Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
As a newbie, I appreciate the wealth of information on high-traffic blogs like TPG and MMS. I also value the personal interactions from smaller-time blogs like ExtraPackofPeanuts.com, where the owner, Trav, puts a lot more time into answering questions, which is great for newbies such as myself. Popular blog owners simply can't keep up since they get too many questions.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
I just posted one for people not so new to the game, about why using credit card miles to fund your travel is a bad idea.

I'm sure nobody has ever thought of this ever before!!!

Ok well maybe a couple of people have, but they didn't use photos!
Interesting article and a lot of valid points. Here is one thing that caught my eye, though. I think you contradict yourself when you first complain about miles/points devaluation and then criticize those who use more miles/points for first class and loyalty hotels. It's either devaluation (earn 'em and burn 'em) or let's save and get more coach.

I agree that way too many folks are playing the game just for the game. Not to get there, but to get there in the first. Not to just stay in a comfortable room, but only in a suite. Some folks won't even go there if they can't fly in the front! I find it ridiculous. On the other hand, it's not ridiculous to value some extra space and a flat seat on a long flight, especially when there is a way (for now) to replenish all these miles/points with new CC bonuses. I personally can handle coach easily, even on a long flight, and I'm a big guy. I thought, after a few swanky first class trips, it wouldn't be easy to go back, but no, I'm fine. Although, so far I've been lucky not to have another big guy in the next seat, LOL.

Agree, no one should play this game unless they really want to travel. I was traveling well before I learned about all these tricks by using some crazy schemes to keep it within my budget. I would travel even if I didn't have these miles/points, just not as much. So, I agree that one should use cashback cards if one isn't truly, really interested in travel. If you do value travel, though, and have access to the US credit, I believe cahsback cards are a waste of time and more importantly opprotunity. At least, this is how I feel about it.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mnscout
Interesting article and a lot of valid points. Here is one thing that caught my eye, though. I think you contradict yourself when you first complain about miles/points devaluation and then criticize those who use more miles/points for first class and loyalty hotels. It's either devaluation (earn 'em and burn 'em) or let's save and get more coach.

I agree that way too many folks are playing the game just for the game. Not to get there, but to get there in the first. Not to just stay in a comfortable room, but only in a suite. Some folks won't even go there if they can't fly in the front! I find it ridiculous. On the other hand, it's not ridiculous to value some extra space and a flat seat on a long flight, especially when there is a way (for now) to replenish all these miles/points with new CC bonuses. I personally can handle coach easily, even on a long flight, and I'm a big guy. I thought, after a few swanky first class trips, it wouldn't be easy to go back, but no, I'm fine. Although, so far I've been lucky not to have another big guy in the next seat, LOL.

Agree, no one should play this game unless they really want to travel. I was traveling well before I learned about all these tricks by using some crazy schemes to keep it within my budget. I would travel even if I didn't have these miles/points, just not as much. So, I agree that one should use cashback cards if one isn't truly, really interested in travel. If you do value travel, though, and have access to the US credit, I believe cahsback cards are a waste of time and more importantly opprotunity. At least, this is how I feel about it.
Thanks for the feedback. What I was trying to say is, earn less and fly coach - burn as fast as you can still, but when you hit a threshold of points switch to cash back.

It really does come down to a persons personal financial circumstances - I cannot help but think people are getting in on the points game for exuberant travel when they don't have their financial house in order.

For example, one reader called me out for a strategy on funding IRAs, stating that the average household was earning X - well if he felt that my strategy wasn't working for people without a strong income, why is he so into these travel games.

If you are earning the average 40-50K per year, perhaps thats all that is coming into the household, turning down Cash Back is insane, IMO...

If you haven't maxed your 401K, IRA and 529 then each one of those could benefit from Cash Back.

I think I made a lot of different points in one piece, I was considering breaking it into smaller chunks - some focused on the travel side, some focused on the money side, but in the end put it into one, I am still trying to gauge how much info to put into one post to give the most value.

Feedback is very much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by wennecorp
1. thepointsguy.com
2. pretty much anything at boardingarea.com
3. hustlermoneyblog.com (not points-related, but tries to game bank cards and accounts in the same way)
4. wenneblog.com (new guy)
5. Ben Mutzabaugh over at Today In the Sky
Can you stop cross-posting promotion for your blog?

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Thanks for the feedback. What I was trying to say is, earn less and fly coach - burn as fast as you can still, but when you hit a threshold of points switch to cash back.

It really does come down to a persons personal financial circumstances - I cannot help but think people are getting in on the points game for exuberant travel when they don't have their financial house in order.

For example, one reader called me out for a strategy on funding IRAs, stating that the average household was earning X - well if he felt that my strategy wasn't working for people without a strong income, why is he so into these travel games.

If you are earning the average 40-50K per year, perhaps thats all that is coming into the household, turning down Cash Back is insane, IMO...

If you haven't maxed your 401K, IRA and 529 then each one of those could benefit from Cash Back.

I think I made a lot of different points in one piece, I was considering breaking it into smaller chunks - some focused on the travel side, some focused on the money side, but in the end put it into one, I am still trying to gauge how much info to put into one post to give the most value.

Feedback is very much appreciated. Thank you.
I liked your post too. Here's what I think:

I don't value points at the retail price of 20,000. But I value it at the cheapest economy ticket and/or buying miles for the exact same itinerary, and I usually get more than 2 cents per mile back.
You list all the problems with miles, and that's true. But any other alternative IMHO is inferior.
Also, staying in fairly fancy Park Hyatt's and Ritz-Carlton's are mutually exclusive for immersing yourself in the culture.

Oh, and that's why you don't redeem for United BF.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ladies & Gentlemen,
as you have noticed, EM&PR opened today based on the TB decision to give the discussion of blogs a new home. This thread was one of the reasons this happened and it was moved this morning into the new section from its previous MilesBuzz! home.

Lets move on and use the new evolutionary step. Whether the step will become a quantum-leap is upto you.

Under these cirucmstances this thread is now closed and remains available for scrutiny for future researchers to disprove any creationists.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.