Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Well, when a journalist writes something he fact checks before its added to an article. See how Scott from the WSJ heard about the mint story on SMD1 and months later managed to pull all the strings together before breaking the news. A blogger could have had the liberty to publish it instantly without giving it much thought, since its (just) a web log of his thoughts.
Anyone can publish anything immediately without checking the facts. Those who do so frequently are generally quickly discredited as useless hacks and ignored. It doesn't take several months of research and fact checking to understand the US Mint story.

And saying that blog posts are necessarily not fact checked is a disservice to the people who actually do verify the information before publishing.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
Although I read a few of the blogs, overall, I get the most value from this forum, FlyerTalk.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, BA, HH, IHG
I don't have problems with the credit card links so much as with the touting of the Chicago Seminars and other large meet-ups. In the blogs, you are told that if you want to learn techniques and secrets that aren't discussed in blogs and on FT, that you need to come to the seminars to learn all the secrets. NOT TRUE!

As a fledgling miles hoarder/cc churner back in early 2011, I eagerly read all the major blogs. FTG had been blogging for several years, TPG had just quit his corporate job to blog full-time, and MMS was hitting the ground running with his new blog. They all said that it was a REALLY GOOD IDEA to come to the Chicago Seminars to learn all the "trade secrets." Well, imagine my dismay when there was a crew from "Nightline" was there to film Rick during his presentation. It was then and there that I realized that the purpose of these seminars is to promote the bloggers' brands.

I had fun at the seminar but absolutely did not learn anything new other that what I had already picked up on FT. To suggest otherwise is really misleading and self-serving.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by sbm12
It doesn't take several months of research and fact checking to understand the US Mint story.
OK, probably Scott had better things to do, so it took a bit longer

And saying that blog posts are necessarily not fact checked is a disservice to the people who actually do verify the information before publishing.
When I read a piece in the NY Times or WSJ I can (probably) blindly assume that even breaking news has been fact checked. For a random blog, especially one that doesn't claim anything in particular, how am I to assume anything wrt authenticity or thoroughness?

In Germany we have a case in point with the official Spiegel Magazine (well respected news insitution) and their loosely edited SPON: an online agglomeration of anything their interns or upcoming journos dream up each day. Sometime the articles in the latter are utter BS and could have been fact checked with Google

One advantage of the loosely authentic blogging is the fact that news can travel fast. I love to read Leeham News, which pointed out quite a few nice insights in the 787 mess of the last few weeks @:-)
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:21 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by guera
I don't have problems with the credit card links so much as with the touting of the Chicago Seminars and other large meet-ups. In the blogs, you are told that if you want to learn techniques and secrets that aren't discussed in blogs and on FT, that you need to come to the seminars to learn all the secrets. NOT TRUE!

As a fledgling miles hoarder/cc churner back in early 2011, I eagerly read all the major blogs. FTG had been blogging for several years, TPG had just quit his corporate job to blog full-time, and MMS was hitting the ground running with his new blog. They all said that it was a REALLY GOOD IDEA to come to the Chicago Seminars to learn all the "trade secrets." Well, imagine my dismay when there was a crew from "Nightline" was there to film Rick during his presentation. It was then and there that I realized that the purpose of these seminars is to promote the bloggers' brands.

I had fun at the seminar but absolutely did not learn anything new other that what I had already picked up on FT. To suggest otherwise is really misleading and self-serving.
Ah, but they are not targeting people like who you are today. They are targeting people like who you were in early 2011. There are thousands if not millions more suckers out there willing to pay for something there that is otherwise free here. @:-)

It's like this guy:

offering to let you pay for the information that is otherwise on offer for free! @:-)

Wikipedia is telling on the matter:

In 2005, Lesko was named #99 in Bernard Goldberg's book 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America because, "He is a symbol for self-centered free-riders."[5]

In an interview with the Washington Post in July 2007, Lesko admitted having assembled his books from government guides to grants and loans: "His business model is simple: 'I get stuff for free and I sell it for as much as I can get.'"[6]
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Ok, I got a PM from moderator that I need to use the quote function! I know how to do it when I want to quote ONE post. But how do you quote several posts in ONE post? This is why I preferred doing it my way by adding >>>> in front of the quotes.

