Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:19 am

If you think there are a lot of point/mile bloggers, than you have no idea how many people write about just destinations and barely know a thing about points and miles. There are probably 100 destination writers for every service writer, both online and especially in print. Destination people are all about going to the ends of the earth for adventure, culture, food, photography, language, etc. In contrast, point/mile bloggers and writers tend to stick to the major cities and stay at a western chain hotel.
Oh there's an easy explanation for that. That's because for every fascinating thing about the Chase Adamantium Card that "service writers" can come up with, there are 100,000,000 more fascinating things about the undiscovered parts of the wonderful wide world.

P.S. I see we are greatly broadening the definition of the term "service"
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by JSteele
Regarding the whole Masada trip and the back and forth there: I think everyone is confusing two distinct types of blogging and travel writing in general. There are destination travel pieces that are designed to help you plan your trip, learn more about a destination, or just live vicariously through the author as he/she experiences somewhere that you may not be able to visit. There is nothing wrong with that. I have been to Israel many times, but I read that blog post series so I can learn more about the Le Meridian Dead Sea, that I will visit for the first time later this year. Good stuff for my purposes, but Conde Nast it was not.

On the other hand, the point/mile bloggers write what are called service pieces. These focus less on the destination (or not at all), and teach people about the "how to" of travel. It is easy to forget that most leisure travelers leave home less than once or twice a year, and don't know most of the stuff we write about.

If you think there are a lot of point/mile bloggers, than you have no idea how many people write about just destinations and barely know a thing about points and miles. There are probably 100 destination writers for every service writer, both online and especially in print. Destination people are all about going to the ends of the earth for adventure, culture, food, photography, language, etc. In contrast, point/mile bloggers and writers tend to stick to the major cities and stay at a western chain hotel.

To make matters more confusing, a lot of point/mile bloggers will feature destinations, but usually just short photo essays of the hotel and business lounge.

So there you have it; don't jump on a point/mile blogger for an inadequate destination piece any more than you would criticize a Nat. Geo. writer for not explaining how to go to Borneo with points and miles.
Thanks Jason, you hit it right at home! You won't find me staying at a 8 bed mixed room hostel or couchsurfing/airbnb since I mostly stick to staying at Starwood Hotels while using the best of miles & points or the cash equivalent.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Regarding the whole Masada trip and the back and forth there: I think everyone is confusing two distinct types of blogging and travel writing in general.

So there you have it; don't jump on a point/mile blogger for an inadequate destination piece any more than you would criticize a Nat. Geo. writer for not explaining how to go to Borneo with points and miles.
I think the problem that was really being touched upon in this discussion was the reply (including "poverty bus") moreso than the original content.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by jspira
I'm not sure I even understand what the first party meant by "poverty bus" but it doesn't sound good.
sorry, I meant to say that I think buses are a waste of time if you don't have a lot of time in Israel. I wanted to hit Tel Aviv - Jerusalem - Bethlehem - Masada - Dead Sea - Negev Desert - drive around the Gaza Border - Tel Aviv - Tel Aviv Airport.. There was absolutely no way I could have done all of this via the bus with luggage on my 4 day trip in Israel.

there was definitely no time for waiting and waiting for the buses especially on Shabbat where buses don't even run!

http://wikitravel.org/upload/shared/..._in_Israel.png

Last edited by jammanxc; Mar 18, 2013 at 9:45 am
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jammanxc
sorry, I meant to say that I think buses are a waste of time in Israel if you don't have a lot of time in Israel. I wanted to hit Tel Aviv - Jerusalem - Bethlehem - Masada - Dead Sea - Negev Desert - drive around the Gaza Border - Tel Aviv - Tel Aviv Airport.. There was absolutely no way I could've done all of this via the bus with luggage on my 4 day trip in Israel.

there was definitely no time for waiting and waiting for the buses especially on Shabbat where buses don't even run!

http://wikitravel.org/upload/shared/..._in_Israel.png
I concur re bus travel in general but I believe that the "poverty bus" comment came off as if you meant that taking the bus is for poor people or something along those lines and not for you. Thanks for clarifying.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Oh there's an easy explanation for that. That's because for every fascinating thing about the Chase Adamantium Card that "service writers" can come up with, there are 100,000,000 more fascinating things about the undiscovered parts of the wonderful wide world.

