Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by mnscout
You're right. That is just more blogger-bashing. What many of you fail to understand is that written T&C mean a lot to anyone who is not a mile-addicted junkie like us. A "normal" person won't touch our favorite US AIR card because it states explicitly that non-elites aren't eligible, and it doesn't matter how often you tell people it's OK. They won't touch the 50K Citi Hilton because it doesn't state the bonus. I've been criticized for "pushing" Citi AA advantage cards in my book. I once received an e-mail, in which the person accused me of lying about Citi AA 50K offer, and then bragged about getting a 30K AA bonus and how he was proud that he didn't have to "violate" the Citi terms.
Yes, that 'could' be an issue, but MV never mentioned T&C issues before, and more importantly, he used to use the good US link (and in fact, it's still linked from several of his pages, presumably overlooked). It's only after the affiliate link came out that the "T&C-violating" links changed -- and again, the switch was never mentioned or discussed.

Now, I will give this qualification. In my opinion, a blogger owes it to their readership to at least mention a better offer and let his readers decide. If Milesvalue doesn't do that, it's wrong. On the other hand, MMS does it unfailingly, and yet many folks from this thread hate him still. Go figure!
This obviously isn't the only issue that people have with bloggers, so saying that MMS doesn't do it but still isn't universally liked doesn't really mean much. I commend MMS, TPG, and the rest for at least giving a choice of links -- on this particular issue, I basically take issue only with MV for completely ignoring the better link and FTG for strongly implying that his affiliate link is the same offer. Most of the other big guys are honest on this one.

I'm sorry, but a lot of you, guys, are out of touch with reality. Bloggers, with very few exceptions, do not write for the FT crowd. Just because there are so many of us here on FT, it doesn't change the fact that our number is tiny--just a drop in a faucet if you will.
The fact that bloggers are targeting 'the public' instead of FTers is part of the problem -- bloggers who ignore better offers in favor of their affiliate links know that newbies will click them, simply because they don't know any better. FTers know about the better links and aren't going to use those affiliate links. That still doesn't make it right to exploit the ignorance of the masses. At least be honest that one link supports the blog while another one doesn't. I'm sure plenty of people would still choose to support the blogs giving them info.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:07 am

mnscout, did you even read what you quoted, or was it just a knee jerk response?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HikerT
mnscout, did you even read what you quoted, or was it just a knee jerk response?
Well, I've been known for jerking my knees after getting hit by a hummer, but I've always thought it's perfectly natural. Do elaborate, which part of my response makes you think I didn't?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 2:50 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
I may regret this but

if one accountant charges $200 to file your short form tax return and another only charges $175, is it the responsibility of the one charging $200 to tell you of the better deal?

What if they both charged $200 but one was giving away a free toaster (or 10k anniversary miles). Is the non toaster accountant obligated to inform his customers of the better deal?

I don't think so in either case. The accountants set their own prices and policies and it is buyer beware in both cases.

Our capitalistic society is based on competition, marketing skills, customer referrals and competitive pricing. If blog A treats you better than blog B, go to blog A, or in this case, where affiliate or non affiliate links are involved, and you are not paying the blogger in either instance, it is still your call as the consumer.

"Buyer Beware" and assume some personal accountability.

Flame away
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
if one accountant charges $200 to file your short form tax return and another only charges $175, is it the responsibility of the one charging $200 to tell you of the better deal?

What if they both charged $200 but one was giving away a free toaster (or 10k anniversary miles). Is the non toaster accountant obligated to inform his customers of the better deal?

I don't think so in either case. The accountants set their own prices and policies and it is buyer beware in both cases.

Our capitalistic society is based on competition, marketing skills, customer referrals and competitive pricing. If blog A treats you better than blog B, go to blog A, or in this case, where affiliate or non affiliate links are involved, and you are not paying the blogger in either instance, it is still your call as the consumer.

Flame away
So I get the $50 gift card?

So it is all about the money, right? Make as much as you can on the backs of suckers who don't know any better. That's fine if it's how you want to roll, but then lose your whole altruistic bs about trying to help ppl.

There's a lot more ambiguity about cash going to the bloggers then when you write a check to the tax preparer. And there's a lot more disclosure on their part then yours.

I'm claiming that GC btw. You pledged it after all
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:00 pm

Flame away
[Personal attack removed]

FTG, just admitted to deceiving readers by this post

Last edited by philemer; Feb 9, 2013 at 3:53 pm Reason: TOS violation
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
Quoted for posterity.

Flame away
Wow, I have been a defender of the blogs on some threads. But Frugal Travel Guy says that you should approach his blog as buyer beware rather than as a trustworthy source.

Is that Internet Brands' position as well?

I guess I actually agree with him, though, in his examples. I don't think a store is obligated to tell its customers about better deals elsewhere unless they advertise that it's part of their service ("you can shop here with confidence because we will always find you the best deal").

Some bloggers say that's what they do, and so they should be called out when they fail to live up to that standard.

To me, though, blogs that purport to offer expert advice on the best course of action to improve travel are implying that readers are getting... the best possible advice. Not a late night infomercial.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Making a profit and breathing air is about the same in my book,

I look at them all, and take what I can use.

Glad they are all there....

