Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:35 am
Formerly known as iahsumr

Who told you I got 10? That was supposed to be top secret?! I also got served lobster on the DFW - SEA flight when everyone else in coach got beef or chicken - don't tell.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mommy Points
Who told you I got 10? That was supposed to be top secret?! I also got served lobster on the DFW - SEA flight when everyone else in coach got beef or chicken - don't tell.
The service and compensation is based on how good looking the blogger is. That's the way I roll and as the main organizer I made sure AA followed through on that. I of course got 12
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hobo13
Here's a thought:

Rather than discuss each of these blogs in this mega-thread where it is impossible to find anything, I'd propose that FT create a discussion thread for each blog. Sort of like the FT blog companion.

This would do a couple of things:

1. Allow us to comment FREELY AND WITHOUT MODERATION on all the popular blogs
2. Keep eyeballs on FT, rather than let the viewership drift to the blogs

Sounds like a win-win for the FT community and Internet Brands, and it might actually force some accountability onto the bloggers.

Paging kokunutz! (This seems like just the type of radical proposal he would get behind!)
I'm liking this idea. Separate forum area maybe?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
how nice of the bloggers to contribute on the thread by yucking it up and not actually addressing the reasonable concerns regarding compensation and objectivity.

you realize that in essence we are your customers right? maybe you shouldn't patronize us
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:20 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by freeloader

you realize that in essence we are your customers right? maybe you shouldn't patronize us
Maybe people should not make baseless accusations without verified facts....
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by wijomas
Maybe people should not make baseless accusations without verified facts....
The last few pages have been a LOT more than about the crazy SWU compensation. It's about the content, or lack thereof, of the formerly miles/points blogs, now known as the credit card blogs.

Separately, nice snide comment on the previous page there ingy. It truly shows a lot of class.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seriously, I think their concerted effort to derail this reasonable thread of criticism is just reinforcing what we all know.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
how nice of the bloggers to contribute on the thread by yucking it up and not actually addressing the reasonable concerns regarding compensation and objectivity.

Obviously a few of these bloggers are taking this critique very seriously. Not. Actually, they are just showing what they really think of all this criticism. (They're laughing) (...on their way to the bank.)

Seriously though, the credit card pumping isn't nearly as annoying to me as the the fact that several of these blogs just seem more and more to be a series of "hey, look at me in first class!" or "hey, look at the latest tropical beach I'm on this week!" or "hey, look at me and what my Diamond status got me at this hotel"...etc ad nauseum without any real info to help the more 'average' traveler. But good for them I guess. Needless to say though, I'm checking in less often.

Last edited by brasov02; Jan 27, 2012 at 12:58 pm
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Seriously, I think their concerted effort to derail this reasonable thread of criticism is just reinforcing what we all know.
That they haven't stopped drinking since they started their MegaDo trip?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: SQ
I will forgive them if they all post for noobs how to search for OJS on their own so they stop posting them in the MR thread
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:14 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by josephstern
No one is derailing anything. The facts are simply a flight was cancelled and American and ba worked their tails off to get everyone home. Those that were sitting in first class (because they paid the most or donated the most to the komen foundation and there were first class seats ) got the ba nonstop and they were not all bloggers. Afaik everybody on the tatl of the megaDO got exactly the same compensation PROACTIVELY by American airlines. Some of us were routed through Chicago, Houston, Miami, Boston and Newark to get us to the next stop. Anybody onboard wad taken care of. If you had been on the journey youd been on the journey you'd been treated the same

Last edited by ingy; Jan 27, 2012 at 1:27 pm
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold

No, we are not! In essence, we are not PAYING customers, and they don't have to hold your hand and compliment your wits especially when you go out of your way to put them down. When you come to someone's home and don't like the way it's decorated, no one stops you from getting the hell out of there. Blogs should be treated the same way - no one makes anyone read them.

You do realize running a blog costs time and money, don't you? I swear, some net users are total ninnies. Not only do we vehemently refuse to pay for content no matter how good, but we scream off the top of our lungs when the blogger - god forbid - makes a buck on the side. You don't like it, vote with your feet. It's that easy!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by mnscout
No, we are not! In essence, we are not PAYING customers
He didn't say paying customers, he said customers, which every person is whenever they go to a website (and generate another page-view) for which the blogger is being compensated for.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by mnscout
No, we are not! In essence, we are not PAYING customers, and they don't have to hold your hand and compliment your wits especially when you go out of your way to put them down. When you come to someone's home and don't like the way it's decorated, no one stops you from getting the hell out of there. Blogs should be treated the same way - no one makes anyone read them.

You do realize running a blog costs time and money, don't you? I swear, some net users are total ninnies. Not only do we vehemently refuse to pay for content no matter how good, but we scream off the top of our lungs when the blogger - god forbid - makes a buck on the side. You don't like it, vote with your feet. It's that easy!
Actually, you've got it wrong. In essence, all of these bloggers' readers (at least the ones who are fishing for commissions) are potential paying customers just as anyone who walks off the street and into a traditional store are potential paying customers. We aren't going into anyone's private residence as you mis-analogize. We are going into a public blog/store. So the same store/customer relationships apply in this world which means the 'customer' is free to patronize and critique as they wish and of course the bloggers can do whatever they want with their store and treat their potential customers and critique any way they like. It's the public marketplace, not a private residence.
What we have going on in this thread is simply a few potential customers explaining why they may or may not choose to patronize a particular blog/store.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by airportbuster
He didn't say paying customers, he said customers, which every person is whenever they go to a website (and generate another page-view) for which the blogger is being compensated for.
Or I could have just said this and saved us all a lot of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.