Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Prague Old Town {CZE}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2008, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador (lifetime Platinum), Avis Presidents Club
Arrow Hilton Prague Old Town {CZE}

MODS--Feel free to move this to a master thread for this property if there is one--I did a lazy search but only found a few threads that were more questions/answers.

My wife and I stayed in the Hilton Prague Old Town over the weekend and had a fabulous stay. We booked the internet EUR 119 rate (single beds lol) and were upgraded on arrival to a King Executive Room. Check-in was seamless--I noted our noon arrival on the instructions, and we ended up a little early. Room was pre-assigned as an upgrade and ready for us. We were also granted access to the executive lounge. Room wasn't anything spectacular, but after expecting a single bed, I was thrilled. Within a few minutes of checking in, housekeeping came up with two beers and a welcome note for us. We never frequented the bar or restaurants . . . well we didn't need to . . . the best part of this hotel was the executive lounge. Free continental breakfast (and if you ask for hot stuff they'll tell you there's a charge, but then they waived it each time). The best part of the executive lounge though . . . free booze (and it was open 6am to 11pm). And when I say free booze, think international business class lounges . . . liquor, wine, champagne, and beer, all self service. We ended up having breakfast in the lounge daily (the lounge attendant XYZ (I'll send his name to Hilton) was awesome), then for an hour or so before dinner and an hour or so after dinner.

Housekeeping was also really good---folded our used clothes, etc.

Hotel's location is decent--short walk to the Old Town.

All things considered, I'd highly recommend this hotel.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1 Million; HH Gold; HGVC
My wife and I stayed at the Hilton in Prague. However, this sounds dif - "short walk to Old Town." Is there a new Hilton or has there always been another one I did not know about?
Old Mar 2, 2008, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
Originally Posted by david7021
My wife and I stayed at the Hilton in Prague. However, this sounds dif - "short walk to Old Town." Is there a new Hilton or has there always been another one I did not know about?
Additional Hilton in Old Town as of late last year - used to be a Renaissance - across from Marriott
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:35 am

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Hilton Prague Old Town

I would like to stay at the Prague Old Town but it's a little pricey. Does anyone have any suggestions for codes or coupons to cut the cost?
Old May 1, 2008, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA-Plat, DL-Gold, IC-Plat, Hyatt-Plat, HH-Dia, Amex-Plat
Prague: Hilton Old Town (April/May, 2008)

Prague: Hilton Old Town (May, 2008)

The location of the Hilton is quite good; only a couple of minutes walk and you can be in Old Town Square. However, personally I find the hotel far too sterile.

Check-in was efficient.

The exec lounge is located directly off the check-in desk and provides the standard free liquor, beer/wine, and pseudo-champagne. The snacks consist primarily of some spiced nuts, and the occasional small platter of cold uninspired appetizers. A very-small room off the lounge’s small main area has two tables and a desk with a decent computer/Internet; however no printer. There is a definite lack of comfortable seating in the lounge; no couches or lounge-style chairs to be had here. That’s OK though, you probably won’t want to stay too long anyway. Breakfast is good with a do-it-yourself cappuccino maker and a decent selection of breakfast meats, fruits, and cereals. If you want hot items, expect to pay.

I was given a king non-smoking (EU 179) on the 8th floor. I'm Diamond, but didn't request the Exec floor as they gave me lounge access. I don’t know if the 9th level exec floors are superior, but my room itself is fine.

Internet access from the room is good but rather high at CZ 579/night (USD ~37).

The hotel car service has been quite good; but expect to pay about 2x the rate of a AAA taxi off the street.

Gordon Ramsey has opened, or at least lent his name to, a restaurant in the hotel. Food is good and prices seem pretty reasonable, starting at around the same price as Internet access.

I'll try the Marriot across the street next time...or maybe tomorrow.
__________________________________________________ ____
Old May 2, 2008, 9:13 pm

Programs: DLDmd1M, Marriott LTPlt, Hilton Dmd, Hyatt Dmd & too many others to be paying taxes in my hometown
Originally Posted by IronMan99
The hotel car service has been quite good; but expect to pay about 2x the rate of a AAA taxi off the street.
__________________________________________________ ____
Becareful of just any taxi off the street--it can cost you much more than the car service if you get one that has an "interesting" way of doing math. Let the Hilton staff call your cab--they know the good ones. Nice hotel & quick walk to Old Town. There is a grocery & pharmacy on the way too.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
end of June, 2008

Hilton Prague Old Town
V Celnici 7, Prague, Czech Republic 111 21
Tel: 420-2-21822100 Fax: 420-2-21822200
General Manager: Remco Norden

Hilton HHonors Reward Category: 5 (35,000 points per night)

No, this is not the Prague Hilton, as mentioned previously; it is indeed the rebadged and refurbished Renaissance, not too many yards from Staré Mésto (old town,) much more convenient than the Prague Hilton for walkers and those who prefer being closer to everything that Prague has to offer.

