is it going to be painful and time consuming going to the city from the airport hilton.

Thanks
Goodflyer
Old Jun 10, 2003, 8:18 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
goodflyer,

If you are attempting to see the city then this is not a good location.

While access to the city is easy via the train, it is not close by and you would waste a great deal of time traveling to and from the city.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 8:36 am

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
The CDG Hilton is great if you have an early flight, but not if you want to see Paris. It is right on the airport property, one of the really good airport Hiltons IMO (food, club lounge, shuttle service). But it's about 30 minutes from the city by tain and you will see nothing other than airport if you stay there.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 8:39 am

It's actually a very nice hotel, but I second the opinion above. Even if you catch one of the Express RER trains it's about 45 mins to Gare du Nord and late at night, I think the trains are a bit dodgy (even when there are Police on board with sub-machine guns).

The Paris Hilton is a much better location to see the city.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 9:00 am

I been to Paris many times. I always stay at CDG. You probably need to take the metro anyway. Experience Paris like the locals.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could try this for some more info.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/006340.html
Old Jun 10, 2003, 4:35 pm

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
It's a very nice Hilton, but once you pass through the doors, you will barely even know that you're in France, let alone Paris. It is indeed a poor place to base from if your goal is to experience Paris. What I would suggest you do is get yourself a serviceable 3-star (or 4-star, if you need that)in an active neighborhood and enjoy Paris 24/7. Book into something with some real Parisian character and save the Hilton award for a trip where it will be an asset instead of a liability to your experience. (Now, should I tell you how I REALLY feel?! ).
Old Jun 10, 2003, 8:30 pm

I'm just back from an award stay at the Hilton Paris in the city. If you're a diamond HHonors just use the diamond desk and they'll be able to help you book your award there. If not, you can keep trying. Tourism in the city was very low and there are many threatened strikes that may take place over the summer. We experienced a museum strike and just missed a large transportation (metro and airport) by a day.

If you want a nice location try the Rue Cler area which is close to the Eiffel Tower. Rick Steves has a lot of information on his website and in his book about this area. We walked there nightly for dinner from the Hilton and felt that it was the closest to the real Paris atmosphere.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 6:53 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I believe it depends on your situation.

If you have been to Paris before AND like/love it AND don't see yourself getting there anytime soon AND really want to burn that award (not spend some $), then I would take the award at the Hilton CDG.

BUT staying in Paris is to me what makes the whole experience.

We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express* next to the Peripherique (Place D'Italie). While it took us 5-10 minutes to walk to the Metro, we were walking through Parisian neighborhoods, great for the feel and great for picking up cheap food items as we were outside the tourist areas (lots of local markets/restaurants). As noted above, you will not get this flavor staying at the CDG Hilton.

*We just stayed here through a last minute (three days before we left) hotels.com rate (over New Year's) for $71US per night. Every other place was outrageous price wise (nothing under $140US)

------------------
Visit FlyerTalk Dining http://flyertalk.com/diningfr.shtml
Old Jun 11, 2003, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree with Sweet Willie there. The Hilton CDG is a fine hotel (stayed there with Rudi once for convenience on the night prior to our transatlantic flight), but do give it your best to try to stay in the city itself.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 4:32 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
BUT staying in Paris is to me what makes the whole experience.

We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express* next to the Peripherique (Place D'Italie). While it took us 5-10 minutes to walk to the Metro, we were walking through Parisian neighborhoods, great for the feel and great for picking up cheap food items as we were outside the tourist areas (lots of local markets/restaurants). As noted above, you will not get this flavor staying at the CDG Hilton...

[/B]</font>
Can someone explain this Paris hotel thing. I have enough trouble dealing with the metro, restuarants, etc. since I speak very little French. The CDG has been an oasis to me where I am in an American style hotel.

[This message has been edited by sergio (edited 06-12-2003).]
Old Jun 12, 2003, 6:12 am

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
sergio, it's the difference between "seeing" Paris and truly being a part of it; "living" the Paris experience. For me, the idea of commuting in to see some sights vs. waking up in the morning and looking out on Paris streetscape and walking out for a cup of coffee and a croissant a few doors away... Staking out a neighborhood "headquarters" for the duration of my stay where I get to know some of the local characters a little bit -- even if only by observation for many... Coming home late through a favorite Parisian neighbood down "my street" and ending up at "my place"...

It's about having the sights, sounds, smells and everything else that is Paris 24/7. I'm not there to have an American-style hotel room or that kind of experience at all. It is your choice to make, but it would diminish the experience greatly for me to stay outside of the city in such a sterile setting.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 11:25 am

If you want to experience late night entertainment, for a example see a late show, a disco or a night club you're going to have problems using the metro to return to the hotel because it stops at midnight until early in the morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.