Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2012, 7:38 am

There's no sky is falling mentality. Chase is upping the minimum spend, so they're giving advance notice. They're pretty clear about that, plus they also note that the $75 statement credit offer appears dead too. For someone like myself that struggles to meet ever growing minimum spends, the advance notice is useful. It's a solid card, the only one I keep paying the annual fee for. Dedicating more than one post would be getting into shameless territory though IMO.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by RetiredRoadWarrior
For my purposes, goals, and continuing education . . .

Scott at http://milevalue.com/ Unique and useful content. And I highly recommend his award travel booking service.
Second on his award travel booking - great job and price -- $149 total for two travelers.

Last edited by mia; Oct 6, 2012 at 9:15 pm Reason: Repair format
Old Oct 6, 2012, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by GoGreen
Originally Posted by RetiredRoadWarrior
For my purposes, goals, and continuing education . . .

Scott at http://milevalue.com/ Unique and useful content. And I highly recommend his award travel booking service.
Second on his award travel booking - great job and price -- $149 total for two travelers.
Yeah, this kid is good. Sad to say I've left some of the older bloggers by the road due to the credit card groveling.

And the award to most foul-mouthed travel blog goes to this person.

Last edited by mia; Oct 6, 2012 at 9:17 pm Reason: Repair formatting
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by GuyverII
Yeah, this kid is good. Sad to say I've left some of the older bloggers by the road due to the credit card groveling.
Nice blog, no affiliate links yet.

Last edited by mia; Oct 6, 2012 at 9:19 pm Reason: Repair formatting
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold

And the award to most foul-mouthed travel blog goes to this person.
And I would argue that that particular post is a good reason why bloggers must sensor some comments. Coming to one's house and trashing the host is not something that anyone would tolerate. Why do some folks believe that with internet anything goes?

Last edited by mia; Oct 6, 2012 at 9:20 pm Reason: Repair formatting
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:10 pm

I find it funny that the bloggers on Boardingarea spam the crap out of their sites. Seriously, do they need to continously repeat the same info over and over?
On top of that it's so annoying when all they do is copy thing off FT or slickdeals/dans deal.

Also, the new bloggers there are noobs that havent even been in the game long.

Useful blogger milevalue.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HikerT
Last December there were public DL AMEX Gold offers in the 40K+ range. I think I was targeted for something closer to 50K but didn't bite, and I'm not planning to bite on 70K as I would rather save the inquiry for a 50K or 75K MR offer. With AP, a 10K spend is no biggie, particularly if you get creative adding family as AUs. :mum: Even if 30K was as good as it ever got, it doesn't change the fact that a sub par signup offer is still a sub par signup offer. If you value the card benefits that might change the equation, but I just don't see how the DL AMEX Gold at 30K makes anyone's top 10 list, fanboy or not.
And you're right, it doesn't! I'm just saying that as long as this particular card is not offering a better publicly available bonus right now it's not misleading to post it, especially considering small spend, because there are some folks who are dependent on Delta for one reason or another.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 7:02 pm

As far as whether it's misleading to post, it depends. I don't see how anyone could promote the 30K DL AMEX Gold as one of the best points cards, much less put it near the top of their list. That's a real stretch! In contrast, MMS recommends folks login to their DL account to see if they have a better offer, and doesn't recommend they sign up unless the offer is 40K or more.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
There's no sky is falling mentality. Chase is upping the minimum spend, so they're giving advance notice. They're pretty clear about that, plus they also note that the $75 statement credit offer appears dead too. For someone like myself that struggles to meet ever growing minimum spends, the advance notice is useful. It's a solid card, the only one I keep paying the annual fee for. Dedicating more than one post would be getting into shameless territory though IMO.
So let me get this straight: If 1 post is OK, and 2 posts is getting into shameless territory, then is 3 posts (in 5 days) definitely into shameless territory?

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...g-requirement/

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...ding-required/

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...ill-available/

Based on all the pathetic moneygrab attempts, I'd say he needs some money to send the kids off to college, but as far as I know he doesn't have kids. So I guess Momma must need a new pair (or 1000 new pair) of shoes.

Originally Posted by flyerfrog
Nice blog, no affiliate links yet.
I'm sorry to inform you that milevalue is now a sellout like most of the rest of the bloggers (except Loyalty Traveler, Wandering Aramean, and to a lesser extent FrequentMiler). Another one biites the dust:

http://milevalue.com/milevalue-com-w...filiate-links/

Expect another crappy blog in the near future doing nearly nothing but pushing the current credit card that offers the biggest affiliate referral to pad his pocket the most.