P.S. I see we are greatly broadening the definition of the term "service"
I agree that seeing the world is far more exciting than credit cards. Actually, I think writing about credit cards falls more under personal finance than travel, and is not nearly as fun for most people to write about, and has a smaller audience as well.

Actually, I was just talking to a well known personal finance blogger who told me that he has trouble finding good credit card bloggers because no one wants to write about that stuff. I guess I am in the minority.

I do like to think I get off the beaten path more than most point/mile writers, but ironically, I usually don't enjoy writing destination pieces about where I went and what I did there; I prefer writing and reading point/mile service articles and personal finance stuff. But every now and then, I like to cover something unique like this or this rather than a western hotel or a new business lounge.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by jspira
I'm not sure I even understand what the first party meant by "poverty bus" but it doesn't sound good.
Not to worry. I have taken buses in and around Israel probably hundreds of times and to imply that only the poor use buses there is completely inaccurate.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If my clients make money off of affiliate links or other advertising, good for them. It is no different than if I worked at newspapers, television, radio, magazines, or any other media that has advertising. And please don't give me crap about my writing being compromised by affiliate revenue, as I personally don't earn any of it as a freelance contributor.
Well, except it is in the way they are actually transforming your work as you've implied. A newspaper editor doesn't change the content and context of a story to build more revenue the way your posts are being modified.

I am not ready to go back to my desk job, or be a commuter airline pilot or something else out of any objection to affiliate links.
Fine, but don't pretend that you have nothing to do with it. It is your content that is being used in this manner.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Sadder still that it was Randy, that good old hippie, who sold our commune to evil corporate developers. Not that I blame him, mind you. To the contrary. But that certainly drove a lot of the notion that there was gold to be mined from providing services to the points and miles community.
I do not believe for a moment that there wasn't a shrewd business man behind the idea to start FT the first time around. It is possible to do something which is valuable/useful to others and to profit from it at the same time. But that doesn't mean there isn't business behind it.

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Personally I find MilePoint full of fluff and nonsense, full of people pretending their community is "superior" but end up nothing but of content-less drivel...
Agreed for the most part. There are a few pockets of useful content but most of it is not.
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The spirit of giving between members of FlyerTalk is very much alive and well today. You can still get great advice for free. All you have to do is ask.
Yes and no. You can ask, but odds are your thread will be merged into a mega thread without an answer provided and you'll have to hunt to find it. Or you'll be attacked by others for asking such a stupid question that everyone should already know the answer to. In many cases it is some of the most "trusted" members of the community taking those rather unhelpful and unfriendly actions.

There is a TON of good content here, but getting at it is not easy and the community is both not welcoming and not encouraged to be such. So long as being rude or dismissive to new members is accepted and even encouraged it will remain a mess. But that will require a massive change - both in thought and policy - at the leadership level.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Read some Anthony Bourdain about how high end restauranteurs deal with VIP writers/reviewers to get an idea of what's going on here. I'm not saying Lucky is trying to milk the deal per se, but there's a reason why newspapers try to do blind reviews (and why restauranteurs try to figure out who those reviewers are).
Agreed. The new FTC rules requiring full disclosure in Twitter and FB posts should make for an interesting swing in posts in the near future.

Last edited by sbm12; Mar 18, 2013 at 3:04 pm
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:24 pm

Regarding the whole Masada trip and the back and forth there: I think everyone is confusing two distinct types of blogging and travel writing in general. There are destination travel pieces that are designed to help you plan your trip, learn more about a destination, or just live vicariously through the author as he/she experiences somewhere that you may not be able to visit. There is nothing wrong with that. I have been to Israel many times, but I read that blog post series so I can learn more about the Le Meridian Dead Sea, that I will visit for the first time later this year. Good stuff for my purposes, but Conde Nast it was not.

On the other hand, the point/mile bloggers write what are called service pieces. These focus less on the destination (or not at all), and teach people about the "how to" of travel. It is easy to forget that most leisure travelers leave home less than once or twice a year, and don't know most of the stuff we write about.

To make matters more confusing, a lot of point/mile bloggers will feature destinations, but usually just short photo essays of the hotel and business lounge.

