Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Why doesn't each and every lazy-assed complainer on here who makes jabs at bloggers start up their own alternative and show how it should be done?

No takers? ... No? I don't see the new blogs setup by those folks who say it's so easy to do. Lots of "talk". No action.
You been living under a rock. Where do you think all the real deals are talked about?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by QL_714
You been living under a rock. Where do you think all the real deals are talked about?
Well we all know that only you know all the real deals.

Oh wait so why do you get so upset when bloggers talk about the "crumbs off your table"?

Good luck with that blog you've mentioned you are starting at least a dozen times.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
1. I don't own the blog and don't need the money.

2. I would gladly put up my 11 plus years of membership and contributions to this, community against your short term newbie status.

3. as your attitude does not appear in the spirit of the civil discussion of the topic at hand, i personally will disregard your thoughts about my intentions to participate in this discussion.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how whether you "need" the money, you're "11 plus years of contributions" or my attitude as judged by you is anything but a non-sequitur to the questions posed.

As I haven't read every post in this thread, maybe I missed where someone accused you of "needing" the money. Feel free to point me in that direction or elaborate on why it's at all relevant
Old Feb 10, 2013, 5:57 pm

to suggest again that more will be accomplished by a serious discussion of the issues than bashing bloggers.
From anecdotal evidence, I would surmise that this "serious discussion" is only the optimal solution when censoring the discussion altogether isn't an option.

"Anecdotal evidence" being you always wanting to have this discussion on TBB or FT, but if a similar question is posed on your blog, it wouldn't make it through the filters.

$50 Marriott
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:18 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by the hotel bar
From anecdotal evidence, I would surmise that this "serious discussion" is only the optimal solution when censoring the discussion altogether isn't an option.

"Anecdotal evidence" being you always wanting to have this discussion on TBB or FT, but if a similar question is posed on your blog, it wouldn't make it through the filters.

$50 Marriott
There is no need to censor the discussion on any forum or blog, as long as it is civil which seems to be a bit of a problem area for some. Blog bashing and hateful comments are a legitimate reason to delete comments on FTG. Of course if you or any other had there own blog, then you could make your own decisions.

You have again made assumptions without substantiated fact. But of course coming to FTG would require you to register as we have found from experience that anonymous comments tend to be derogatory in nature as people can hide behind anonymity.

I supported George';s right to blog and would you as well if you decide to start one. I objected not to his blog, but to his supporting derogatory comments and actually enflaming the issue with "rants". It worked for George to increase readership and find a place for the blog bashers to congregate. Unfortunately, it did nothing to resolve the issues between bloggers and readers unhappy with the blogs. I know George has much more to offer and hopefully in his weekly posts, will take a more positive approach.

As several previous posters have mentioned unfortunately, their is a segment of the population that only seems to possess that one social skill of slamming, blaming and bashing, and neglects the much more effective, civil discussion of issues.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:46 pm

There is no need to censor the discussion on any forum or blog, as long as it is civil which seems to be a bit of a problem area for some.
Agree, I just wish you would practice what you preach

If someone is slinging personal attacks (like that Frank guy on Lucky's blog).... should be deleted

You're blog censors just about anything that disagrees or questions anything you posts. Just in the past few weeks, I've had multiple deleted comments solely for asking how you arrived at the valuation of your churning challenge "total trip costs" (i.e. how did this weeks get a value of $5300+?).

And the ones that do make it through go unreplied unless they praise you or ask CC advice

Another great thing about Gary, Lucky, FM, TBB, heck even TPG (for all his faults)..... they respond to comments even that are critical or disagreeing
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:59 pm

Let me try one last time

Originally Posted by the hotel bar
Agree, I just wish you would practice what you preach

If someone is slinging personal attacks (like that Frank guy on Lucky's blog).... should be deleted

You're blog censors just about anything that disagrees or questions anything you posts. Just in the past few weeks, I've had multiple deleted comments solely for asking how you arrived at the valuation of your churning challenge "total trip costs" (i.e. how did this weeks get a value of $5300+?).

