Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HikerT
Yes, sadly there is no way on boardingarea to filter out certain bloggers. Some of them border on clueless (I'd add UnRoadWarrior to that list). I guess I just may have to break down and resort to RSS feeds or google reader.
Yeah - I did that once upon a time, but then I couldn't easily discover new blogs. But it's getting weighed down and painful. Now, I just see huge numbers in my Google Reader, and if I ever get the chance to scroll through them, it's pages and pages of repetitive stuff, mostly Hyatt Chase this, or Sapphire that.

I've actually started a second Reader account in a second browser and I'm working my way up individually, adding back only the useful stuff.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
My first response to the thread question was: All. Of. Them., because I never depend on one source of information, ever- at work, at home, etc...

Having said that, my first five of the day and followed on twitter:

thepointsguy
frugaltravelguy
onemileatatime
viewfromthewing
millionmilesecrets

And, of course, MilesBuzz!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HikerT
Yes, sadly there is no way on boardingarea to filter out certain bloggers. Some of them border on clueless (I'd add UnRoadWarrior to that list). I guess I just may have to break down and resort to RSS feeds or google reader.
HikerT, unroadwarrior here. Sorry to hear you feel that way. I am always open to feedback and criticism. I have never censored a single comment, no matter how much they disagreed with me. If you have any suggestions on how to make my blog better, I am all ears. Feel free to post here or PM me.

Sanjeev
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:59 pm

sharmaintl, sorry, for me the "Expert Tip" series didn't inspire much confidence, particularly tip #5 telling people to avoid AS and fly an alliance instead. As was pointed out by your readers, you can earn DL or AA MQMs flying AS metal (or vice-versa) so it can make perfect sense to choose AS as your elite program, or fly AS if you want DL or AA MQMs. Similarly, in your prior post about the AS program your readers pointed out many oversights which again comes back what ma91pmh said re. blogging about golf or asian tigers - don't blog about things you're less than knowledgeable about. My apologies for using a synonym to describe that.

Last edited by HikerT; Feb 29, 2012 at 9:56 pm
Old Mar 9, 2012, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone scroll through the blogs today from BoardingArea?

AA 2012 Elite rewards seem to be getting quite some placement. Ridiculous.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 6:21 pm

Too many cooks...
Old Mar 9, 2012, 6:56 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by josephstern
Anyone scroll through the blogs today from BoardingArea?

AA 2012 Elite rewards seem to be getting quite some placement. Ridiculous.
Well, it was a slow day for new offers. The only think I could find worth mentioning was the answers to the Audience Rewards - Starwood trivia questions.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:05 pm

Quality over quantity again. If there's nothing to blog about, don't blog. Please.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:11 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Quality over quantity again. If there's nothing to blog about, don't blog. Please.
I don't think that's possible any longer. It's obvious the miles blogging competition has gotten so heated out there that now they all feel they have to keep up with one another and add something at least once a day (and most are even upping the ante from there) regardless of whether they really have anything worth saying or not. Just throw something on there to show you're as active as the other guy. Bad news for readers as it just means we have to wade through a lot of fluff and fill to get that occasional piece of meat.
But I have to admit, those blogs still have (so far) far less useless material to wade through than here on FT!
Old Mar 10, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: many
I think you meant it the other way around, quantity over quality I believe?

It is quite obvious that I have no formal training in English diction, sentence structure, or any higher level of writing. What is unbelieveable and comical is half these guys even make an income with their level of writing skills.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 6:14 am

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, I meant they SHOULD be doing quality instead of quantity.

Another thing that really irks me with certain blogs that shall not be named is that when they are inevitably trying to promote a credit card, rather than linking to a page explaining the benefits of the card, they make a link directly to their referral. This is no different from panhandling- whereas if you provided an analysis for each card and their pros and cons, and linked to that page every time you wanted to talk about said card (rather than directly to the referral link)...
Old Mar 10, 2012, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most

Another thing that really irks me with certain blogs that shall not be named is that when they are inevitably trying to promote a credit card, rather than linking to a page explaining the benefits of the card, they make a link directly to their referral. This is no different from panhandling- whereas if you provided an analysis for each card and their pros and cons, and linked to that page every time you wanted to talk about said card (rather than directly to the referral link)...
What's the difference? 99% off the blogs are doing nothing else than lifting content from FT and branding it as if they would be doing it themselves.

Most of these "travel" blogs are nothing more than venues for promoting cc's that the "bloggers" get paid referral money.

This includes all the BoredArea blogs and thepointsdumb.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 6:31 am

I find Lucky and Matthew to be refreshing as they do put their personal spin on these things. Things in the Sky by Dan Webb is also nice as it talks about the financial/operations side of airlines, something we rarely see (other than when it triggers a DEQM ). But most of the other BoardingArea blogs are mostly just referral link panhandling.

I also personally find blogs that end in "Guy" to be incredibly narcissistic, as with blog titles that imply one has insider information not available elsewhere...
Old Mar 10, 2012, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by holtju2
What's the difference? 99% off the blogs are doing nothing else than lifting content from FT and branding it as if they would be doing it themselves.

Most of these "travel" blogs are nothing more than venues for promoting cc's that the "bloggers" get paid referral money.

This includes all the BoredArea blogs and thepointsdumb.
Absolutely.

There's been a flood of blogs by people with a bare minimum of probably one or two airlines / FF programs that they are maxing out. Most of the content is puzzled together off Flyertalk and other sources mixed with ref-links and spiked stories how great the one or other credit card is.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 6:38 am

It does remind me of the "tragedy of the commons". Currently there are way too many cows...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.