Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
Finnair is replacing slanted lie-flat J class seats with horizontal lie-flat seats, the Zodiak UK Vantage, on its long-haul fleet.
For more information, see Finnair's website here.

Overall upgrade program status
As of 05DEC14 the following have the new horizontal seats in J:
  • 57% of the 343 fleet (4 of 7 aircraft)
  • 100% of the 333 fleet (8 of 8 aircraft)
  • equivalent to 80% of the long haul fleet (12 of 15 aircraft)

Routes with horizontal full-flat business class seat
As of the dates below, all flights on listed routes will normally be performed by aircraft with horizontal full-flat seat in business class. Routes not listed will mainly be served by the older A340s or a mix of old & new, supply allowing.

2014-04-01 - NRT, JFK
2014-05-01 - PEK, ICN
2014-06-01 - PVG, KIX, NGO and HAN (seasonal)
2014 winter - HKG (seasonal) *)

*) Original press release stated HKG full-flat from 2014-06-01. Some flights are indeed scheduled with new J, but current info on AY website says HKG full flat only during winter season.

Please note that AY can and will swap aircrafts due to operational reasons, and there is no guarantee a certain route will be served by a certain aircraft. It is a very small fleet and any technical issue not resolved in a few hours will lead to equipment changes, which will have a domino effect throughout the fleet.

Individual upgrade status of each plane
As of 05DEC14 (click on RegNo for seatmap)
Code:
Airbus A340

RegNo	Full flat since
------	------------
OH-LQA	Old slanted seats
OH-LQB	2014-03-27
OH-LQC	2014-05-29
OH-LQD	2014-04-21
OH-LQE	2014-05-16
OH-LQF	Old slanted seats
OH-LQG 	Old slanted seats

Airbus A330

RegNo	Full flat since
------	------------
OH-LTM	2014-11-09
OH-LTN	2014-12-05
OH-LTO	2014-02-27
OH-LTP	2014-03-11
OH-LTR	2009-12-17
OH-LTS	2010-02-11
OH-LTT	2010-04-21
OH-LTU	2010-11-26
Print Wikipost

Reports on Hard product upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:42 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by nordic
It seems that I'm in the minority, but I gladly take the new solo AY seats over BA seats with the exception of the backwards facing seats in row 64 (and maybe 62) on the upper deck of 747's (64A and K are my favourite ones). I must have said this before, but I could not find my previous post at least in this thread.
I prefer solo AY seats over BA as well. Somehow I don't even feel claustrophobic with my feet in that somewhat narrow space.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:05 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by SPBanker
I prefer solo AY seats over BA as well. Somehow I don't even feel claustrophobic with my feet in that somewhat narrow space.
Feet?!? I thought it was where the head was supposed to go. I mean, AY has been talking about traveller privacy. Just go head first, and no one will bother you the entire trip
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:21 am

Programs: AY LUMO
And today LQE to Dresden and LQD is coming back and planned to HKG as AY69.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:49 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Finally! That took a while! Maybe/hopfully they removed marimekko pattern too...
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:53 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Just got my ticket to SIN and J seatmap looks nice! AF nostalgia coming up honestly, I do not mind that much..
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:03 pm

Any news on when economy plus will be rolled out?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by discoseal
Any news on when economy plus will be rolled out?
Hopefully never.
Old May 8, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
Finnair might be confirming new business class will be on the YYZ flights this summer - "launch of our upgraded mainstream wide-body aircraft on this route."

But no clue how reliable this source is or if I'm reading too much into the wording, as the seatmap still hasn't changed for my June flight.

http://www.travelhotnews.com/reporta...uence_no=47683
Old May 8, 2014, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Awwucks
Finnair might be confirming new business class will be on the YYZ flights this summer - "launch of our upgraded mainstream wide-body aircraft on this route."

But no clue how reliable this source is or if I'm reading too much into the wording, as the seatmap still hasn't changed for my June flight.

http://www.travelhotnews.com/reporta...uence_no=47683
That would be very strange...Toronto is a seasonal (and mainly tourist) route..it was for many years operated as one class charter style service..allocating best hardware would not bring much more paid J traffic, that's for sure..
Old May 9, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Got an email from them earlier today: ... "They’ll be launched at the beginning of June on our routes to Tokyo, New York, Beijing, Seoul, Hanoi, Nagoya, Osaka and Shanghai, and in the winter 2014 season on flights to Hong Kong.

Umm, where did SIN disappear to?
Old May 9, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by aster
Got an email from them earlier today: ... "They’ll be launched at the beginning of June on our routes to Tokyo, New York, Beijing, Seoul, Hanoi, Nagoya, Osaka and Shanghai, and in the winter 2014 season on flights to Hong Kong.

Umm, where did SIN disappear to?
AFAIK, SIN was never on that list... It will probably be a mix of old and new cabins on that route.
Old May 9, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Let's take this again here:

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
My guess is that is only rational fleet rotation.
They need A340 to HAN and Mo/Th/Sa when Hanoi AY97 is running they "borrow" A340 from NGO. NGO is Mo/Th/Sa A333 and all other days A340.

And about HKG:
7 A340's in fleet (4 with new seats, 3 with old) and they are on routes (from June):
BKK
PVG (new)
HAN/NGO (new)
SIN x2
HKG x2

so BKK, SIN + HKG will be mix of old and new.
There is a reason why SIN is not and was not listed as new C.
Old May 10, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I take it the ex-AF queens will not have new C installed?

Looking forward to the introduction of the A350, which I take it will start replacing the A330/340s? Is AY set to be one of the first airlines to receive them, or are we in for quite a long wait?

Last edited by aster; May 10, 2014 at 5:24 am
Old May 10, 2014, 4:58 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

True. No upgrades for LQA (ex-VS) or LQF/LQG (ex-AF).

It has been said these will be the first to leave the fleet when A350s arrive. Knowing how AY works, I'm not so sure they will get retired day 1. I think they will go the same way the 757s did - charter, scheduled leisure routes and possibly stand by for irrops and then a few years further down the line get phased out.

AY is the first European airline to fly A350s, but QR soon will (or has already) taken delivery of the first.
AY is scheduled for one or two machines in H2 2015 AFAIK. It has been delayed several times sofar.

And BTW Aster, welcome back, haven't seen you in a while on AY forum?

Last edited by intuition; May 10, 2014 at 3:48 pm
Old May 10, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Originally Posted by intuition
I think they will go the same way the 757s did - charter, scheduled leisure routes and possibly stand by for irrops and then a few years further down the line get phased out.

AY is the first European airline to fly A350s, but QR soon will (or has already) taken delivery of the first.
AY is scheduled for one or two machines in H2 2015 AFAIK. It has been delayed several times sofar.
I think all of us often/mostly HKG-bound AY regulars would welcome standby capacity, though I have actually heard Pekka Vauramo proudly saying that Finnair is able to manage their routes with much less planes / route than the competition. Geographical advantage...

Airbus is now saying that "The A350 XWB’s certification testing is progressing well, and is on track for certification in Q3 2014, to be followed by entry into service with Qatar Airways in Q4." http://www.a350xwb.com/timeline/10481

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.