Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
We're working on it. Hard to strike a balance with quantity and real-estate!
May I suggest starting by trimming the header images down from the huge that they are on each blog right now?? No actual content in the first 600 pixels of the page is pretty bad.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:18 pm

brooklynmatt, I hope you are paying close attention re. how to report the news.

(1) post your affiliate links
(2) include a brief summary to justify
(3) link to blog that initially posted for more details
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
May I suggest starting by trimming the header images down from the huge that they are on each blog right now?? No actual content in the first 600 pixels of the page is pretty bad.
We have a couple of templates we're toying with for f2b's main page which is a priority now. I'm not a fan of the 3 vertical column design since it does tend to repeat posts that are in the "most recent widget". Our main tech guy was/is out with a family medical issue so we put a few things on pause until he can come back.

thanks for the idea though.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:26 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I do think it's news-worthy that Virgin Atlantic became a UR partner.

But even as I heard the news I was thinking, 'lol, I can guarantee the blogs are going to be ALL OVER THIS reporting the news and cramming in as many affiliate links as possible.'

Anyway, I was thinking: my wife and I only have ONE UR card. Do you think that I could cut a deal with a blog to split the affiliate payout if my wife and I use their affiliate link to get the rest of the cards? My credit score is 817, so it's easy money!

If any bloggers want to PM me, we have one Ink Bold but that's it. Make me an offer!
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:28 pm

We have a couple of templates we're toying with for f2b's main page which is a priority now. I'm not a fan of the 3 vertical column design since it does tend to repeat posts that are in the "most recent widget". Our main tech guy was/is out with a family medical issue so we put a few things on pause until he can come back.

thanks for the idea though.
Right now i see your post about strikes three times: one on top widget, one on left column, one on right column.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by webazoid
Right now i see your post about strikes three times: one on top widget, one on left column, one on right column.
exactly what we're trying to remedy.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:29 pm

exactly what we're trying to remedy. We're working on streamlining categories, etc so the duplication is removed
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I do think it's news-worthy that Virgin Atlantic became a UR partner.

But even as I heard the news I was thinking, 'lol, I can guarantee the blogs are going to be ALL OVER THIS reporting the news and cramming in as many affiliate links as possible.'

Anyway, I was thinking: my wife and I only have ONE UR card. Do you think that I could cut a deal with a blog to split the affiliate payout if my wife and I use their affiliate link to get the rest of the cards? My credit score is 817, so it's easy money!

If any bloggers want to PM me, we have one Ink Bold but that's it. Make me an offer!
If the affiliate companies discover that the blogger is giving kickbacks then they lose their links. Don't think any of them would want to risk it.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
You could do even better than that!

1. First agree to split the payout.

2. Then once they've paid, send them a note and let them know you will report them to their affiliate company for providing you with a kickback for using their link unless they give you the other half of the payout.

3. Once they've paid that, tell them you want 10% of their take every month or else you report them and they'll get zero.

4. When they can't pay, threaten to break their legs.

5. Begin charging them exorbitant rates of interest when they fall behind on the payments. Just don't break their hands or else they can't blog, because if they can't blog, they can't earn.

#LittleKoko'sCollegeFund
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:42 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by yerffej201
If the affiliate companies discover that the blogger is giving kickbacks then they lose their links. Don't think any of them would want to risk it.
But I promise the utmost of discretion! @:-)^

Kind of ironic that they don't like kickbacks on their kickbacks...
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Yet they tell people without businesses to get business credit cards to then make non-business related purchases.

Hey here's a business credit card with a $5,000 spending requirement, but don't worry... you can go buy gift cards to meet that spending requirement!

Lets face it. Without manufactured spending I'm going to guess that they would stand to lose a fairly decent % of credit card referrals. Also, I would think that a majority of these trip reports could not be possible without these spending methods.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:11 pm

Depends on the setup. Many shopping portals pay out a % of their earned commission.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

hotelmagician.com used to offer Amazon gift cards for using their affiliate links, but I don't see it on their site anymore. I've often wondered the same thing with regards to splitting the kickback.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Depends on the setup. Many shopping portals pay out a % of their earned commission.
Completely depends on the merchant. They are quite explicit about it in their agreements with the portal operators.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
You aren't as bad as Milevalue, but titles that include "free" tend to never offer any information that one can get for free.

or putting something like, "12,500 Miles to Asia in First Class" or 7,500 Miles to South America

When you write, "A free ticket one way anywhere until 2014… that’s travel hacking." You are technically paying for this with you original redemption of an award ticket, so how is it free?

Overall the design and layout of the site is good.
Thanks- I'm pretty proud of that post. For me it's free because I had to book the original redemption, so tacking on a free one is.. Well, free.

I also like that you can reduce a 60k saver coach to 57.5k by adding the extra leg. I thought that was nifty.

Glad you liked the layout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.