Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
Finnair is replacing slanted lie-flat J class seats with horizontal lie-flat seats, the Zodiak UK Vantage, on its long-haul fleet.
For more information, see Finnair's website here.

Overall upgrade program status
As of 05DEC14 the following have the new horizontal seats in J:
  • 57% of the 343 fleet (4 of 7 aircraft)
  • 100% of the 333 fleet (8 of 8 aircraft)
  • equivalent to 80% of the long haul fleet (12 of 15 aircraft)

Routes with horizontal full-flat business class seat
As of the dates below, all flights on listed routes will normally be performed by aircraft with horizontal full-flat seat in business class. Routes not listed will mainly be served by the older A340s or a mix of old & new, supply allowing.

2014-04-01 - NRT, JFK
2014-05-01 - PEK, ICN
2014-06-01 - PVG, KIX, NGO and HAN (seasonal)
2014 winter - HKG (seasonal) *)

*) Original press release stated HKG full-flat from 2014-06-01. Some flights are indeed scheduled with new J, but current info on AY website says HKG full flat only during winter season.

Please note that AY can and will swap aircrafts due to operational reasons, and there is no guarantee a certain route will be served by a certain aircraft. It is a very small fleet and any technical issue not resolved in a few hours will lead to equipment changes, which will have a domino effect throughout the fleet.

Individual upgrade status of each plane
As of 05DEC14 (click on RegNo for seatmap)
Code:
Airbus A340

RegNo	Full flat since
------	------------
OH-LQA	Old slanted seats
OH-LQB	2014-03-27
OH-LQC	2014-05-29
OH-LQD	2014-04-21
OH-LQE	2014-05-16
OH-LQF	Old slanted seats
OH-LQG 	Old slanted seats

Airbus A330

RegNo	Full flat since
------	------------
OH-LTM	2014-11-09
OH-LTN	2014-12-05
OH-LTO	2014-02-27
OH-LTP	2014-03-11
OH-LTR	2009-12-17
OH-LTS	2010-02-11
OH-LTT	2010-04-21
OH-LTU	2010-11-26
Print Wikipost

Reports on Hard product upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:05 am

Of course this is a great improvement, but can anyone tell if the new interiors are identical to the ones that been around for about 5 years now?
I think Thomson Vantage now offer a few upgrades and also other materials, colour schemes etc.
Actually the current interiors begin to look outdated and too sterile and plastic, resembles too much of a dental clinic...
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:50 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by JoWa
Of course this is a great improvement, but can anyone tell if the new interiors are identical to the ones that been around for about 5 years now?
I think Thomson Vantage now offer a few upgrades and also other materials, colour schemes etc.
Actually the current interiors begin to look outdated and too sterile and plastic, resembles too much of a dental clinic...
Yes, they are identical as far as I can tell.

Here is a picture of OH-LTO 2 weeks after retro fit, where you can see material and colour. (and winestain which contradicts the "sterile" claim )

And the space your feet need to fit
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:06 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Awwucks
Any updates on when the last two A330 are scheduled for upgrade? ...
It shouldn't be long, but that is just guesswork. One 340 is away for refurb right now (should return any day now) and up till now they have done the refurbs back-to-back, ie as soon as one bird returns, another goes to Düsseldorf.

The only schedule provided by AY was made a long time ago and talked about one bird a month, but the once so far have been quicker (A330s have taken 2 weeks, A340s a bit more). That schedule stretched to august or september IIRC.

It all depends on when they can spare one plane from normal production, they are running the fleet close to 100% utilisation.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: AY LUMO
It looks like 330's LTM and LTN are going to fly with old 2+2+2 configuration thru summer season.

And that season starts 1st June.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by intuition
And the space your feet need to fit
That's why I found L-seats to be a bit more desirable than A-seats. Especially 3L had quite good sense of space.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:44 am

Yes, they are identical as far as I can tell.
Of course there are advantages with having identical interiors, but on the other hand the A350`s are scheduled to arrive already next year (nudge, nudge).

And I can hardly imagine AY plan to introduce such a revolutionary plane with a business class design thats approaching 10 years of age.
So in that respect it could have made sense to start improving the interiors now.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:47 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JoWa

And I can hardly imagine AY plan to introduce such a revolutionary plane with a business class design thats approaching 10 years of age.
So in that respect it could have made sense to start improving the interiors now.
In what respect do you think the lie-flat design is "old"? I mean one can argue that AY IFE is crap (which it really is for those interested in that) but other than that, lie-flat business class product is the norm today, what do you expect?

