Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:28 pm

I read The Points Guy and Frugal Travel Guy daily.

But all roads lead to FT.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by jammanxc
1:1 to BA, avois points can be quite useful

i'd say he's the smartest since he's got great SEO skills and meta words/tags on his website... he's laughing all the way to the bank good job brian
...at the expense of his readers.

No matter how you justify it, transferring Chase UR points to worthless Avios is not a wise idea by any stretch of the imagination

The same award costing 100K miles + $100 fees using CO miles could very well cost 250K+ miles plus $500+ taxes on Avios. Oops.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by coremill
I know how marketing works. And I never said it was Brian's fault for getting that compensation. However, I think it is his fault for pretending that he is being treated normally when he says things like, ''I assume because I am an Executive Platinum, they put me on the London-Dallas non-stop aboard a 747, though some other First Class passengers were downgraded to Club World Business Class and most business class passengers had to re-route on other airlines or via Newark, Chicago and Miami.'' That's more than a little disingenious. How many of the people who were rerouted in J were EXP? Given that the MegaDo trip is full of elite FFs, likely a lot. How many of them were given 2 extra SWUs? We don't know. But if Brian is going to accept it he should stop being disingenious and pretending that this is ''proactive, stellar customer service'' and acknowledge that it's likely special treatment for people with influence, especially when he's reviewing these products.
That part of his blog post really struck me as odd, mostly because he is EXP only because he status matched as a part of the DO. Before last month, his loyalty was with DL, not AA. He simply just flew a few AA flights and matched to EXP, with as much flying as a GLD member would have to do. A 2011 PLT flew more on AA than he did. So how many others on this flight were EXP? Likely very many!
Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
What drives me nuts about half of these blogs, these days, is that they are adding travel reviews.

Especially on TPG, there are reviews of restaurants, hotels, and meals on planes. OK, if you are redeeming points, you want the best you can get, so maybe there's a bit of an overlap, but certainly not with restaurants, which you can't get by redeeming points.

I've seen Chinese tour guides, spa bathtubs in Turkey, and zip lines in Costa Rica. None of these guys are experts on this stuff; when I want info about it, I'll find it on TripAdvisor or somewhere else.

I read (works in past tense) these blogs for tips on accumulating points, and inventive ways to use them. I feel like these bloggers are all losing their focus.

Maybe it's the credit card thing? They thing that more content is necessarily better to get more credit card affiliate commissions, so they'll put up any blog post remotely related to travel, just to pump their commissions?

With the recent proliferation of these bloggers, and with the loss of focus, I'm driven back more and more to FT.
Two words: tax deduction. This is a full-time job for bloggers like TPG, so presumably to cover their bases with IRS when deducting these trips as business expenses, they post the useless reviews.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks

No matter how you justify it, transferring Chase UR points to worthless Avios is not a wise idea by any stretch of the imagination

The same award costing 100K miles + $100 fees using CO miles could very well cost 250K+ miles plus $500+ taxes on Avios. Oops.
The value spot with Avios points now is short haul trips on BA partners which cost a lot using cash. A good example are many of the flights to Canada from East Coast cities. Where there's an award worth taking with Avios, using Chase UR points to get needed Avios makes a lot of sense.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:54 am

This has been an interesting discussion, but I think folks are off-base with the Avios accusation. Go back and what he read -- he literally pointed out Chase UR transfers to Avios at 1:1 ratio. That's a fact, nothing more and nothing less. Whether someone thinks that's a good value or not is totally subjective.

I used up all my Avios before Nov. 16 to redeem CX F tickets (5 of them). A day later, I found myself needed to go from CLE to JFK with 12 hours notice. Walk-up tickets were outrageously expensive. It took me less than 5 minutes to transfer 4500 UR to Avios and ticket online via ba.com ($2.50 in fees). In that instance, it was an excellent use of UR points for me.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
The value spot with Avios points now is short haul trips on BA partners which cost a lot using cash. A good example are many of the flights to Canada from East Coast cities. Where there's an award worth taking with Avios, using Chase UR points to get needed Avios makes a lot of sense.
Yes, that's all fine and dandy, but the award in question (in TPG's post) was first class transatlantic... for which Avios is certainly not superior- for the lack of routing flexibility first and foremost, then also taxes/fees, quality of partners, award availability etc. etc.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, JetBlue Mosaic (sometimes)
I've been doing trips reports for a while now and never got any negative feedback so it is interesting to hear that some people don't like the concept. I set it up as a separate blog so people who are not interested don't have to read it. I also offer subscriptions to either all blog posts or just points post for the same reason. I like to think my travel blog advise is helpful to those that want to read it. For example, I used some starpoints and southwest points to go to the Phoenecian in Scottsdale. I wrote a long review detailing things such as the free sun tan lotion in the spa bathroom (which if someone told me, I would have left mine at home - I like to pack light) and how I got around without a rental car. So would an article such as this turn you off from my blog? Or by having my blogs separate, do I make everyone happy?