Last edited by mia; Oct 22, 2012 at 3:13 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
I'm sorry to inform you that milevalue is now a sellout like most of the rest of the bloggers (except Loyalty Traveler, Wandering Aramean, and to a lesser extent FrequentMiler). Another one biites the dust:

http://milevalue.com/milevalue-com-w...filiate-links/

Expect another crappy blog in the near future doing nearly nothing but pushing the current credit card that offers the biggest affiliate referral to pad his pocket the most.
Wow, with all the proof you just provided, how can anyone disagree...? Overreacting much?

Over the next 3 months, we will see if Milevalue continues to be a great blog or not. Just relax and stop being so cynical. Let's see if it's possible to have a top-notch blog that doesn't "sell out"
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:10 pm

I'd give milevalue the benefit of the doubt. That said, it is interesting that the next post after accepting affiliate links was to increase his valuation of UR, and the next post was an affiliate link for Sapphire Preferred. Coincidence? I would say yes, but it's a lot easier to say with a straight face that a credit card sign up is worth $800 when you aren't getting paid to sell it. I don't think his relatively high point valuations work in his favor in this regard.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, US - SPG, HH, PC, CC
Personally, I think Mile Value has done a fantastic job with his blog and am happy to see him finally earning some of the referral dollars.

However I do question his recent valuation of the CSP - notably that because you connect directly to a customer service rep instead of a machine, that makes the signup bonus worth an additional $10? Think about how much time this community wastes on the phone, filling out surveys for 50 points and hours spent chasing a deal that ultimately gets cancelled days later... My suggestion to him would be to stick with the nuts and bolts and leave the subjective valuations to his audience.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:28 pm
LKF

I will say this about a lot of the bloggers, yes, they do get an incentive to pump credit cards but like any job you want bonuses on top of getting to do what you love.
I have known one blogger (Mommy Points) for 17 years, which is a LONG, LONG, LONG time before she had a blog. She started her blog because she was seriously passionate about points and LOVED helping others. It has nothing to do with incentive for her. She would, and did, do it for free. She will sit down and talk points and miles with strangers for hours - directing them on how to become familiar with programs and then how to use and earn miles and points. And the fact that she gets to do it for a living and help people is a dream come true for her. She has always been like this, before, during and will be after, her blogging days are over.
Now, this is just one blogger and I am sure this type of ethics and care is not shown by all bloggers. But I do wish before we judge, that maybe we realize some of these bloggers have the passion for this and really want to direct and help us.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:16 am

Is this the same MommyPoints that came up with one of the lamest excuses ever to encourage readers to use her affiliate link for Ink Plus offer over the non-affiliate offer just to make a referral?

boardingarea.com/blogs/mommypoints/2012/11/11/unique-opportunity-to-choose-between-ink-sign-up-bonuses/

I have no doubt she started out with a passion to help others, but like many bloggers, her advice is tainted by referrals. With Ink Plus offering 0% interest for 6 months ANYONE can meet $5K of spend. Just buy $5K of gift cards at OD, liquidate via Amazon Payments over 5 months. No reason to give up 25K UR or be stuck with 10K spend just to give a blogger a $150 referral.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Remove blog link

Originally Posted by iahphx
Surprised I haven't seen a thread like this before (maybe I missed it, given the limitations of flyertalk's search engine).

To me, the most "useful" blog is the one that alerts me to deals I can use, and otherwise informs me of what's "going on" in the frequent flyer world without having to read every flyertalk post. I also like blogs that are interesting, amusing, and well written.

I'd rank my current blog preferences as follows:

1. ViewFromTheWing.com

2. ThePointsGuy.com

3. boardingarea.com/blogs/loyaltytraveler

4. FreeFrequentFlyermiles.com

5. OnlineTravelReview.com

6. TheFrugalTravelGuy.com

7. boardingarea.com/blogs/onemileatatime

There are some other worthwhile blogs that aren't exactly "frequent flyer" blogs, but have useful travel information and deals. Crankyflier.com is a must read for me, and I'm impressed by the money-saving focus of dansdeals.com, even though most of his non-travel deals have little relevance to me.

What are your favorites?
www.airwaysandtravels.com - great trip reports!

Last edited by mia; Dec 18, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.