AY has got extremely narrow seats in J but those are there for a reason, cheap product, cheap prices, anyone who wants quality does not fly AY J, they fly AY because it's cheap and/or convenient, that's their business case...you can, realistically, never expect AY to install some state of the art seats into their J. Let's hope we will see the A350 with inflight wi-fi capability...regarding the seats, I wouldn't break out the champagne just yet..

In this context I find it somewhat strange that there's such a hype here around the J cabin upgrades, I mean the solo lie-flats are nice addition but the more I fly with AY the more the cramped/narrow seats are bothering me...I really do not think this "new AY J" is worth any hype whatsoever..OK it's miles above AY whY, which is something I wouldn't touch w/o a gun pointing at my head..but if you compare to competition, AY J is simply not up to par, end of conversation.

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; Apr 14, 2014 at 9:56 pm
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
NWS, do you really think AY J is cheap ex-HEL? I don't, and as such I think the hard product should be up to par.

BTW: "break out the champagne" ^
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:12 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

What JoWa might mean is that there are newer versions even of the vantage seat. Or that the competition is doing it a more modern way, like QR. I can understand AY's wish to standardize the fleet, though.

I agree about the unreasonable hype - Sure, I do like full flat better, but when it means adding 7% more pax into the same space, I can't see the gain. I sleep better in the old angled flats seats than I do in a full flat seat where someone kicks by bed every 10 minutes through out the night.

But let's not forget AY is driving the hype themselves - they are promoting themselves as a designer airline, designed around the customer needs, and these seats are told to be the crown in the jewel. NoWindowSeat is kind of right with his analysis about cheap product, but when marketing claims something else, disappointment will arise.

The day they put vantage pro seats (or the like) on the A350 I will cry. The 8 abreast J cabin should be reserved for the BA lovers...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:32 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I sleep better in the old angled flats seats than I do in a full flat seat where someone kicks by bed every 10 minutes through out the night.
)
Me too. And the lie-flats (not only AY) maybe even less comfort in the sitting position tuning point of view.

As for pricing commented earlier, it seems that we standard Finnish taxpayers are subsidizing all ex-nonHEL fliers and non-AY status pax as those seem to get prices and better elite OW-treatment
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:45 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by remymartin
NWS, do you really think AY J is cheap ex-HEL? I don't, and as such I think the hard product should be up to par.

BTW: "break out the champagne" ^
Thanks, Remy, at LHR T3 BA F lounge so that's not a tall order at all as it's already been broken out by the professionals..

Yes, AY is expensive exHEL but they are really cheap from basically anywhere else in Europe to Asia and back, their Finland originating paid J travel is a small part of their revenue..
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Thanks, Remy, at LHR T3 BA F lounge so that's not a tall order at all as it's already been broken out by the professionals..
Damn, I was slumming it in T3 GC yesterday for about 7 hrs. Wish you'd have flown a day earlier!

Yes, AY is expensive exHEL but they are really cheap from basically anywhere else in Europe to Asia and back, their Finland originating paid J travel is a small part of their revenue..
ex-AMS/BRU many destinations are cheaper on BA than AY at the moment.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:00 pm

In what respect do you think the lie-flat design is "old"? I mean one can argue that AY IFE is crap (which it really is for those interested in that) but other than that, lie-flat business class product is the norm today, what do you expect?

AY has got extremely narrow seats in J but those are there for a reason, cheap product, cheap prices,
As I wrote, it is the plastic feeling and colour schemes that feels a bit outdated 2014.
AY was quite early with staggered full flats in J, and since then the design of staggered seats has improved with more wood, warmer colours, teething flaws have been rectified e. g.
I can hardly imagine such tweaks makes it much more expensive.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:15 pm

A few examples, still Thompson Vantage:

http://www.patrick-lindon.com/images...at_detail3.jpg
http://www.patrick-lindon.com/images...swi011539i.jpg
http://www.patrick-lindon.com/images...-workspace.jpg
http://blog.apex.aero/cms/wp-content...ness-class.jpg
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
ex-AMS/BRU many destinations are cheaper on BA than AY at the moment.
It seems that I'm in the minority, but I gladly take the new solo AY seats over BA seats with the exception of the backwards facing seats in row 64 (and maybe 62) on the upper deck of 747's (64A and K are my favourite ones). I must have said this before, but I could not find my previous post at least in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.