Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by fishdance
How many non affiliate links out of 45 are there?
Like none... haha. even the discover cards are good! Go apply for them!
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Like none... haha. even the discover cards are good! Go apply for them!
Discover is good for access to the ShopDiscover cashback portal IMO. Seems to offer some of the highest rates of CB out of all programs, sometimes going to 15-20%.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
Discover is good for access to the ShopDiscover cashback portal IMO. Seems to offer some of the highest rates of CB out of all programs, sometimes going to 15-20%.
They could be. I don't know US CC's very well.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
You should read my blog about it. I have an affiliate link you can use if you ever move to America.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: A few
It is... while it's not very exciting it's a very good card to have for the odd very high cash back rate. I would not expect any best cash-back card discussion to not include discover
Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:08 pm

Doesn't everyone think it's a little strange that the top 5 cashback cards that TPG recommends are all affiliate links?
TPG's last churn was 100% affiliate free, including three where his affiliate offers were worse (five total).
http://thepointsguy.com/2013/03/deciding-on-the-best-travel-credit-card-deals-for-my-recent-round-of-applications/
Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Ok, seriously though, I AM going to apply for a UR card this week...just met my bonus threshold so need a new one. All I ask is for $100 for going through someone's affiliate portal.

There must be some desperate blog out there struggling to make their quota!
SPG Amex offers card holders points for referring friends...

Why does Chase not jump on the bandwagon?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:44 pm

While the shopdiscover portal tends to have very competitive payouts, you'd need to be doing a lot of online shopping to justify the credit inquiry. An inqjuiry is worth $500 minimum in opportunity cost. Let's be generous and say the shopdiscover portal would get you 2% more cash back than other portals. You would need to do $25K of online shopping to justify the inquiry. Better to wait for a good sign up bonus. Of course, TPG is pandering to clueless noobs who can probably afford the inquiry, but clearly his choices are tainted by the affiliate commission.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by HikerT
While the shopdiscover portal tends to have very competitive payouts, you'd need to be doing a lot of online shopping to justify the credit inquiry. An inqjuiry is worth $500 minimum in opportunity cost. Let's be generous and say the shopdiscover portal would get you 2% more cash back than other portals. You would need to do $25K of online shopping to justify the inquiry. Better to wait for a good sign up bonus. Of course, TPG is pandering to clueless noobs who can probably afford the inquiry, but clearly his choices are tainted by the affiliate commission.
Bah I think the "must be worth $500 in opportunity cost" is mumbo jumbo. I've thrown in a Discover card into prior app-o-ramas without any "lost opportunity" or any significant impact on credit.

And the differential is often significantly more than 2%. It is frequently as much as 10% or even more, especially when they run their specials. It also stacks up with their quarterly 5x promos.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
SPG Amex offers card holders points for referring friends...

Why does Chase not jump on the bandwagon?
Sadly I'm pretty sure they discontinued this. Totally sucks, and I wish they'd bring it back
Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HikerT
I don't know about $500. My score drops maybe 3-4 points per card in a churn if even that. Worth less than $50 in my opinion.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
Originally Posted by tjbrooks
TPG's last churn was 100% affiliate free, including three where his affiliate offers were worse (five total).
http://thepointsguy.com/2013/03/deci...-applications/
So he didn't apply for amazing Capital One card?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by fishdance
So he didn't apply for amazing Capital One card?
3 pulls for the price of one
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by mnscout
I don't know about $500. My score drops maybe 3-4 points per card in a churn if even that. Worth less than $50 in my opinion.
Credit scores aren't necessarily the limiting factor. If you value an inquiry at $50 probably a lost cause to try to explain.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Bah I think the "must be worth $500 in opportunity cost" is mumbo jumbo. I've thrown in a Discover card into prior app-o-ramas without any "lost opportunity" or any significant impact on credit.
How do you define impact on credit? Bonus points if it's something other than looking at credit scores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.