Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I just deleted a few Off Topic posts. Let's try to stay On Topic to make the thread more meaningful and easier to search.

Happy New Year to all and may 2013 be a HUGE year for the accumulation of miles & points.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by philemer

Happy New Year to all and may 2013 be a HUGE year for the accumulation of miles & points.
AMEN to that!!!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
My blog will be the most useful. And it won't have much of anything to do with points.

AZTravelGuy for the win!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:38 pm

I didn't read this entire thread but to answer the original question, here's my two cents:

Best blogs to get general info: One Mile at a Time and View from the Wing.
Best blog for beginners/noobs: MMS (and I'm trying to focus mine on that a bit also, but not in a deal-killing type way).
Best blog for creative point earning: Frequent Miler.
Best blog for travel hacking: Hack My Trip.
Best blogs for consolidating all the other blogs: Mileage Update (links to new posts on various topics), Travel Blogger Buzz (funny commentary), Travel Summary (just the important updates that day), and Street Smart Traveler (new and covers various topics).

There are other, niche ones depending on what you're interested in of course. Can't beat FT for all the other topics that aren't discussed in blogs.

Last edited by TravelSummary; Jan 2, 2013 at 1:42 am Reason: Remove link to own blog
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: No preference
I'm thinking of starting a mailed circular that I print in my basement. I'll pay the usps for route deliveries and hopefully gain some readership that way. Thoughts?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:50 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
I'm thinking of starting a mailed circular that I print in my basement. I'll pay the usps for route deliveries and hopefully gain some readership that way. Thoughts?
That is similar to how the predecessor to FlyerTalk was started almost 27 years ago.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by TravelSummary
Best blogs for consolidating all the other blogs: Mileage Update (links to new points on various topics), Travel Blogger Buzz (funny commentary), Travel Summary (just the important updates that day), and Street Smart Traveler (new and covers various topics).
Thanks for the shout out. We are tweaking some things and hope to dig out more FF earning strategies in the near future.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by MileageUpdate
Thanks for the shout out. We are tweaking some things and hope to dig out more FF earning strategies in the near future.
Oops, just realized that "new points" should read "new posts." I'll make the edit!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by Canarsie
That is similar to how the predecessor to FlyerTalk was started almost 27 years ago.
I was joking, but thanks for that fact. Didn't know that.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:11 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
I was joking, but thanks for that fact. Didn't know that.
It is true.

Randy Petersen — the founder of FlyerTalk — was working in a retail store in New York. He was constantly asked by peers, colleagues, family and friends about how to best earn and use miles and points for travel.

One day in 1986, he decided to take a chance, quit his job and launch a one-page newsletter where he clipped articles and pasted them onto a piece of paper, copied it and distributed it. This was the launch of his career in travel, which ultimately led to the launch of FlyerTalk.

Randy Petersen has told me this story more than once in person, but I do not recall whether or not he actually posted it on FlyerTalk. I will alert him to correct me if I am wrong — or to elaborate if anyone is interested...
Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: SPG, HHonors
Seems like he could have put together a one-page newsletter without quitting his job. What an odd move, adding lots more potential and unnecessary risk to the situation.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by elBulli
Seems like he could have put together a one-page newsletter without quitting his job. What an odd move, adding lots more potential and unnecessary risk to the situation.
It was a daily newsletter in 1986. No simple World Wide Web for posting and distribution. When Canarsie talks of distribution of a daily newsletter, I suspect that the putting together was simple--getting into the hands of his potential readers was complicated and time consuming in comparison in those days, thus requiring him to focus solely on the newsletter.

And, of course, the risk paid off very handsomely. . .
Old Jan 5, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
It was a daily newsletter in 1986. No simple World Wide Web for posting and distribution. When Canarsie talks of distribution of a daily newsletter, I suspect that the putting together was simple--getting into the hands of his potential readers was complicated and time consuming in comparison in those days, thus requiring him to focus solely on the newsletter.

And, of course, the risk paid off very handsomely. . .
Indeed. IIRC from his talk at the Chicago Seminar the year before last, he, among other things, went out to the local airport(s) (NYC area I think?) and approached people in person with samples and to solicit subscriptions. Couple that with the literal cutting and pasting, and that's a lot of time spent!

Randy actually went through the whole timeline through to the start of FT and it was very interesting and inspiring, I thought.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:00 pm

I am giving milevalue my vote. The most comprehensive information and some really great tricks
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm confused about these blogs. Whenever I look at them, which admittedly isn't very often, it seems like they just lift material from here and compile the interesting bits into a few stories with copious amounts of credit card links scattered over the page. As I'd imagine their main clientele are also Flyertalk readers I just don't see what the value is? Can someone please explain this to me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.