Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:20 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
thanks

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
There were 12 bloggers in December 2007, 22 bloggers on BoardingArea nine months ago when you joined FT. Now there are 39.

Thanks for the WayBack machine

Last edited by ingy; Mar 11, 2012 at 7:38 pm
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:02 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
There were 12 bloggers in December 2007, 22 bloggers on BoardingArea nine months ago when you joined FT. Now there are 39.
I could be wrong, but if I recall correctly, www.boardingarea.com was officially launched back in August of 2006.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:15 pm

which travel bloggers don't push credit cards?

There are a few travel blogs I read regularly, but now that I'm actually going to pull the trigger on the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, I really don't want any referral bonus to go to the bloggers who are constantly writing about the benefits of this card, who are making their travel blogs credit card blogs.

I remember reading on FT about a blogger who actually said, okay, I'm not going to shove credit cards down your throats, but here's a referral link if you'd like to support me.

I'd like my referral bonus to go to that guy. I just can't remember who it is. Thoughts?

I get that the bloggers want to make money-and yes I know I read the blogs for free- but I think a lot of them are overly and probably even unconsciously excessively promoting credit cards that give them referral bonuses. I'd like any bonus to go to the blogger not pushing credit cards (especially the same one!) in every other post. They never seem to mention the pitfalls of the card-for example, the problems some people have with the Chase SP card's make and some machines not accepting it. Their blogs are significantly less because of it.

Last edited by artemis021; Mar 11, 2012 at 8:25 pm
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:28 pm

Gary Leff

It sounds like you're thinking of this post on View from the Wing.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Contrary to you, I want all bloggers to keep me updated on the single best way to get a large amount of miles/points for the least amount of work. And I want to be made aware on all updates. And I want them to keep on making money so they don't charge me to keep on making a living.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:22 pm

Frequent Miler

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...ral-backpedal/
Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:48 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Contrary to you, I want all bloggers to keep me updated on the single best way to get a large amount of miles/points for the least amount of work. And I want to be made aware on all updates. And I want them to keep on making money so they don't charge me to keep on making a living.
+1

Much of the best stuff is already on FT--but, I don't begrudge the folks who are even more obsessed than I am with their getting something I don't pay for from the banks. And, sometimes, I even learn from the bloggers.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
^^
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I chose the bog where I first heard about the Sapphire card, at least from what I could remember and he was upfront about making a referral bonus. It's not a big deal and like others have said you can learn something new every now and then for free...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:03 am

Matthew at UPGRD.com (MatthewLAX) has some really good/interesting content without all the credit card advertising nonsense the other "Guys" seem to love... If you are interested in using a referral link, I'd recommend Ben (One Mile at a Time), he has referral links without them dominating over genuine content, and has a very good tone of writing as well...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:17 am
Suspended

Programs: nice
Nice post thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by artemis021
There are a few travel blogs I read regularly, but now that I'm actually going to pull the trigger on the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, I really don't want any referral bonus to go to the bloggers who are constantly writing about the benefits of this card, who are making their travel blogs credit card blogs.

I remember reading on FT about a blogger who actually said, okay, I'm not going to shove credit cards down your throats, but here's a referral link if you'd like to support me.

I'd like my referral bonus to go to that guy. I just can't remember who it is. Thoughts?

I get that the bloggers want to make money-and yes I know I read the blogs for free- but I think a lot of them are overly and probably even unconsciously excessively promoting credit cards that give them referral bonuses. I'd like any bonus to go to the blogger not pushing credit cards (especially the same one!) in every other post. They never seem to mention the pitfalls of the card-for example, the problems some people have with the Chase SP card's make and some machines not accepting it. Their blogs are significantly less because of it.

If you read their blog and get information about the benefits of a card and you decide to apply for it, why don't you want them to get some credit? If you don't realize Credit Cards are where it's at to get points in 2012 and froward, I am sorry, you are just really not bright enough to be in the game.

This is not a communist country, capitalism works when reward is given for work done. We all benefit that way.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:22 am

Because using their referral link will only encourage them to continue polluting their content with blatant advertising helpful credit card information...

Referrals should be a reward for writing a quality blog, not because you link to it incessantly, through banner ads as well as in the middle of unrelated posts...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Because using their referral link will only encourage them to continue polluting their content with blatant advertising helpful credit card information...

Referrals should be a reward for writing a quality blog, not because you link to it incessantly, through banner ads as well as in the middle of unrelated posts...
Which you rather they charge you a monthly fee for all that useful information you get for free? If you don't want to use there link goto Google! You have a computer don't you? But just blame yourself when your link give you 25K points rather than 50K points described in the blog. But it's worth it because you kept the blogger from getting credit!

I am honestly very sick of the entitled , get something for nothing welfare attitude of many people.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by HikerT
Agreed, he'll get my referrals too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.