Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:57 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
and what does post count really have to do with the price of tea in China?
Let's have that discussion in OMNI...or Coupy Cnxn! @:-)
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Please be nice, we were all newbies once
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
Originally Posted by freeloader
HA - had to love TPG's post today... opening paragraph

"TPG contributor Jason Steele is back with another in-depth look at the Chase Ink family of credit cards and how you can maximize their category spending bonsues and gift cards."

"Another" is definately an understatement...

Nooooooooooooooooo..This had full potential to write one new topic for each restaurant as I proposed yesterday. Jason, you'd be making a bank at $50 a pop for "How to maximize UR points at ___________"

Staples Restaurants: Applebee’s, Chili’s, Coldstone Creamery, Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesday, Panera, PF Chang, and Subway.

Office Max Restaurants: Baja Fresh, Cheesecake Factory, Chili’s, Ihop, Olive Garden, Outback Steakhouse, Panera, PF Chang’s, Pizza Hut, Red Lobster, Red Robin, Starbucks, Subway, and TGI Friday.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Now that my Chase Freedom card looks like it will not earn the 10+10% I better go and buy a Panera GC from my local Office Max to get 5x. Thank you fishdance for the tip. We should have a prize how many Ink related posts appear in blogs in a single day or which blogger posts the very next one ( I am sure many are working them right NOW)
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:17 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by 84fiero
My parents still use cash (or check!) for everything, they act like a debit card is poison...so I obviously make no headway with rewards cards.
My In-Laws have 1 debit card and that's it. They have some pretty horrible credit to. The worst part is that they have their own business where they spend a lot and get reimbursed.... they are missing out on SO MANY points. I've been tempted to get them a card on my account and see if they would be willing to use it! I would even be willing to give them a portion of the points
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:46 am

Thanks, hsilman, for your kind words. Much appreciated. I have already benefited from advice offered here and on milepoint, as well as on selected blogs, and am happy to contribute when I have something to say!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Scottrick
The argument I've heard is the opposite (and keep in mind what I'm saying after this is just what I've heard, but it makes sense):

With Chip + PIN, the bank assumes that if the transaction goes through, then you must have authorized it. Who else would know the PIN? I've heard it is very difficult to dispute transactions.

With signature based transactions in the U.S. the responsibility lies with the merchant to prove that it was an authorized transaction. When you dispute a charge, the bank can go to the merchant and tell them to prove you were there. I've never had any problem disputing a charge in the past.

Now, maybe a PIN makes it hard to get a bad charge to go through in the first place, but if god forbid someone should figure it out, then you're screwed as far as I see it.
For me I don't think it's the pin or signature that's the issue. It's the chip vs. the magnetic stripe. Because AFAIK it's easy to swipe the stripe, but much harder to duplicate the chip.

With PINs, yes, it could go either way. Yes, that's why you make your pin random. Ideally though I'd like chip and signature.

Why I think it's safe in Canada (and I could be wrong) is that simply I haven't heard as much fraud in Canada vs. the States. I've heard several bloggers (as well as several horror stories from my American friends) where there are strange charges on your card. Yes, the fraud protection does help I think, but there's a much greater chance of fraud. I've never heard of unauthorized charges in Canada since the chip and pin switchover several years ago. It could be because of the stripe, but then I'm not sure about that.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by yerffej201
For me I don't think it's the pin or signature that's the issue. It's the chip vs. the magnetic stripe. Because AFAIK it's easy to swipe the stripe, but much harder to duplicate the chip.

With PINs, yes, it could go either way. Yes, that's why you make your pin random. Ideally though I'd like chip and signature.

Why I think it's safe in Canada (and I could be wrong) is that simply I haven't heard as much fraud in Canada vs. the States. I've heard several bloggers (as well as several horror stories from my American friends) where there are strange charges on your card. Yes, the fraud protection does help I think, but there's a much greater chance of fraud. I've never heard of unauthorized charges in Canada since the chip and pin switchover several years ago. It could be because of the stripe, but then I'm not sure about that.
Or maybe your just not reading the news

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...-montreal.html
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
and what does post count really have to do with the price of tea in China?
Speaking of which did you know that you'll pay no foreign transaction fee when buying tea during your trip to China, with the amazing deal Chase INK Bold card that you can get through these affiliate links???
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Speaking of which did you know that you'll pay no foreign transaction fee when buying tea during your trip to China, with the amazing deal Chase INK Bold card that you can get through these affiliate links???
Do they sell teas at office supply stores in China?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by amolkold
Do they sell teas at office supply stores in China?
Ah, may I invite you to the Questions Only thread ?
Or Misunderstand this post and Reply thread ?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:49 pm

I did not know that

You should write a blog post about it
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I did not know that

You should write a blog post about it
Considering my wife once mistakenly ordered us a $25 pot of tea in China, I certainly wish the Sapphire card had existed back then. I think I heard that it earns 2X at restaurants. And no FX fees! No FX fees! Did you know that????
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:06 pm

Or maybe your just not reading the news

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...-montreal.html
The exact same article says that to protect your card:

Use a debit machine that has a chip reader.
I'm assuming those readers didn't read chips, only stripes?
Interesting how they targeted debit cards and bank accounts. I wonder if you can restrict cash advances...
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
The exact same article says that to protect your card:

I'm assuming those readers didn't read chips, only stripes?
Interesting how they targeted debit cards and bank accounts. I wonder if you can restrict cash advances...
It also has other really "useful" tips like

Guard the pin - well these guys had access to regular cashier machines

Use cash - wow did they have Einstein write that one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.