I am very supportive of FTers that call bloggers on giving bad advise clearly based on our financial incentives. There is no justification for that. Those who do it give us all a bad name and should be properly lynched. If I make a mistake, please slap my hand, I will fix it immediately (and not moderate your comments so please keep them civil). Some of the other complaints in this thread seem to be more about preference and skill level. If you don't like seeing lots of pictures of first class cabins, don't read those blogs (though I like those reports; I have been pretty unhappy in first before and generally find business class to be my cup of tea; knowing that a route's first cabin stands out may make me consider shelling out the extra points). Also note that FTers aren't our only audience. In my case, they are not the targets at all. Please don't yell at bloggers for giving the same old advice you see on FT when the blog is written for people that don't have the time to peruse FT.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:16 am

Trip reports > credit cards any day
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
This has been an interesting discussion, but I think folks are off-base with the Avios accusation. Go back and what he read -- he literally pointed out Chase UR transfers to Avios at 1:1 ratio. That's a fact, nothing more and nothing less. Whether someone thinks that's a good value or not is totally subjective.
Nothing more nothing less? Can we have an intellectually honest discussion about this? The only motivation was to make a loose connection to UR and pimp those cards. Nothing more nothing less. If you see it as simply discussing options you have blinders on. Sure, viewed in isolation it's not terrible advice to sign up for Ink or Sapphire or transfer 1:1 to BA depending on your goals or immediate needs. The problem is the context of the article was flying international first class on BA. He specifically said "if you want to fly on BA". There was no context or mention anywhere about redeeming on short haul or how best to use avios points. If he really wanted to discuss options to "fly on BA" he would have mentioned the BA card and companion ticket and encouraged waiting for the next 100K offer.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, BA, HH, IHG
Stop blog flog

We've got two threads going on right criticizing all the bloggers. I have been following them closely, enjoy reading them, and find that there are some valid points being made.

But admit it folks, if we had some nice mega-offers out there it would take our minds off some of the shortcomings of our daily reads.

Bring on the deals!
Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by coremill
This whole post raised a number suspicions. Why was TPG rerouted non-stop in BA New First while others booked in F were downgraded to business and had to fly longer itineraries? Why did they then give him 25,000 bonus miles AND 2 SWUs as compensation? The AA forum has a running "Guide to/and Listing of Compensation" thread, and I have never seen anyone given SWUs as compensation for anything, let alone for having to fly BA F instead of AA F and arrive an hour later than expected (the horror!). This sounds more like "let's keep people who are in a position to give us good PR happy" rather than "proactive, stellar customer service!".

It's probably just an IT glitch, but it doesn't help that comments are also closed for this post. Hmm.
I don't necessarily blame AA for being smart and making sure their high publicity event gets good reviews. But I agree it's disappointing to see the recipient(s) having the nerve to call ir "proactive, stellar customer service" Just be honest and say "Yeah my luck I was a blogger on this MegaDO and got these extras"

I mean, like you said AA doesn't have a history of anything near that sort of compensation for such a minor glitch (at least in TPG's specific situation). I've had to overnight due to a combo of MX and lazy, surly Gate Agents messing things up. Sure AA got me there eventually but after writing to customer service and waiting about 3 months, I got 10K miles. I appreciated it and felt it was more than fair...but 25K and two SWUs for an hour arrival delay and riding on BA First? Give me a break!
Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I don't necessarily blame AA for being smart and making sure their high publicity event gets good reviews. But I agree it's disappointing to see the recipient(s) having the nerve to call ir "proactive, stellar customer service" Just be honest and say "Yeah my luck I was a blogger on this MegaDO and got these extras"
Did I just read on somebody's blog that AA just had another OWMD flight go mx??? This is becoming comical.

The only blogger with the (warm) nuts to actually call a spade a spade is currently in China.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero

I mean, like you said AA doesn't have a history of anything near that sort of compensation for such a minor glitch (at least in TPG's specific situation). I've had to overnight due to a combo of MX and lazy, surly Gate Agents messing things up. Sure AA got me there eventually but after writing to customer service and waiting about 3 months, I got 10K miles. I appreciated it and felt it was more than fair...but 25K and two SWUs for an hour arrival delay and riding on BA First? Give me a break!
Let's try to put this in some context. There were other bloggers on this trip in the same situation, even EXPs. Did AA treat all participants so affected in the same manner or just TPG? I don't know.
If all were treated the same then great. If not then some got preferential treatment? If so, then point taken.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by belfordrocks

And this here is yet another tribute to the "validity" of blanket statements. For ME in NYC Avios points are priceless, not worthless. Every single trip to the Caribbean and many to Canada takes less on Avios than it does on AA. Everybody has different needs. I, for one, do consider transferring some of my UR point into Avios, because at least to ME it makes perfect sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.