Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
Jefferson's Presidential Select 18

Found these two bottles yesterday dusted up and hidden in the wine room of a small shop. Had to pick them both up for the retirement collection.

Both batch 9. Can't wait to try them.

Bonus points if someone can guess the brand of hotel I am in.

Last edited by guller; Nov 9, 2013 at 6:20 pm
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:05 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I've fallen into some good stuff...
Elijah Craig 21.. very nice

Willet 8.. I prefer the 18 and 21 but it's grown on me

Evan William 23.. HAven't tried it yet.. had to get it sourced from the UK....

I might have a bottle of Michters 20 coming my way...

FDW
Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Similar to the "Who Owns Your Beer", we have the whiskey/bourbon "Family Tree"

http://www.gq.com/life/food/201311/b...ter_gqmagazine
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I'm a confirmed Scotch drinker, but Chestnut Farms Bourbon may make a convert out of me.

Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:21 am

When I'm out I usually order Basil Hayden. My current bottle at home is
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:48 pm

I bought a couple bottles of 20 yr Hirsch at the bar a couple years back and it was terrible. I ended up dumping them in Manhattans and the customers thought I was doing them a favor (OK w/enough vermouth). Honestly, I can't think of another Bourbon aged > 18 years that I didn't like.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:33 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by DetailsIM
When I'm out I usually order Basil Hayden. My current bottle at home is
The bottle of Hirsch I bought a month ago was basically undrinkable. I poured it down the drain.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
http://www.catedraldowhisky.com.br/

Here is the greatest collection of whisky ever. If you click on the 1 or 2 in the header you can then click on the white circles on the ground to zoom in on the labels. Just an amazing collection.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Had Makers 46 recently -very nice indeed.

Worst is Kessler
Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:47 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
^ lol

Every flying squadron should have some...
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:45 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I'm a scotch drinker and haven't had much exposure to bourbon. I usually have a bottle of Maker's Mark in my liquor cabinet as a standby. Although this may seem a bit blasphemous, for making a good traditional eggnog (with raw eggs and such,) what are the recommendations?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Worst: somebody brought me a bottle of Black Eagle Honey bourbon that I swear had the bouquet of urinal disinfectant. It was terrible.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by roknroll
Had a great bourbon in Denver at the Hyatt Regency but need to dig up the name. It was a local one and a little on the sweeter side. I wrote down the name but can't seem to find it. Going to try to track it down.

Edit... Think it was Breckenridge Distillery.
They now distribute to 39 states (including California). My FIL and I took their tour over the weekend, and it was great. And they are extremely generous with their samples.

Sadly, they can no longer call themselves the world's highest distillery. That honor now goes to Two Guns Distillery in Leadville, CO (which we visited earlier in the afternoon ).
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Not sure if everyone here heard the news, but Suntory of Japan is buying out Jim Beam and all it's brands of Bourbon. I'm guessing all the other Bourbon makers are thrilled about this. One reason is that it eliminates Jim Beam from the market, at least in the eyes of some people. And the other reason is that maybe someone will come buy them out someday.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:49 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stimpy
Not sure if everyone here heard the news, but Suntory of Japan is buying out Jim Beam and all it's brands of Bourbon. I'm guessing all the other Bourbon makers are thrilled about this. One reason is that it eliminates Jim Beam from the market, at least in the eyes of some people. And the other reason is that maybe someone will come buy them out someday.
Suntory's got a great whisky making history and if the plow some money into Jim Beam, good things can be coming from there... Four Roses was bought by Kirin and they've got some fantastic products coming out.. I cannot wait to get my hands on their 125 Edition Small Batch, which I had to buy overseas from England...

Bourbon is by definition an American products, regardless of who owns the company... it has to be made in America...

Just a FYI Wild Turkey is owned by the Italians, Bulleit by the Brits, Blanton's also by the Japanese... if you want to truly buy American your options are Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill, Woodford and WIllett I believe... but whisky isn't even an American drink... just perfected in America (flame suit on...)

FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.