Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
Finnair is replacing slanted lie-flat J class seats with horizontal lie-flat seats, the Zodiak UK Vantage, on its long-haul fleet.
For more information, see Finnair's website here.

Overall upgrade program status
As of 05DEC14 the following have the new horizontal seats in J:
  • 57% of the 343 fleet (4 of 7 aircraft)
  • 100% of the 333 fleet (8 of 8 aircraft)
  • equivalent to 80% of the long haul fleet (12 of 15 aircraft)

Routes with horizontal full-flat business class seat
As of the dates below, all flights on listed routes will normally be performed by aircraft with horizontal full-flat seat in business class. Routes not listed will mainly be served by the older A340s or a mix of old & new, supply allowing.

2014-04-01 - NRT, JFK
2014-05-01 - PEK, ICN
2014-06-01 - PVG, KIX, NGO and HAN (seasonal)
2014 winter - HKG (seasonal) *)

*) Original press release stated HKG full-flat from 2014-06-01. Some flights are indeed scheduled with new J, but current info on AY website says HKG full flat only during winter season.

Please note that AY can and will swap aircrafts due to operational reasons, and there is no guarantee a certain route will be served by a certain aircraft. It is a very small fleet and any technical issue not resolved in a few hours will lead to equipment changes, which will have a domino effect throughout the fleet.

Individual upgrade status of each plane
As of 05DEC14 (click on RegNo for seatmap)
Code:
Airbus A340

RegNo	Full flat since
------	------------
OH-LQA	Old slanted seats
OH-LQB	2014-03-27
OH-LQC	2014-05-29
OH-LQD	2014-04-21
OH-LQE	2014-05-16
OH-LQF	Old slanted seats
OH-LQG 	Old slanted seats

Airbus A330

RegNo	Full flat since
------	------------
OH-LTM	2014-11-09
OH-LTN	2014-12-05
OH-LTO	2014-02-27
OH-LTP	2014-03-11
OH-LTR	2009-12-17
OH-LTS	2010-02-11
OH-LTT	2010-04-21
OH-LTU	2010-11-26
Print Wikipost

Reports on Hard product upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:14 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
True. But if they do it to me one more time, I really need to walk out. I made a promise to myself to stop flying when I cannot sit in the front.

AY is too small a carrier to even have different configs. In the beginning I thought 'that's really smart' being able to fit a different sized aircraft to each route based on demand. But once I realised they always have to juggle the planes around due to op reasons, I came to the opposite conclusion.

If they had 10 of each, then probably OK, but AY will never be of a size that will allow equipment substitute to stay inside one config-family.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:20 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Valid points. Very sad to hear they have bumped their own Plat..which route was this..must have been some upgrade light route with very few Finnish pax in J..?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:36 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
NRT-HEL. I think it is a decent route for paid J pax.
OH-LTR was planned for the route and day, but had to go somewhere unplanned the day before and got delayed inbound to HEL.

OT-ish, the A350 will be 48J if AY stays with Airbus' suggested seat plan (or J42 if skipping the mini-cabin altogether)
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
NRT-HEL. I think it is a decent route for paid J pax.
OH-LTR was planned for the route and day, but had to go somewhere unplanned the day before and got delayed inbound to HEL.

OT-ish, the A350 will be 48J if AY stays with Airbus' suggested seat plan (or J42 if skipping the mini-cabin altogether)
Yep, on NRT I can see this happening, very business heavy route up front with most pax on paid ticket..
Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Is there any photos of those "beloved" seats of the French Queens? In order to understand how bad they really are.

Just keen to know to which extent avoid those planes
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by FFlash
Is there any photos of those "beloved" seats of the French Queens? In order to understand how bad they really are.

Just keen to know to which extent avoid those planes
In Y seats are better and in C about same as AY orginal 340.

Y seat is softer and I think its larger too. So 90's.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:01 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FFlash
Is there any photos of those "beloved" seats of the French Queens?...
I have posted 2 not so good pictures here

Jetphotos have a better one here.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: AY Plat
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
In Y seats are better and in C about same as AY orginal 340.
I disagree on the C seat. Head rest pushes your neck and for that it is a bit difficult to find a comfy sitting position. Old Finnair lie flat better IMO.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I have posted 2 not so good pictures here

Jetphotos have a better one here.
To be honest the seats don't look that bad. I was initially horrified that my plane had been changed to one of the ex-AF A340s, but I think I can live with those seats. Just a shame it's my overnight flight that they're on...
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Benzin
Head rest pushes your neck and for that it is a bit difficult to find a comfy sitting position. Old Finnair lie flat better IMO.
That is true, yes!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:04 am

Effective April 1, Finnair will dedicate aircraft with full-flat seats in Business Class to flights to Tokyo and New York, and from May 1 to Beijing and Seoul. As of June 1 the full-flat allocation also extends to Hanoi, Hong Kong, Nagoya, Osaka and Shanghai.
http://www.finnairgroup.com/mediaen/...l_1551593.html
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:07 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

One really interesting aspect of this, if they really are committing 100% to this, is how that affects how operations can juggle airplanes.

I think it is a very wise decision since high load destinations like NRT and HKG are (finally) getting the high J capacity all the time. I am just worried that HKG will suffer even more than before. If OH-LQcrap, destined for BKK or what ever, is failing during the day they will replace it with the high capacity, full flat plane that was meant for HKG? Then not only delay HKG the normal 8 hours, but also bump some people to Y and give the rest angled flat seats, despite the grand words of the press release...
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:49 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Benzin
I disagree on the C seat. Head rest pushes your neck and for that it is a bit difficult to find a comfy sitting position. Old Finnair lie flat better IMO.
I actually agree. Both my partner and myself had terrible headaches from the A340 seats coming from the headrest as it is not very upper back/neck friendly. More to follow in my TR later this weekend...
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:32 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

One really interesting aspect of this, if they really are committing 100% to this, is how that affects how operations can juggle airplanes.

Ah, it helps reading the complete press release...

Originally Posted by Finnair press release
Due to maintenance or other technical reasons, designated full-flat routes may still be served by these other aircraft, which feature angled lie-flat seating in Business Class.
So all they promise is that they normally will schedule new J on these routes, but they will still swap OH-LQcrap at will.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:56 am

Ah, it helps reading the complete press release...

So all they promise is that they normally will schedule new J on these routes, but they will still swap OH-LQcrap at will.
Well, what else could they really do...it's not THAT bad, after all..these are our "first world problems" anyway..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.