Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
We are actually trying a post today where the only text link is for a non affiliate card where we do not have a corresponding banner ad. The results should be interesting.

my question has always been: is it the blue color of the link that bothers you all?

Or the fact, if you personally decide to click it, it goes to an ad that provides the needed application page,?

Or, the fact that the ad compensates the party that inserted the link?

You always have the choice to not click the ad.
I think the thing is that, at one time, it wouldn't have been noteworthy for yours and other blogs to have posts about various subjects, without affiliate-links. Now it's basically every post on many sites. Which wouldn't be so bad as long as the poster also does his best effort to note a better offer even if it's not his. Seems like those are the two main concerns that I see, anyway.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 4:15 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JSteele
When I started writing online, I was thrilled to make $25 an article. Later, I was ecstatic to earn $50. So it all depends on the writer, the outlet, demand, supply, experience and a whole bunch of other stuff.
The other approach is to pay based on traffic rather than a flat charge. I prefer this method since it rewards good writers for producing good content. Not that they can't do that with a flat fee, but I have no idea if one $50 article is going to be as good as another $50 article. I'd rather pay $20 for the one that brings 2,000 page views and $80 for the one that brings 8,000. I also dislike the idea of paying by word count. A good post can be short and to-the-point, or sometimes it needs more explanation.

Originally Posted by JSteele
But, when the sites I write for (most of them are not point/mile stuff) make money on affiliate links, I do not deserve most of the credit. Putting together a quality site is very tough, and I don't know how to do much of it, except for the writing part. For proof, take a look at my crappy, non-monitized personal site.
True, but you could also argue that your post created a vehicle for including those links. You might deserve a cut even if you don't deserve all of it. It is a lot of effort to create and maintain an affiliate relationship. The other half is creating the content that encourages people to check out the offers and decide if one is worth applying.

There are existing technologies in Google Analytics and most affiliate dashboards to track pageviews and affiliate applications according to content written by different authors.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
my question has always been: is it the blue color of the link that bothers you all?

Or the fact, if you personally decide to click it, it goes to an ad that provides the needed application page,?

Or, the fact that the ad compensates the party that inserted the link?
None of the above. It is the way the motivation to include more links skews the writing quality/content. At least for me.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
None of the above. It is the way the motivation to include more links skews the writing quality/content. At least for me.
I kind of get what your saying. Do you ever watch the TV show Bones? For the last few seasons, everyone on the show drives a Toyota, and ever other episode features an entire scene where someone is demonstrating the wonderful features of their Toyota. I feel like my DVR should skip those scenes, but I still watch the show.

But at the same time, I don't think that you should be so paranoid about the site's motivations. I freelance for a lot of different sites with credit card links, and they have all given me, someone who is not paid by affiliate links, editorial freedom to say what I feel to be the truth about which credit cards I like and the ones I don't.

Obviously I can't speak for all sites with links, but I have written for many personal finance sites in the last 5 years. I use credit cards myself, and I read a lot of credit card related blogs. In most cases, I don't feel like I am watching Bones.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:40 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I'm having a weird experience akin to deja vu today. It's like when you learn a new word and then, all of the sudden, you hear that word all the time.

I suddenly noticed that every single points and miles blog post is about awesome credit card offers...or about something else AND awesome credit card offers.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
My question to all those unhappy with ads or links on blogs, how do you watch TV ? Most commercials for most people are a nuisance. The only way is to pay for a premium channel like HBO, which does tout its coming attractions.

FTG, maybe you want to drop that first dark blue on your posts ?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by HMPS
My question to all those unhappy with ads or links on blogs, how do you watch TV ? Most commercials for most people are a nuisance. The only way is to pay for a premium channel like HBO, which does tout its coming attractions.

FTG, maybe you want to drop that first dark blue on your posts ?
Even HBO gets huge revenue from product placements. Just because they don't cut to a 2 minute ad break, doesn't mean they don't have huge ad revenue.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
I don't know how many times I'm going to repeat this, but the issue isn't the presence of advertising, it's the integration of advertising into the actual content and the influence of the content by affiliate links.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Thanks for being so forthright.

