Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Stubtify
A perfect example of what is wrong, 2 minutes of googling found this:

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/03/my-b...ines-for-2-50/

Stressing the $5,000 flight for 60,000 points and $2.50 makes you feel you can actually take this trip with just a signup bonus or two. It includes two links to Chase signups. It doesn't discuss how you would take anyone with you, or even how you get home.

There is an underlying subtle danger in telling people the longest flight in the world is availble for $2.50 and one or two signup bonuses--they then will expect the shortest flights in the world to be just as attainable. Signing up for cards first, before you know the ropes, before you know if you can go where and when you're planning is a dangerous game.

Award travel means sacrificing something:

1) Travel dates
2) Travel Destination
3) Number of Stops
4) Class of service

It is very, very difficult to get all 4 of those without paying for the highest level awards (which are not even open to partners).

The lack of transparency is what irks me--posts like this one can be misleading to newbies.
Yup. I'm usually quite flexible on travel dates, thankfully, and same with number of stops. (For my travels, it's rare that a non-stop flight exists, anyway.)

One of my coworkers wants to go to LHR in January. I told her I could try and help with the miles thing, but you're taking a gamble. Be prepared to pay cash if the seats aren't available and you're not flexible.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Stubtify
Award travel means sacrificing something:

1) Travel dates
2) Travel Destination
3) Number of Stops
4) Class of service

It is very, very difficult to get all 4 of those without paying for the highest level awards (which are not even open to partners).
^

My success rate at finding the flight I want to take at the mileage redemption all these bloggers promote is somewhere around 5%, if that
Old Sep 30, 2012, 7:34 pm

Wow.

A couple thousand posts of this.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:43 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Wow.

A couple thousand posts of this.
Yep, it is a pretty hot topic.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:59 pm

Apparently Delta Points is telling folks to steer clear of the 70K AMEX opportunity for ethical reasons, lol. Reminds me of this nugget:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...-points-today/

I really do need to start reading that blog again, just for the entertainment value.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
Apparently Delta Points is telling folks to steer clear of the 70K AMEX opportunity for ethical reasons, lol. Reminds me of this nugget:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...-points-today/

I really do need to start reading that blog again, just for the entertainment value.
I don't read that blog but if you're referring to the Oct 4 post, it read to me that the blogger was concerned about applicants being dogged by Amex and perhaps being subjected to a Financial Review. I did not read the post as advising readers to not apply for ethical reasons.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:13 pm

In the comments (at least the ones that haven't been censored) it seemed like he was on some sort of high horse, but yeah, it seems like the only reason he won't do it (even though he considers it to be "fraud") is because of the risk of repercussion.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...ex-card-again/

IMO if you are telling a reader to change code, ie not just click on a public “wild” link, so they are committing fraud. That is IMO and I will not tell reader to do that. You do what you want.

Last edited by saacman5033; Oct 5, 2012 at 1:18 pm Reason: Edited out personal reference/attack
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I don't read that blog but if you're referring to the Oct 4 post, it read to me that the blogger was concerned about applicants being dogged by Amex and perhaps being subjected to a Financial Review. I did not read the post as advising readers to not apply for ethical reasons.
I read the post and took it the same as you did.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Mile-a-holic
but I think most people would feel hurt by comments about their personal photo (and I'm fairly certain bloggers are human).

This does makes me laugh because back in the day, when a supervisor would go on a rant about an employee ("and..and..and...and") I often would wait until s/he paused for a breath and then very seriously ask "and does his mother dress him funny too?"
Commenting on someone's look's or attire is not really a relevant point, is it? The FT fashion police on patrol?

Mile-a-holic... I'm going to use that quote... great comic relief!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:53 pm

In the same blog post Delta Points complains about his AMEX affiliate links not working. He has encouraged his readers to churn the sub par 30K DL Gold personal and biz offers. About 6 months ago my comments were removed on his blog when I debated the merits of using 2 credit inquiries for 2 x 30K skypesos and also pointing out that they would be better off waiting for a better offer than 30K. He even lists the 30K DL Gold offer at the top of his "best points cards" page as well.

Last edited by saacman5033; Oct 7, 2012 at 3:57 pm Reason: Deleted discussion of moderator actions which violates FT guidelines.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by HikerT
In the same blog post Delta Points complains about his AMEX affiliate links not working. He has encouraged his readers to churn the sub par 30K DL Gold personal and biz offers. About 6 months ago my comments were removed on his blog when I debated the merits of using 2 credit inquiries for 2 x 30K skypesos and also pointing out that they would be better off waiting for a better offer than 30K. He even lists the 30K DL Gold offer at the top of his "best points cards" page as well.
I am generally a defender of bloggers. Indeed I have started one myself. But in this case, I think the facts you highlight speak for themselves.

I am amazed anyone can recommend a Delta 30k card sign up card with a straight face

Last edited by saacman5033; Oct 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm Reason: Removed deleted content from quoted section
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I am generally a defender of bloggers. Indeed I have started one myself. But in this case, I think the facts you highlight speak for themselves.

I am amazed anyone can recommend a Delta 30k card sign up card with a straight face
While 30,000 miles is not a great offer, historically Delta has rarely offered much more to the general public. Correct me if I'm wrong and I promise not to take it personally. I remember a few 35,000 mile offers, very few 40K promotions, a 45K one recently, but that one required some hacking. There used to be a 50,000 business CC offer, but with $10,000 spend. If one wants skypesos, there are not too many ways to get them with a CC bonus. The last 70,000 one (which I was "unethical" enough to grab) is one weird cookie, and can not serve as a precursor of better things to come. So one could wait, of course, but the fact is 30,000 mile bonus is not so bad for Delta Amex.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:46 pm

Last December there were public DL AMEX Gold offers in the 40K+ range. I think I was targeted for something closer to 50K but didn't bite, and I'm not planning to bite on 70K as I would rather save the inquiry for a 50K or 75K MR offer. With AP, a 10K spend is no biggie, particularly if you get creative adding family as AUs. :mum: Even if 30K was as good as it ever got, it doesn't change the fact that a sub par signup offer is still a sub par signup offer. If you value the card benefits that might change the equation, but I just don't see how the DL AMEX Gold at 30K makes anyone's top 10 list, fanboy or not.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 2:28 am

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!

Oh no, wait. It just turns out that the Chase Hyatt Visa is upping their requirement for 2 Free Nights upon signup from a single purchase to a $1k purchase (within 3 months I assume). If you check BoardingArea right now though you'd think the sky was falling and the world is ending in a few days as no fewer than 4 different blogs on the front page of BA have big headline grabbing titles that the world is about to end and you need to apply for the Hyatt CC NOW.

What an absolute pathetic moneygrab by these bloggers. They really have no shame whatsoever.

Oh wait, they are doing it for the benefit of their readers. ^
Old Oct 6, 2012, 3:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
THE SKY IS FALLING!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!

Oh no, wait. It just turns out that the Chase Hyatt Visa is upping their requirement for 2 Free Nights upon signup from a single purchase to a $1k purchase (within 3 months I assume). If you check BoardingArea right now though you'd think the sky was falling and the world is ending in a few days as no fewer than 4 different blogs on the front page of BA have big headline grabbing titles that the world is about to end and you need to apply for the Hyatt CC NOW.

What an absolute pathetic moneygrab by these bloggers. They really have no shame whatsoever.

Oh wait, they are doing it for the benefit of their readers. ^
i thought the same thing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.