Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:50 pm

My thoughts on Discover card, which I've had for a very long time:

Their shopping portal does give some very high CB bonuses, like 15-20X, especially for groupon.

That said, I have found them to be problematic in actually crediting your account. Despite going through their shopping portal, my CB bonus always seems to be missing. When I contact them about it, they say I didn't use their shopping portal and have me submit proof from the merchant that I did. The proof they ask for is not good enough it is submitted, etc, etc. Honestly, it's 50/50 whether Discover will properly credit your CB.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:24 pm

If anyone really wants to apply for a Discover they can get a $50 bonus if they are referred by a friend. And if whoever refers you is actually your friend they might even give you the $50 referral. $50-100 isn't much, but better than using an affiliate link.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by HikerT
If anyone really wants to apply for a Discover they can get a $50 bonus if they are referred by a friend. And if whoever refers you is actually your friend they might even give you the $50 referral. $50-100 isn't much, but better than using an affiliate link.
actually if you dig around there are deals from time to time where you can get $100-$150 cashback for signing up. but of course your "friend" gets nothing because you take it all. but maybe your suggestion was tainted by wanting the referral fee (ok ok we've done this one to death now....)
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
There's a deal on Amazon I believe for $75 right now.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
actually if you dig around there are deals from time to time where you can get $100-$150 cashback for signing up. but of course your "friend" gets nothing because you take it all. but maybe your suggestion was tainted by wanting the referral fee (ok ok we've done this one to death now....)
I thought I made it pretty clear who ended up with the $100 (the friend signing up for the card not the person referring them). I recall AMEX has a refer a friend program but it tends to shafts the person signing up with a sub-par offer.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
My motto is:

"Thou shalt not shaft"

Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:36 pm

Hey look, matthew from upgrd.com is pushing the us air 30k cc offer!

I don't know what to say here.... *insert witty comment here*
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:06 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by yerffej201
*insert witty comment here*
May I try?

Wow! What a deal! That's ALMOST as good a deal as they offer on every single USAir flight.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...AMEX has a refer a friend program but it tends to shafts the person signing up with a sub-par offer.
This program disappeared in the USA, just before American Express started aggressively marketing through creditcards.com.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:17 am

+1
My experience with discover is exactly the same. Either they have a screwed up system or they purposely deny cashback until you complain.

Because of this, I stopped using discover unless the cashback is REALLY worth my time to track and monitor.

Originally Posted by Montacute
My thoughts on Discover card, which I've had for a very long time:

Their shopping portal does give some very high CB bonuses, like 15-20X, especially for groupon.

That said, I have found them to be problematic in actually crediting your account. Despite going through their shopping portal, my CB bonus always seems to be missing. When I contact them about it, they say I didn't use their shopping portal and have me submit proof from the merchant that I did. The proof they ask for is not good enough it is submitted, etc, etc. Honestly, it's 50/50 whether Discover will properly credit your CB.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:50 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
when is the Points & Miles Blogs Forum going to open since it passed Talkboard?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jammanxc
when is the Points & Miles Blogs Forum going to open since it passed Talkboard?
Work has already begun. Please continue to post in this thread which will be transferred to the new forum.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
MMS

I may have said nice things about MMS.
Let me repeat if so. I wanted a CITI AA card. Clicked on Million Mile Secrets. Found a 50,000 miles mention but with a clear DISCLAIMER:
Not my link (mine is 40 K, YMMV).

Classy act.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:47 am

It is sad state of affairs that simply doing the right thing is considered classy. I'd say classy is what FrequentMiler does:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...ral-backpedal/
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:10 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
It is sad state of affairs that simply doing the right thing is considered classy. I'd say classy is what FrequentMiler does:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...ral-backpedal/
Based on that post alone, I am going to follow that blog for a while! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.