Our check-in (standard non-smoking king booked) was handled efficiently, we were lodged on the ninth floor Executive Floor and granted access to the smallish Club Lounge (accessible via your room key, situated to your immediate right as you face the check-in desk, open 6:30 - 23:00 / 11 PM.) Hint: if there is a queue at check-in ask to be let into the Lounge, as lounge staff can presumably check you in as well.

The Executive Floor room is the same size as the standard seems to be, but is provided with terry robes, slippers, snack bag, courtesy bottles of still water every day and copies of the Financial Times delivered daily as well. Our room has views of a number of rooftops, but it is possible some other rooms have views. The room is not large, not small (for Europe.) Those who stay in their rooms for a long time may find it confining, I suspect. Furnishings include a bed with end tables, a desk with HSIA cable and chair, a lounge chair with Ottoman, a Philips LCD television above the ubiquitous and expensive minibar, coffee machine, small closet with safe (hanging locker with about 10 hangers, a few shelves,) and there are three deeper shelves adjacent to the minibar.

The rooms are some of the most sound-proof I have ever stayed in - the door closes with a rubber gasket, and sounds like a high-end large car when it closes. Even though we were given room 901 next to the elevator banks, we could hear only slight noise (not enough to request a more distant room,) and even the occasional kids running down the hall were muted. There are both an ice machine and a shoe shine machine in the first open door down the corridor to the left of the elevator banks as you face them - across from room x34, which I would avoid.

Furnishings are in medium-coloured wood and the overall effect reminds one of an upscale Scandic - functional and somewhat minimalist, which some may indeed perceive as sterile. Room lighting is just adequate in the room at night, and the large openable window is covered with a curtain with reasonable blackout properties. There are also an ironing set and hair dryer (in closet and bath, respectively,) and the nice well-lit bath is provided with the usual La Source amenities. There is one towel rack, and the ubiquitous signs about hanging towels you wish to reuse on the racks. Hansgröhe plumbing makes it all work well; the towels are fluffy but not bath sheets or even large towels, though by day 3 the housekeeper was leaving bath sheets for us. N.B. There is no clock - the hotel was not designed with electrical outlets near the bed area, ergo no clock, according to the G.M. (Lighting by the bed is built-in.)

Air con is European - central air with "auto" and three speeds, and a potentiometer allowing hot to cold - but in the end, even with weather just over 80F / 27C, you will probably find the air con so inadequate you will find the thick duvet entirely stifling. (The bed is quite comfortable, with a feather bed and two down pillows.) We were using the terrycloth robes instead of the thick duvet... but the excellent housekeeper noticed and left a (empty) duvet cover as a top sheet on our bed thereafter. ^ (I have left her a 30 CZK / USD $2.00 tip as thanks daily.) The bathroom has plenty of illumination, and a multi-voltage multi-prong outlet for shavers.

The only restaurant here is Gordon Ramsay's third iteration of "Maze" - quite good but pricey indeed. The resto is entirely nonsmoking, service and food are very, very good - attentive and accurate. The lobby bar is definitely a smoker (about 2/3 of the area,) and though the menu says smoking is not permitted, the well-used ashtrays give the lie. The lounge does offer snacks and pub grub, all cooked in the Gordon Ramsey kitchen, so it is quite go[B]od food
. N.B. This paragraph is no longer accurate - Gordon Ramsay has suffered a financial setback and this is one of the restaurants he has closed; preparing meals for the room service and lobby bar was one of the factors mentioned in this restaurant losing money. I do not know who operates the restaurant services now. Link to related article. (Updated August 15 2009)

Within one block are pizza and fast foods restaurants, the grand French Francouzská Restaurace in the beautiful Municipal House nearby (great concerts in the lavish Smetana Hall here,) a "Yessi" takeout (sandwiches, salads, quiches, pasta, desserts, etc.), and a Billa supermarket - as well as ATMs / cash machines / bankomats (HSBC to the right of the hotel is nearest, and the Marriott across the street has one as well, in the rear of the lobby area near the WCs.) (As with many tourist destinations, one should exercise watchfulness at outside ATMs - but the neighborhood seems safer than some of the very impacted tourist lcoales. As of this post, the exchange rate is USD $1.00 = CZK 15.177.) (AVOID the ubiquitous cambios /change houses stating "NO COMMISSION" - the exchange RATES are as stacked in their favour as the machines in Las Vegas are in the house's.)

