Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by HikerT
How do you define impact on credit? Bonus points if it's something other than looking at credit scores.
Ability to get more.

Don't need the I'm cleverer than thou bs either.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:21 pm

Well must give bonus points for using the term "bs" in both replies. At some point I'd think the extra inquiry would be a limiting factor. If it didn't impact your ability to "get more" then perhaps you didn't push things as hard as you could have? How would you know unless you weren't able to "get more"?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Ability to get more.

Don't need the I'm cleverer than thou bs either.
You haven't figured out that that's the main point of this thread now?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:46 pm

This thread has morphed into a broader discussion than "most useful" blog given this is one of the few places on FT that discussion of blogging practices is allowed. There are a far more examples of worst practices than best practices, but both are measures of usefulness. I would say that is a better depiction of this thread than the one you provided.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
You should read my blog about it. I have an affiliate link you can use if you ever move to America.
Discover is good for access to the ShopDiscover cashback portal IMO. Seems to offer some of the highest rates of CB out of all programs, sometimes going to 15-20%.
I don't think usually the ShopDiscover portal will have twice the UR Mall rate, since I value UR at just under 2cpm. Thank you for the offer though. I will definitely consider using your affiliate link when I go to America.

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
TPG's last churn was 100% affiliate free, including three where his affiliate offers were worse (five total).
http://thepointsguy.com/2013/03/deci...-applications/
You mean affiliate-riddled?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:27 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
I don't think usually the ShopDiscover portal will have twice the UR Mall rate, since I value UR at just under 2cpm. Thank you for the offer though. I will definitely consider using your affiliate link when I go to America.

You mean affiliate-riddled?
You don't think? Have you looked or do you just think it because you value UR and don't value Discover? Just run it through a comparison site like evreward for more perspective. They really do well on this front (though in all other areas, excepting quarterly bonuses I think they are a waste of time).
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:22 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Ok, I am really late catching up on FT as I watched the basketball game...

Putting the finishing touches on my blog post for tomorrow and want to give you guys a heads up on what is going to be in it. I am not naming names but you all can figure out the long list of bloggers that I am talking about

You know what drives me absolutely nuts? Seeing bloggers come up with more and more innovative ways to write a blog post that would never ever see the light of day if it was not to push the same affiliate links again and again and again and again. You see it all around the miles/points blogoshpere every day. What especially irks me is to see a misleading deadline that is designed in such a way to catch your attention and make you think "Oh, there must be some actual content in this blog post, I may even learn something". And you surf there and you start reading and you may even think 'this is not bad" and then...bang bang bang come the Chase and AMEX affiliate links. To take it to another level, you never see a disclosure in the body of the post...not even a simple "I sure appreciate it". My readers tend to be a bit more advanced and know the shell game going on and can spot these bloggers from miles away.

Now I have no idea if this is ok to write here...Can't believe i am wasting time to even make such a thought!
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:27 am

You don't think? Have you looked or do you just think it because you value UR and don't value Discover? Just run it through a comparison site like evreward for more perspective. They really do well on this front (though in all other areas, excepting quarterly bonuses I think they are a waste of time).
I find cashbackholic has better coverage than evreward. One thing that irks me about ShopDiscover is they only let you cash out in increments of $50, so you are perpetually chasing that next $50 threshold to get paid. I tend to use it only for a select few sites like groupon and GNC where the difference is large enough to justify. Not the best reason to burn an inquiry IMO, but all depends on your personal credit situation. I got my discover card 20+ years ago and I would say a better reason to get a Discover card would be to build credit history with another issuer.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:49 am

Programs: A few
This thread has morphed into a broader discussion than "most useful" blog given this is one of the few places on FT that discussion of blogging practices is allowed. There are a far more examples of worst practices than best practices, but both are measures of usefulness. I would say that is a better depiction of this thread than the one you provided.
very familiar with inquiry limitations... in my situation there are those lenders that can get over it and those that can't. i have so many that one more from discover is not going to hurt the former, and the latter are a lost cause

i still think discover card is a useful card to have in the pocket, your are fine to disagree but it is certainly unfair to call out a blogger solely for pushing this card.

now the chase disney card?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Ok, I am really late catching up on FT as I watched the basketball game...

Putting the finishing touches on my blog post for tomorrow and want to give you guys a heads up on what is going to be in it. I am not naming names but you all can figure out the long list of bloggers that I am talking about

You know what drives me absolutely nuts? Seeing bloggers come up with more and more innovative ways to write a blog post that would never ever see the light of day if it was not to push the same affiliate links again and again and again and again. You see it all around the miles/points blogoshpere every day. What especially irks me is to see a misleading deadline that is designed in such a way to catch your attention and make you think "Oh, there must be some actual content in this blog post, I may even learn something". And you surf there and you start reading and you may even think 'this is not bad" and then...bang bang bang come the Chase and AMEX affiliate links. To take it to another level, you never see a disclosure in the body of the post...not even a simple "I sure appreciate it". My readers tend to be a bit more advanced and know the shell game going on and can spot these bloggers from miles away.

Now I have no idea if this is ok to write here...Can't believe i am wasting time to even make such a thought!
Just to be conversational.

You write a blog titled Glacial Waterfalls, more Iceland, winter in Paris, dogs & penguins.

Then have no content in it at all related to that. Your content instead is why you are so mad at bloggers writing posts with no content and pushing links.

All you did is write something unrelated, then push links related to the title- admittedly your links aren't compensated ones, but that's the only difference.

Why not write a post with content related to the title if this concept irks you?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:38 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Well, I am TRYING to have a forum created for all blog talk all the time.

But it looks like it's not going to happen:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ogs-forum.html
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Just to be conversational.

You write a blog titled Glacial Waterfalls, more Iceland, winter in Paris, dogs & penguins.

Then have no content in it at all related to that. Your content instead is why you are so mad at bloggers writing posts with no content and pushing links.

All you did is write something unrelated, then push links related to the title- admittedly your links aren't compensated ones, but that's the only difference.

Why not write a post with content related to the title if this concept irks you?
Hey, my headline is much more relevant than some of the misleading headlines of other bloggers that are designed to reel you in and & then blindside you with affiliate credit card links!

My blog is meant to be a roundup of links to other blogs I find interesting, educational and/or fun. I also have a "On my mind" section that I write about, well, what's on my mind. Maybe once a week I will write my own extensive commentary, usually the weekend. I am just too busy going through my 600+ Google Reader feeds to separate the crap from the few links I consider worthy sharing.

I liked "you push links" line
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop

I liked "you push links" line
AHAHAAH! You just need to talk to bentoffers now. ^
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Well, I am TRYING to have a forum created for all blog talk all the time.

But it looks like it's not going to happen:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ogs-forum.html
Just from looking at the Manufactured Spending thread that was created. There seems to be no one moderating that section. There are a ton of threads that need to be merged and off topic threads that need to be closed.

I don't see why one couldn't simply create a second thread for negative feedback on bloggers and use the others to give praise. I think we all know which would be the most popular thread.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I have been reading Christopher Elliott's blog lately and find it to be very good at providing original content, no credit card links and if he has Google ads, I am not seeing them because I use ....... Plus. He doesn't sugar-coat FF programs but I agree with his point of view that they are not the best option for everyone. They take time and effort to use to full advantage and some people have more time and some people have more money and are better off just buying tickets and saving quality time for other pursuits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.