Nice to see them in Chicago, hope they all come back next year...including guy in the bright shirt..
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:13 pm

If the guy charging $200 made a song-and-dance promise to always charge the lowest price, then knowingly didn't do so, that's dishonest. The rest of your post seems to imply that dishonesty like that can get you ahead in business. I don't doubt that can be true. I also think that almost everyone wants to avoid people like that in life.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by freeloader
So it is all about the money, right? Make as much as you can on the backs of suckers who don't know any better. That's fine if it's how you want to roll, but then lose your whole altruistic bs about trying to help ppl.

There's a lot more ambiguity about cash going to the bloggers then when you write a check to the tax preparer. And there's a lot more disclosure on their part then yours.
Of course it's ALL about the money. The rest is just happy-talk blather to justify the money grab. There are plenty of nitwits who are oblivious and bloggers prey on them. Sheep are there to be fleeced, aren't they?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:41 pm

not what i said.

Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
Quoted for posterity.

Wow, I have been a defender of the blogs on some threads. But Frugal Travel Guy says that you should approach his blog as buyer beware rather than as a trustworthy source.

Is that Internet Brands' position as well?

I guess I actually agree with him, though, in his examples. I don't think a store is obligated to tell its customers about better deals elsewhere unless they advertise that it's part of their service ("you can shop here with confidence because we will always find you the best deal").

Some bloggers say that's what they do, and so they should be called out when they fail to live up to that standard.

To me, though, blogs that purport to offer expert advice on the best course of action to improve travel are implying that readers are getting... the best possible advice. Not a late night infomercial.
please try to handle the topic in a philosophical context instead of continuing with the constant non stop blog bashing. I never said treat my blog as buyer beware, I think we should treat every transaction regardless if it is a car salesman, attorney, doctor, Blogger or retailer.

I'm trying to engage in a civilized discussion here if at all possible. let me try a different way. If I told you to lay down in the middle of the freeway, as an expert in traffic patterns, would you do it?

Where does your personal accountability begin. What is YOUR part, not mine in the transaction? And you are not paying me.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
please try to handle the topic in a philosophical context instead of continuing with the constant non stop blog bashing. I never said treat my blog as buyer beware, I think we should treat every transaction regardless if it is a car salesman, attorney, doctor, Blogger or retailer.

I'm trying to engage in a civilized discussion here if at all possible. let me try a different way. If I told you to lay down in the middle of the freeway, as an expert in traffic patterns, would you do it?

Where does your personal accountability begin. What is YOUR part, not mine in the transaction? And you are not paying me.
Considering you do a terrible job of disclosing which links you get paid on, where is your accountability? On your email blasts you never mention you have a financial interest in the links you peddle
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:02 pm

Where is your accountability?

Originally Posted by freeloader
Considering you do a terrible job of disclosing which links you get paid on, where is your accountability? On your email blasts you never mention you have a financial interest in the links you peddle
I'm asking you nicely one more time, not about my accountability, Im asking somebody on the blog bashing side to step up to a reasonable discussion about what your responsibilities are as the consumer?

You'll note that the current blog practices are not changing. I can tell you the none of this went on when I started affiliate links in about 2009. I can also tell you it began after the onslaught of bloggers got links in October of 2011. You'll note that few if any other bloggers will even come in these threads as they have given up trying to have the discussion.

Will there ever be someone willing from the bashing side to accept what the consumers responsibility is. Somebody please step up in this thread. maybe the blog bashers can come up with code of conduct they would like to see? I'm not sure that would work as each blogger plays by his own rules. Does anybody after the now, two years of this, want to try, or just keep pointing the finger?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite

Flame away
Those aren't good analogies and don't address the complaints being raised, IMHO. A broker might be a closer analogy.

Bloggers (the CC-hawking ones, that is) are holding themselves out as experts and advisers as to myriad types of travel programs and corresponding cards. They write posts about all the great and wonderful things one can do with XXX program, and oh by the way, I happen to have a link to sign up for XXX program's credit card. Some have a "best cards" type of section purporting to list the best cards for whatever category or partner.

What upsets people is when a blogger (and I'm speaking generically, I have no idea what's currently on your site, Rick) knowingly ignores the fact that there is a non-affiliate link to a better version of the same card. And especially when that fact has been pointed out publicly to the blogger - whether in comments, on a forum, or whatever. Yet the blogger continues to imply his affiliate link offer is the best, or only, available.

Is it possible some less-visited blog sites just aren't aware of a better offer? Sure. Though that lessens the person's credibility as an expert.

It's always best to be an educated consumer, I agree. But businesses shouldn't be surprised when consumers call out businesses who offer lesser deals, have misleading advertisements, and such.

No, blog readers aren't directly paying bloggers - but being swayed to apply through an affiliate link to a card with lower bonuses, etc. does cost that individual.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:15 pm

i think the problem of many bloggers is the recurrent theme of bait and switch. you have a rookie blogger, who comes into a crowded market, and rises above others by promising to help the masses for free. He carries through with his promises initially, and attracts a loyal fan base. Then, instead of being just a hobby, it becomes a full time gig. He is enticed by affiliate links and signs on, promising that he will always be fair w/ promoting deals. Then temptation and practicality of running a business set in. Then you start seeing nothing more than posting for the sake of generating hits. The followers start going to other places. The followers start posting on this thread. The end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.