The Club Lounge is nonsmoking, and offers as stated above, a sparkling Czech wine, a red and a white, a number of low/medium end liquor offerings and soft drinks, waters, juices, all day. Some small sweet cakes are out at "tea" time, one tray of early evening micro-hors d'oeuvres (tiny bite-size open faced "sandwiches" with cold meats, etc.) and nuts are provided and apparently is not replenished (sometimes staff is not good about replenishing other consumables, such as still and sparkling mineral waters, etc.)

Early in the day the lounge is not full - but 'round 10:00 it is full of families with children taking leisurely breakfast and relaxing, at least in summer, and it can be tricky to find seating. A PC with accessible USB ports and Skype installed is provided, with an HP 990 deskjet, and very good HSI connection - but limited access is the rule due to popularity, unless you get it late at night or early morning - more than once during our stay families have used the PC for entertaining their children, instead of for business or e-mail. Two more PCs (no USB access, but connected to low-end HP 6127 color deskjets) are provided in an Internet cubby behind the Concierge's desk (near the WCs - and quite noisy due to the proximity to the canned music and nearby lobby.)

Breakfast is an "extended Continental" affair, with no hot dishes on the counter - four juices, a few breads, cheeses, jams, charcuterie (cold cuts, sausages, fish including smoked salmon, etc.) a selection of often underripe and not at all flavourful, as well as a few preserved, fruits, and a self-service cappuccino machine with Illy café - served 6:30 - 10:00 AM. You can in fact order an omelet made to order from the Lounge attendant, at no cost (we were never offered such, but on seeing another guest order, I inquired - it did seem to take 10 minutes or so.)

Many restaurants are within walking distance - we found Bellevue, Smetanovo nabrezi 18, just up from the Charles Bridge and fronting the Vltava River, excellent. Lovely river views (though a large tree does cut off most guests from castle and bridge views,) with some of the best food in Prague, and excellent service to boot. This is a nice restaurant, requiring bookings for dinner, with an excellent degustation menu (example) with a wide range of international wines (including a very nice Tanzberg Mikulov 2005 Pinot Noir.) More information on Bellevue, as well as nearby and good riverviews Mlynec, and zatisi at their website.

Across the Charles Bridge, within walking distance but also available by taxi under 200 CZK, is Kampa Park, with great river views (try the downstairs balcony or the ground level terrace in nice weather,) Na Kampê 8b - just NORTH at the far end of the bridge and bordering on the Kampa canal. Access it via the gate adjacent to the Kampa Park children's playground (NOT where it is in the Moon book map,) for dinner or lunch, 364 days a year 11:30 AM - 1:00 AM. www.kampagroup.com lists their restaurants. Their Hergetova Cihelna across the canal has great views, but uneven food and service (though the strangely-named Nove Vinmstri 2007 Cuvée Asparagus (sauvignon blanc and veltliner blend) was refreshing and grapefruity - and welcome with fish on a hot day.)

Near the Klementinum on Karlova at Liliova near the Charles Bridge is Reykjavik, with inside and street seating, and lots of seafood, as you would expect. Yes, in the tourist zone, but good for a meal anyway - especially handy if you are attending a concert at the lovely and intimate (across the street) Klementinum or its Mirror Chapel, as we did last night, where W. A. Mozart played.

We just settled in the evening of June 27, after arriving from Bratislava by rail. Holesovice station was a bit of a zoo, but we found a cab without problems - 370 CZK to the hotel, being sure the taxi was official and the meter on (if you want a taxi, there is a "taxi mafia" kind of guy who assigns the next driver - keep an eye on the meter etc.) Two taxi companies listed as reliable include the ubiquitous AAA and Profitaxi - our experiences with them have been Sterling.

BTW, the great airport van shuttle service - which unfortunately does not begin service early enough for some to make their flight - is located less than a half block up the street (turn right as you exit the hotel main entrance, with comfortable large vans half-hourly.)