I should know this by now. And I should finally do an "About Me" page in my blog. Bear with me, I am slow
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Ok, I got a PM from moderator that I need to use the quote function! I know how to do it when I want to quote ONE post. But how do you quote several posts in ONE post? This is why I preferred doing it my way by adding >>>> in front of the quotes.

I should know this by now. And I should finally do an "About Me" page in my blog. Bear with me, I am slow
Its pretty easy: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...lti-quote.html

I've been itching to tell you too...
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:44 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by kokonutz
So my deja vu continues: the bloggers are like the formerly homeless people you see in airline terminals hawking airline-branded credit cards. I can only assume they are working on commission?

And the USAir flight attendants who hawk the 40k mile USAir Visa 'in-flight-only offer' who I assume also get a bounty for sign-ups?

EVERYwhere I look, people are pumping credit cards!

On one blog (VFtW) that I have feed to my the face book wall's last three blog posts: two promoting credit card offers and one advertising a commercial venture he is affiliated with. It's like reading QVC!
I am told that those two credit card blog posts to which I refer were not affiliate links. ^

And my suggestion is better transparency as to when a link is an affiliate link and when it is not, lest folks assume it's all just so much spam. @:-)
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
Originally Posted by oliver2002
If people are so stupid to click on ads and trust what is supposedly offered to them, then thats life.
Its not about that silly. People are not stupid but easily irritated with stuff some bloggers do. Lets compare apples and galoshes again and talk about product placement and 9 ref links in 20 word sentence. So Im watching Law and Order and here come Olivia Benson with cup of Starbucks coffee. Im OK with this so far. Stabler standing there reading new rape kit results when he hears "Hey, Stabler, do you know that when you drink coffee its best with skim milk by "Brand one", "Brand two", "Brand three"... "Screw this Olivia, lets look over these results".. "Hold on Elliot. Did you know that with whole milk you better use "Brand one", "Brand two", "Brand three"...
Now tell me its any different than latest post on my favorite link farm?

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/03/remi...res-starbucks/

or this one

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/03/maxi...cts-and-myths/

How many times do you have to re-write "maximize chase ink" topic? Sheees..
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by fishdance
Did you learn anything new from this article (or the rental car one)?

Yes, I know these topics has been covered (and will be covered again), but my personal goal was to introduce some new and helpful information and present it all in one place (I know that others may have covered some of it before in various places). Ink is a great card that I would use if I never wrote a word about it. Certainly when I researched this information, I was glad I did so, if only as an Ink user and car renter myself, let alone a blogger.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fishdance
Originally Posted by JSteele
Did you learn anything new from this article (or the rental car one)?
There is more to it than that. I can learn "anything new" lots of places.

It takes balance to be able to present the information where the consumer feels like they're getting good information and, at the same time, not being force-fed marketing. Similarly, there is a balance on the part of the producer to generate revenue and not introduce fatigue in the readers.

Could the reader have learned a comparable amount with half the number of links? Would the publisher realize the same yields? My guess is yes to both of those, though I don't have the data to prove it.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Great, another article on the super duper Ink cards
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:39 pm

It's only a matter of time before they start analysing the colours, texture and design of the actual card...
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
It's only a matter of time before they start analysing the colours, texture and design of the actual card...
Go to the thread in FT's credit card program on the JPMorgan Palladium card where many posts were devoted to guessing exactly how much palladium was actually in the card (and yes, there is real Palladium in the card, my card even says so )

I'm sure there were numerous blog posts about this as well.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

The line between journalist and blogger is blurring
In many cases, yes, and this can be a problem for some bloggers because they are not granted the same protections that journalists get WRT protecting sources and other freedom of the press rights.

This is not a U.S.-only issue by the way. To wit, a decision issued by the Euroepan Court of Human Rights wrote: "Protection of journalistic sources is one of the basic conditions for press freedom ... "

But freedom of the press does not easily translate over to freedom of the blog. My friend Declan wrote about this back in 2005, incidentally.

I've gotten sidetracked. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.