And the ones that do make it through go unreplied unless they praise you or ask CC advice

Another great thing about Gary, Lucky, FM, TBB, heck even TPG (for all his faults)..... they respond to comments even that are critical or disagreeing
It is so hard to continue this conversation with the constant lack of understanding on the part of this segment of the population. YOur comment this week was deleted based on the tone of your remarks and bashing not the questioning of the numbers. When you learn the social skill of asking questions in a civilized, instead of hostile manner, Jeremy who writes the churning challenges will gladly answer your questions and respond to your comments. Until that time, we will continue to delete comments presented in that fashion. Our blog, Our Rules. If you don't like them or are unable to ask in a civilized manner please refrain from posting comments as it seems to be a waste of our time and yours.

I won't respond to your next post, giving you the last word and allowing the rest of the group to take away from our discussion what they will. It is going nowherer fast.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: All of the Above
FTG, were you responding to me? I thought my comments were civil, but to the point.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by mnscout
Well, I'm sorry, but I just have to ask this. What's stopping you?

Why not start your own seminars, where blogger-bashers could get together and have some fun? I mean what can be easier--find the venue, book it in advance (don't know if one has to pay a deposit but I'm almost certain they do); then organize the events, coordinate everything, market and advertise, and most importantly don't forget to cross your fingers every day that your efforts will bring in enough people to cover the costs and leave you with something extra. I mean, seriously, it is so easy, right? Just like running a blog.
You seem to be using the term "blogger bashers" to encompass those who speak out about affiliate link worst practices. It really doesn't make sense to put together a separate seminar to talk about that particular issue for those who are already aware of the issue. This leaves the fox guarding the hen house at the seminars, and I really doubt the bloggers organizing these events, some of which are the worst offenders, would ever hold each other accountable. That pretty much leaves the responsibility to those of us willing to speak out here and elsewhere when we see the worst practices occur.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 7:07 pm

YOur comment this week was deleted based on the tone of your remarks and bashing not the questioning of the numbers. .
LOL
Old Feb 10, 2013, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
You seem to be using the term "blogger bashers" to encompass those who speak out about affiliate link worst practices. It really doesn't make sense to put together a separate seminar to talk about that particular issue for those who are already aware of the issue. This leaves the fox guarding the hen house at the seminars, and I really doubt the bloggers organizing these events, some of which are the worst offenders, would ever hold each other accountable. That pretty much leaves the responsibility to those of us willing to speak out here and elsewhere when we see the worst practices occur.
You know you have a good point and idea. Although I can't hold other bloggers accountable, I do have the opportunity in Chicago in October to talk face to face with newbies in a seminar about the issue of affiliate links and blogger practices. If you would like to work with me on the quidelines of such a presentation, I'd be glad to have the discussion.

Can you send me a PM with the issues you think should be discussed?

Rick
Old Feb 10, 2013, 7:21 pm

In fact as one of the most vocal about the issue, if you would like to write a post for the blog discussing the issue in a civilized manner, I will present it to IB for inclusion.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:11 pm

Appreciate the offer. I'd be more inclined to collaborate on a seminar presentation. Will decline the guest blog post on principle - what constitutes a civil discussion can be highly subjective (see post 1360 above) and I prefer open forums.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:38 pm

Appreciate the offer. I'd be more inclined to collaborate on a seminar presentation. Will decline the guest blog post on principle - what constitutes a civil discussion can be highly subjective (see post 1360 above) and I prefer open forums.
in reference to post 1360 above, three of us individually saw the comments on the churning challenge and all agreed they were out of line and served no constructive purpose. I will make sure that if questions are asked about how we calculate the challenge in a civil manner, this next week, they will be answered. They is obviously to most, nothing to hide.

Civil discussion would not include calling out individual bloggers by name.

it would include stating the practices you think are best for the members of our community regarding the issues of:

How bloggers are compensated and a caution about the influence of said compensation on blogger recommendations
What you think are reasonable disclosure practices.
Affiliate vs non affiliate links, how to determine the better offer
Hat tipping if you are so inclined
Did I miss anything?

Kind of surprised you don't want the opportunity for the good of the community? You'll reach infinitely more people with a post rather than help developing content for a seminar presentation, but that offer is still open if you want it.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: SQ
We should edit the title of the thread to 'What is the least useful frequent flyer blog?'

That would be more enjoyable to read. We could post links to all the useless stuff that bloggers throw at us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.