Diamond recognition seems fairly good, with upgrades and lounge access - the lounge can seem cramped at times, and in my opinion is often underserved, particularly when compared with better Hilton lounges (especially Budapest castle!) for sure. One young woman is attentive, the rest seem disinterested and distant at best. (The lady concierge in the lobby mornings is very helpful, and she is the better source of information.)

As we were checking out early July 2 for our 7:55 departure, I requested both a wake-up call and Express Checkout. Express Checkout was not provided, but the woman at the desk was rapid and accurate, and apologetic about the Express Checkout not being provided.

N.B. I listed this lounge staff issue in my commentary to the hotel, as well as a comment about the lack of clock in the room. I received an e-mail from the G.M. by the time I returned home stating the reason for the lack of clock (lack of wiring near the bed and cost of installing same,) stating he would assure a clock for us when we return, and that he had taken my concerns to the Lounge staff and discussed it with them. That is very rapid response, and by the G.M., no less. ^

We left July 2 early for the US, with the intent of putting some photos on SmugMug in the next week. Would I stay again? Yes.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 15, 2009 at 7:32 am Reason: add / update / edit after more time spent
Old Jun 28, 2008, 1:34 am

We stayed here in May/June 2005, when it was Reinassance, were not impressed at all, it was not much more than a glorified motel 6 then, with staff attitude, specially the front desk. Had a room with a courtyard view. It was then purchased by a private equity group and perhaps sold or rebranded as Hilton. Seems like things are much better now. Location is great and just a short walk to old town. There is or at least was a bowling alley across the street, at the end of the block of Marriott. It was a fun break from all the sightseeing for a 28 year old traveling with us.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 2:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'll add as the stay develops, but I'm glad there have been many changes - the hotel is comfortable, staff is attentive, and location is of course much closer to the Staré Mésto than the pre-existing Hilton.

We've hunted down cafés or the like, including possibilities in the Marriott andit's non-smoking lobby bar for pub snacks, for light munches - a pizza palce to your left as you exit the hotel, a fast food and takeout and Billa supermarket to the immediate right of the Marriott, and the streets to old town are lined with cafés and the like.

Originally Posted by lovetotravel
We stayed here in May/June 2005, when it was Reinassance, were not impressed at all, it was not much more than a glorified motel 6 then, with staff attitude, specially the front desk. Had a room with a courtyard view. It was then purchased by a private equity group and perhaps sold or rebranded as Hilton. Seems like things are much better now. Location is great and just a short walk to old town. There is or at least was a bowling alley across the street, at the end of the block of Marriott. It was a fun break from all the sightseeing for a 28 year old traveling with us.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 30, 2008 at 12:11 am Reason: update
Old Jul 3, 2008, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Looks like this has become the de fact Master Thread for this hotel. Mods might want to label it as such.

Just got back from the Hilton Old Town Prague on June 29. I basically agree with JDiver's very informative comments, though I'm just a bit less positive about the hotel. No real complaints, especially since my wife and I stayed on points, had breakfast and lounge access comped as part of my gold status, and found the location very convenient. Just that the room is on the small side, lacks drawer space, doesn't have great air conditioning (though fortunately we didn't encounter any really hot weather) and is otherwise undistinguished. Similarly, the hotel as a whole isn't anything really special, though I that agree the new restaurant (or at least the room service we ordered) is very good. Spent so much time just walking around Prague (which is an incredible city) that I didn't check out the health club.

One more positive feature that I'm not sure others have mentioned is that there is free internet access at a couple of terminals in an area just behind the concierge desk.

I'll try to post separately re our Prague visit, but one restuarant I wanted to flag because it's just a few blocks from the hotel is a place calls Zvonice. Quite good food in a unique setting--near the top of an old bell tower. Kudos to MikeSilv for letting me know about it.

Bottom line is that if I were to return to Prague I'd check out other options, but would certainly stay at this hotel again without any problem.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Jul 3, 2008 at 8:05 pm
Old Aug 8, 2008, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
One more positive feature that I'm not sure others have mentioned is that there is free internet access at a couple of terminals in an area just behind the concierge desk.
We're flying to Prague early next week and have stays at both Prague Hiltons. We wonder whether it's worth taking our laptop along. As Diamonds we hopefully expect lounge access and are wondering if there are any free wireless signals. We don't intend to pay the US $35-40 a day I gather the Internet service costs.

Shall we just leave the laptop at home and look for an Internet cafe if the lounge computers are continually tied up?

