Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:39 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I just called the Diamond line to check on my tier expiration date, last year I qualified via spend on Surpass and I ended up qualifying with stays anyway as well. According to the Diamond line my current expiration date is March 31, 2018, so I guess I'm good until at least 2017 before I worry about it (or I may wait until 2018 and just spend a bunch starting 1/1/18 to get it via spend as quickly as possible).
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Would a secondary cardholder (staying under thier Honors #) be eligible for Gold status or does it only apply to the primary and their Honors account?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by adobe
I could not find a answer to this,

so I currently have the no annual fee version of AMEX Hilton HHonors card, I received the sign-up bonus for this card. I had this card for less than a year, so I have never upgraded this card to surpass card.

Now, can I apply for the surpass card and received the 100K current offer? I never had the surpass card before.

If the surpass card and the no-fee card are considered two different products, then I should be able to receive the 100k sign-up bonus on the surpass card, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks!
Yes you can do this as it is a separate product. So you can have both the no fee and fee card open and get the bonus on both. Since your no fee card is less than a year old it is ineligible for the upgrade due to the CARD act.

You can also wait until your card is over a year old and upgrade it, but risk the bonus being lower, although it could go higher at some point as this has been the trend.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by miasmal
Same situation here. My no-fee Amex Hilton is only a few months old. Last night I signed up for the 100k offer on the $75 Amex Surpass. I got approved and my Amex account page reflects the addition of the new card.

Once I get the physical card, I'll charge $3k and verify I get the 100k HH points. To be continued ... will report back.
There is no doubt that you will get the bonus after meeting the spend in time unless you have had the Surpass before.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Would a secondary cardholder (staying under thier Honors #) be eligible for Gold status or does it only apply to the primary and their Honors account?
Gold status is tied strictly to the HH account # of the primary card holder.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:26 pm

Downgrading

Annual fee coming due end of month, already have diamond thru 3/2017 and few paid Hilton stays planned. Would Amex have issue with me downgrading to no fee now and upgrading back to Surpass in March of 2017?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 4:05 pm

Thanks for the reply! I already applied and was approved for the surpass card.

Now the question is, when the no fee card reaches the 1st year anniversary, and assuming that I get the upgrade offer. Will I still be able to upgrade and receive the points? Or do I have to close the surpass card before that?

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
Yes you can do this as it is a separate product. So you can have both the no fee and fee card open and get the bonus on both. Since your no fee card is less than a year old it is ineligible for the upgrade due to the CARD act.

You can also wait until your card is over a year old and upgrade it, but risk the bonus being lower, although it could go higher at some point as this has been the trend.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by WNtraveler
Annual fee coming due end of month, already have diamond thru 3/2017 and few paid Hilton stays planned. Would Amex have issue with me downgrading to no fee now and upgrading back to Surpass in March of 2017?
Nobody knows.

In the past you could do what you are asking.

The one constant in this hobby/game is the banks change/tweak the rules constantly. What the conventional wisdom was in the past does not apply to the big three issuers (AMEX being one) in many cases today. What holds true today will most likely be ancient history in March of 2017.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 4:15 pm

Thanks for the reply! I already applied and was approved for the surpass card.

Now the question is, when the no fee card reaches the 1st year anniversary, and assuming that I get the upgrade offer. Will I still be able to upgrade and receive the points? Or do I have to close the surpass card before that?
Apparently we were typing at the same time. What I wrote in my last post is applicable to your question. Since we are not fortune tellers no way to now if you can upgrade and receive the bonus points in the future, recommend when you surpass a year with the no-fee account keep checking to see if you have a bonus offer to upgrade and read the T & C carefully. I "think" your best shot would be if the Surpass was closed first as the T & C will likely state that not eligible if you have this card open (perhaps/likely ever as it is now with most of their offers). But that is just my best guess and the fact that I do not recall reading about anyone with multiple Surpass cards open in the past even before AMEX went to the once per lifetime bonus per card.

Last edited by isle-hawg; Apr 11, 2016 at 4:22 pm
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Originally Posted by miasmal
Same situation here. My no-fee Amex Hilton is only a few months old. Last night I signed up for the 100k offer on the $75 Amex Surpass. I got approved and my Amex account page reflects the addition of the new card.
I received the new Surpass card with a note that they would also be cancelling my Amex Optima Plat card due to no activity in 12 months. (It's probably more like no activity in 150 months or something like that ) I'll miss it for nostalgia's sake - any reason why I should hold onto it? I currently have Amex Plat, Surpass Hilton, and no-fee Hilton (spend on no-fee will go to 0).
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:55 am

Well, I spent 3k on the new surpass card as soon as I received the card, the 100k points posted already.

The 1st statement is still two weeks away, and the annual fee has not yet posted.

Can I cancel the card at this point to save $75? I am a diamond member, so this card does not offer any added benefit to me anyway.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:45 pm

Well, I spent 3k on the new surpass card as soon as I received the card, the 100k points posted already.

The 1st statement is still two weeks away, and the annual fee has not yet posted.

Can I cancel the card at this point to save $75? I am a diamond member, so this card does not offer any added benefit to me anyway.

I think you have already agreed to pay the $75 fee and most likely it will still show up on the first bill. Why not be happy with the 100k points you just got. Maybe even consider using the card for some charges and giving AMEX some business in exchange for the value you have received.

I have read some comments questioning claw back of points, but I would support AMEX taking your points back if you proceed with that strategy. I realize you have met the minimum spend but put yourself in their shoes.

Just my 3 pennies.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:45 am

I applied for this card on 4/10 for the 100K point offer. Due to website issues, I ended up submitting 2 apps. I called on 4/11 and had them cancel one. Still sitting in In Process status. I called again on Friday and spoke with a rep. He said he would try to get it approved within 24 hours. Still sitting in In Process. I have a 5 nights booked at a Hampton in a couple of weeks.

Has anyone else had delays like this? I have an excellent CR and wondering what it takes to get them to approve someone.

If I do get the card can I update the existing reservations to be guarantee with it?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 2:11 pm

Perhaps you could? On the other hand, perhaps the miles get clawed back and or you are stuck with the fee regardless and you wind up on AMEX **** list. Is it really worth the risk of the later to potentially save $75 that just banked you 100K HH points?

I think of this hobby as a marathon, not a sprint. I think it best to keep cards open for at least 8 months to not make it so blatantly clear to banks that I am in it solely for the sign up bonus and some how get on their radar in a bad way. This is my recommendation to you as well.

Should you decide to keep it for some all all of the remainder of its fist year, you may want to consider actually using it for future HH spend at 12X or Gas Stations, Restaurants and grocery stores at 6X.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:08 pm

While I still await approval for my new HH Surpass card, I received an offer in the mail today from AMEX for a Platinum card for my very small business with a possible 250,000 point bonus????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.