I am actually a little shocked at the $100 per article offer.

I know it is supposed to be a well-guarded secret, but does anyone know how much an average blog affiliated-linked credit card sign-up pays? (not sure I phrased that right, but you know what i mean: how much cash does a blogger get when someone gets a cc from that blogger's link)

Because if one article is worth $100 then that fee must be FAR higher than I had assumed (I was thinking like $10 or something).
I think flexoffers gives $80 for Chase Sapphire? Or was it CSP?
Anyways, let's calculate how much Brian gets...
quantcast shows anywhere between 9000 and 13500 visitors per day. Let's say average 11,000 visitors (US). I think that's pretty easy to determine. The hard part is figuring out click through rate. I have no idea what it is, but even at 1% click rate and actual 0.05% application rate, one post will get a minimum of $400 (minus any hiring fees) of posts.
So definitely there is money to be made.

Originally Posted by fishdance
Ask Mile Value guy why he was busting his sitting cushions over one card in particular. He'll give you at least $130 worth of excuses how it was all about professional writing and unbiased opinion.
Mr. MV really likes his AMEX Mercedes Benz. Especially if people are CLICKING.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I'm having a weird experience akin to deja vu today. It's like when you learn a new word and then, all of the sudden, you hear that word all the time.

I suddenly noticed that every single points and miles blog post is about awesome credit card offers...or about something else AND awesome credit card offers.
It's like the old Shamwow and Oxyclean commercials!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
First, what is Bones?

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
...but the issue isn't the presence of advertising, it's the integration of advertising into the actual content and the influence of the content by affiliate links.
For me, add the non existent or well hidden disclosure of the financial relationship, the (to me imho) hideous practice of conveniently not offering the better offer and the almost non existent alarming (instead of get this card now, only good until tomorrow!!) language to make some folks think that this should not be thought of as a game when they first start out as this game can really screw up your life. There is more, I should start writing these down and make a separate blog post. One day...
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold

This is because there is absolutely no other vehicle in the world that can get you where you want to be and stay where you want to be for free even if you are not a frequent traveler.

Bloggers see the opportunity and respond to it. It does not exist beyond the US borders, which is why you don't see a lot of European or even Canadian travel blogs heavily promoting credit card bonuses. Their best credit card offers are nothing short of pathetic compared to the milefest we're all experiencing here. (My heart goes out to you guys, really).

What should mile'n'point blogs write about? How to manufature the miles? Frequent Miler does that beautifully. How to redeem creatively? Milevalue and a few others do that beautifully as well. But they cater to extremely hardcore bunch, who are a microscopic segment of frequent flyers in general, who are, in turn, a microscopic segment of general traveling public.

How many blogs like Frequent Miler can this tiny market sustain?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: A few
Actually the Toyota product placement in Bones is really quite intense. It is worth watching just as a case study of how deeply marketing has penetrated from the 2 min commercial brwak
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gpapadop
First, what is Bones?

For me, add the non existent or well hidden disclosure of the financial relationship, the (to me imho) hideous practice of conveniently not offering the better offer and the almost non existent alarming (instead of get this card now, only good until tomorrow!!) language to make some folks think that this should not be thought of as a game when they first start out as this game can really screw up your life. There is more, I should start writing these down and make a separate blog post. One day...
I started out very conservatively. In fact, I hesitated for a few years. Shouldn't have, as I would've been a life AA Platinum by now. However, the truth is that any financial decision you make in life can end up with you getting sucked in a downward spiral. Do consumers always buy the houses they can afford? The cars they can afford? The jewelry they can afford? Do TV or radio commercials warn them of dangers? OK, you don't like a comparison to commercials, how about product placements? Mile'n'point blogs are thousand times more benign than constant and relentless bombardment the consumer is subjected to by broadcast and print. At least with blogs, you can always tune in on a youtube kitties. Just one click of the mouse when you've had enough.

Last edited by mnscout; Mar 12, 2013 at 10:29 pm
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP

It all comes down to the question "How would you like to work for free?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.