Thanks for any info!

Cheers,
Fredd
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We're in the midst of a week in Prague and I may have to file a more thorough dissenting report comparing and contrasting the Old City Hilton negatively with the Prague Hilton in much more detail.

We spent our first two nights at the Prague Hilton, for us about a a 7-8 minute brisk walk away from the Old Town Hilton, where we just checked in this morning and left our luggage.

At the larger Hilton we were immediately whisked to the Executive Floor, offered a glass of sparkling wine as we checked in to our river view room on the lower executive floor, and found a nice little bottle of domestic white wine (albeit too sweet for our tastes) in the room along with a welcoming letter.

The lounge is fantastic, as far as we are concerned, certainly in the same league for us as the Munich City Hilton and the Buenos Aires Hilton, but much larger, with a room at one containing FIVE computers online for guest use. This morning before checking out we elected to eat at the Lobby-level Atrium restaurant, which was our option as Diamonds, and we enjoyed one of the better buffet breakfasts we've had in some time, featuring both Czech and American specialties.

When we returned this afternoon to the Old Town Hilton after leaving our luggage, we had to raise the issue of why we were not granted access to the Executive Lounge. The desk clerk said we were "too late"and there was no room on the Executive Floor.

We pointed out that the new policy applies as of tomorrow (another clerk at the counter confirmed that as well) and we are here for a four-night stay. Awhile later the desk clerk came up to our room with new keys giving us access but asking us not to "tell anyone." What nonsense! Oddly enough, our welcome letter here was signed by the Lounge manager but didn't offer us anything. I'm really curious as to how full the executive floors really are that there is supposedly "no room" for us.

I am now sitting in this rather lame excuse for a lounge and wondering whether to suggest the manager give us our pre-paid room rate back and we'll be happy to relocate back to the other Hilton. As far as I'm concerned, it's close to a dump compared to the other Hilton, which I would point out is also only a 2-minute walk from the closest Metro stop (walk out of the Florenc station, turn right and walk 10 yards, cross at the crosswalk and walk through the corridor of businesses (sort of a mini-mall across the street) and there you are at the entrance. For us it's just a few minutes of additional walking to the Old Town and we walked our rollaboards from one Hilton to the other this morning in about 7-8 minutes.

No, if and when we return to Prague our choice will be a no-brainer.

Cheers,
Fredd

P.S. there seem to be a number of threads about these two but computer use is so limited that I don't have time to find the best thread. Mods - please feel free to send this to a more appropriate thread.

Edited to add: Now I'm annoyed. I just saw a room clerk pop his head in the door and show a couple the lounge, saying to them "everything is free." I swear he's upselling it and yet there wasn't room for us as Diamonds two hours ago. Grrr...

Last edited by Fredd; Aug 21, 2008 at 9:37 am Reason: Upselling Lounge Access!
Old Aug 15, 2008, 6:56 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
Glad to be hearing some reports strt to filter in on Old Town - I'm headed to Prague for new Years. There have alsways been rave reviews of the Hilton Prague, but the Old Town location was intriguing. Sounds like if I'm staying Hlton, I'll go to the original and have a nice walk into Old Town.

Curious....for any posters who have stayed in Old Town location...did you get a chance to check out the Marriott which is across the street?
I'm also considering staying there....
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:39 am
Suspended

[QUOTE=mdaecher;10205560]Glad to be hearing some reports strt to filter in on Old Town - I'm headed to Prague for new Years. There have alsways been rave reviews of the Hilton Prague, but the Old Town location was intriguing. Sounds like if I'm staying Hlton, I'll go to the original and have a nice walk into Old Town.

/QUOTE]

Will be in PRG in a weeks time booked the Hilton Prague basically cause it was less pts then H. Old Town and since people were saying its a 10 min walk between them

From reading the above posts Im happy I did just that

As for the Marriott I'll be there for 1 night as well 25k on a pt saver usually 30k (got to say MRs pts saver dont really save anything near to what a HH pt saver will save you a Cat4 goes from 30k to 18k now thats a Savings

Will try and remember to report back
Old Aug 16, 2008, 3:49 pm

As for the Marriott I'll be there for 1 night as well 25k on a pt saver usually 30k (got to say MRs pts saver dont really save anything near to what a HH pt saver will save you a Cat4 goes from 30k to 18k now thats a Savings

Will try and remember to report back[/QUOTE]

That'd be great - especially a perspective from someone like you who stays at both HLT and MRT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.