I agree that there are differences in the approach and intent between travel writers and point/miler bloggers. What I objected to in the series was the definitive way it came across, as though the writer was indeed an expert on how to get around Israel and what to see there, even titling the piece "Everything You Need to Know About Israel." Few travelers to Israel go for four days. The advice may be helpful for someone who does, but to suggest that tourists to Israel routinely rent a car is simply not good advice.

The piece on scams was also odd - I came away wondering if some of the complaints were problems of misunderstanding. For example, restaurants with security at the door sometimes charge a little extra for that on the bill. It is not mandatory to pay it and I have been with Israelis who request that it be removed from their bill. Perhaps the "restaurant scam" was really that.

I guess I would be happier when a blogger does not attempt to come across as an expert unless he/she really is. But I guess that comes with the territory when one chooses to read blogs!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: A few
FTC "rules" are actually guidelines. Doubt we will see any real change
Old Mar 18, 2013, 1:08 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by sbm12
I do not believe for a moment that there wasn't a shrewd business man behind the idea to start FT the first time around. It is possible to do something which is valuable/useful to others and to profit from it at the same time. But that doesn't mean there isn't business behind it.
Oh, there was a business motive behind the creation of FlyerTalk....to sell more Inside Flyer paper magazine subscriptions. @:-)

Here's an interesting autobiography of the establishment of this site:

http://www.insideflyer.com/articles/...e.php?key=3467

The concept of FlyerTalk was seen as a way for readers of InsideFlyer to share additional comments and feedback on the topic. In the early part of 1995, the commercial World Wide Web was still very much unknown (most of the attention still went to Prodigy, AOL and CompuServe). We saw a small number of chat boards out there and thought it might be a good platform to extend InsideFlyer reader interaction.
So, the readers of InsideFlyer were once again invited to participate in a new bulletin board designed to help members share experiences and tips with other readers of the magazine. We opened our doors again on May 5, 1998. After six months we noticed that a few of the new posters were not subscribers to InsideFlyer and I decided to gamble and welcome them as well. From that point forward, growth has been organic. We've not spent a single dollar toward marketing the Web site and today it ranks among the top, if not the top, bulletin board in the world for number of posts and activity on the topic of travel and certainly the hub for frequent flyers around the globe.

I have often joked and it actually is true that one of the major factors in launching the concept was that even back in the early days, I was having trouble answering the many letters (yes, actually physical letters) and faxes from readers asking for advice for their miles and points. FlyerTalk was a concept that allowed me to utilize the knowledge of my readers who had followed my advice and allowed them to share their experiences with others. Only a small percentage of today's FlyerTalkers are readers of InsideFlyer, but I think it is fair to say that many owe thanks to the magazine.
I don't think he ever envisioned monetizing FlyerTalk itself when he created it. Rather it was to be a marketing and research platform for his real business: selling magazines.

Randy's Internet Millionaire story is a classic 'right time, right place' story. ^
Old Mar 18, 2013, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by TWA44
I agree that there are differences in the approach and intent between travel writers and point/miler bloggers. What I objected to in the series was the definitive way it came across, as though the writer was indeed an expert on how to get around Israel and what to see there, even titling the piece "Everything You Need to Know About Israel." Few travelers to Israel go for four days. The advice may be helpful for someone who does, but to suggest that tourists to Israel routinely rent a car is simply not good advice.
You are correct, the title was so ambitious as to be misleading.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:07 pm

That is not a feature on a destination; it is a post about a hotel or lounge. If you cannot tell the difference that's a pretty big problem.

Writing a crappy post with only marginally useful information is bad regardless of the source. If it isn't your focus then don't write it.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:11 pm

Here's an interesting autobiography of the establishment of this site:
Yeah, that's the version of the story being told. I'd tell that version, too, if I was asked after the fact.

I do believe that he didn't expect it to grow the way it did, but that doesn't mean it wasn't built to be part of the business and to help make more money.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

I don't think he ever envisioned monetizing FlyerTalk itself when he created it. Rather it was to be a marketing and research platform for his real business: selling magazines.
Interestingly, I'm betting that Gary and Ben didn't expect to monetize their blogs either. Eventually their blogs became good marketing platforms for their award booking services.

I guess this is why I consider the blogs that existed before the CC bonanza to be a bit different than the Johnny Come Lately's. And my guess is that when the froth in the market settles, these guys and bloggers similar to them will still be going while others will return to their day jobs, or just retire. We shall see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.