Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by kokonutz
From my perspective only, it's depressing because the points and miles game used to be about sharing a passion and having fun. Now for many it is about marketing and money.

Probably some nerds out there feel the same way about ComicCon, etc.
So why not start your own blog where we will find NEWST info, passion, dedication and Affliate Links where you will donate 100 % of the proceeds to cahrity voted by the readers ?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
So why not start your own blog where we will find NEWST info, passion, dedication and Affliate Links where you will donate 100 % of the proceeds to cahrity voted by the readers ?
Or he can continue posting on FT where he gets all that, minus the affiliate links.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 6:37 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Of course, Randy didn't start down the miles path, including FT, out of altruism for the good of mankind - it was a money-making effort for him as well. (As is his latest business venture of Milepoint.)
Generally, yes, he made a business out of points and miles. Having been there at the time that FlyerTalk started, I disagree with the notion that this place was created to make money (at least not directly).

In 1998 there was Inside Flyer magazine. Randy started FlyerTalk so that his magazine readers could have a place to exchange ideas (at 28800 baud ).

It really was his commune: no moderators, no TalkBoard. Just a guy throwing up an IBB to support the readers of his print magazine.

I don't think he ever dreamed he'd be able to sell it one day for ~$6 million.

Originally Posted by hotelmotel
Or he can continue posting on FT where he gets all that, minus the affiliate links.
Exactly.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Generally, yes, he made a business out of points and miles. Having been there at the time that FlyerTalk started, I disagree with the notion that this place was created to make money (at least not directly).

In 1998 there was Inside Flyer magazine. Randy started FlyerTalk so that his magazine readers could have a place to exchange ideas (at 28800 baud ).

It really was his commune: no moderators, no TalkBoard. Just a guy throwing up an IBB to support the readers of his print magazine.

I don't think he ever dreamed he'd be able to sell it one day for ~$6 million.

Exactly.
I didn't say he started FT specifically to make money directly, but as you noted he already was earning a living from the miles and points world and this was an extension of it. My point was, your nostalgia about a simpler time seems misplaced as I don't see him as being conceptually different from anyone else trying to make money from the miles/points world - whether it's Internet Brands, some blogger, a magazine, etc. And there's nothing inherently wrong with that.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:07 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by 84fiero
And there's nothing inherently wrong with that.
I agree — there is nothing wrong with that.

The spirit of giving between members of FlyerTalk is very much alive and well today. You can still get great advice for free. All you have to do is ask.

The difference is that the membership of FlyerTalk has experienced exponential growth since those “good old days.” More people are interested in finding out how to earn and redeem miles and points — and thus, more people are capitalizing on that interest by devoting themselves full-time to what they enjoy doing: traveling, writing and dispensing that advice.

However, those people — such as “bloggers” — do need to earn a living. It is one thing to pop onto FlyerTalk for a few minutes to assist a fellow member with no strings attached; but it is another thing to devote to something full time and not expect to be compensated in some manner.

I would suspect that back in the “good old days”, it would have been far more difficult to eke out a career devoted to miles and points — simply because there were far fewer people interested in it. Also, frequent travel loyalty programs have become far more complex — and that is not even including credit cards. People arguably need assistance more than ever.

Let us not confuse the spirit of FlyerTalk with a growing industry which has a potential customer base with a demand being fulfilled by those who choose to devote themselves to supply it full-time — and let us not confuse those who want to earn an honest living “blogging” in the miles and points industry with those who may seem to be deceitful with their editorial content. In both cases, they can be mutually exclusive — and clouding up the differentiation serves little beneficial purpose.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:27 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Canarsie

The spirit of giving between members of FlyerTalk is very much alive and well today. You can still get great advice for free. All you have to do is ask.

The difference is that the membership of FlyerTalk has experienced exponential growth since those “good old days.” More people are interested in finding out how to earn and redeem miles and points — and thus, more people are capitalizing on that interest by devoting themselves full-time to what they enjoy doing: traveling, writing and dispensing that advice.

However, those people — such as “bloggers” — do need to earn a living. It is one thing to pop onto FlyerTalk for a few minutes to assist a fellow member with no strings attached; but it is another thing to devote to something full time and not expect to be compensated in some manner.

I would suspect that back in the “good old days”, it would have been far more difficult to eke out a career devoted to miles and points — simply because there were far fewer people interested in it. Also, frequent travel loyalty programs have become far more complex — and that is not even including credit cards. People arguably need assistance more than ever.

Let us not confuse the spirit of FlyerTalk with a growing industry which has a potential customer base with a demand being fulfilled by those who choose to devote themselves to supply it full-time — and let us not confuse those who want to earn an honest living “blogging” in the miles and points industry with those who may seem to be deceitful with their editorial content. In both cases, they can be mutually exclusive — and clouding up the differentiation serves little beneficial purpose.
I dunno if they do need to earn a living off of points and miles...I suspect most can't and won't.

Randy was an innovator. And he'll likely be an outlier in terms of having been able to make a living at it. Some of these blogger folks will make a little dough in the short term. Thanks to Randy's benevolence, Gary, Tommy and Ed may see financial benefit from Milepoint at some point. But note that all three of those guys still have 'day jobs' even as they blog, seminar and MegaDo their hearts out.

At the end of the day there may be a few nuggets of gold to be panned from the points and miles river, but miles and points is a passion and a hobby, not a job, no matter how hard one hucksters.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I just want to let you all know that I could have gone for a bikeride today but decided to go to a movie instead.

Canarsie: Your post was beautiful! I am going to repost in my blog. If you have a problem with it please let me know and will take it down.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:01 pm

milepoint has the most detailed info, but I don't read it because it is TOO deatailed... when I want to reserve a flight it is useful.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:11 pm

Really?

Personally I find MilePoint full of fluff and nonsense, full of people pretending their community is "superior" but end up nothing but of content-less drivel...
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:36 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Canarsie: Your post was beautiful! I am going to repost in my blog. If you have a problem with it please let me know and will take it down.
Please do — I am honored and have no objection whatsoever.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:45 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie

Excellent Post!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:14 am

I meant milevalue not milepoint
Old Mar 16, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
[QUOTE=kokonutz;20428239]I dunno if they do need to earn a living off of points and miles...I suspect most can't and won't.

Randy was an innovator. And he'll likely be an outlier in terms of having been able to make a living at it. Some of these blogger folks will make a little dough in the short term. Thanks to Randy's benevolence, Gary, Tommy and Ed may see financial benefit from Milepoint at some point. But note that all three of those guys still have 'day jobs' even as they blog, seminar and MegaDo their hearts out.

At the end of the day there may be a few nuggets of gold to be panned from the points and miles river, but miles and points is a passion and a hobby, not a job, no matter how hard one hucksters.[/QUOTE

First off : Canarsie what a beautiful and articulate way to "reply" those who decry the "bloggers" who may make a buck for their troubles.

As for miles and points being a hobby and a passion...for you and some others maybe, but why should the rest of us abide by it. We are free to EJECT a blogger from our personal universe. What I see is I don't make $, so you should not either program. If the world worked your way, there will be a war of the worlds between every one who profits from his/her hobby and passion Vs. those who begrudge them.

If you object to the links in articles, neutral or disguised , grow up and count the times you are hit with messages ...
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:21 am

12 referral links in one post and the next announcing that they received a free AA transatlantic business flight, good week to be a blogger.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:00 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
12 referral links in one post and the next announcing that they received a free AA transatlantic business flight, good week to be a blogger.
Who received a free business class flight? Link?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.