Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2015, 4:19 am

Wow. I had no idea about this thread!
Shall we get this going again?

Curious what people are fizzing on this Christmas and NY eve?
Heathrow has been running Piper NV for £19,7 a bottle which is very good value for a decent Champagne and it speaks to me as it has a majority of Pinot Noir, which is my preference.
So been stocking up during each pass at LHR lately so it will last us through Christmas and will be the bubbly for the New Years seafood dinner.
Probably some Pol 2004 will be had also as it is exceptional value here in Sweden (£38 per bottle at the Monopoly)
Old Dec 24, 2015, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'll be drinking the excellent Burgundy version of Champagne aka Crémant.

http://www.vitteaut-alberti.fr/en/#/Accueil

Starting in a matter of hours!
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Duplicate
Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:39 am

I have a bottle of Ruinart that was given to my partner. I was going to take it to a Christmas dinner but he nixed that idea, so we're taking some cheap Costco Prosecco, still pretty good. For NY Eve we have an early dinner, and I'm hoping to pick up a bottle of Veuve Clicquot for that evening. Not sure how much he'll drink though, so it could be a waste. But we could always finish it on New Years Day by making mimosas. I think we will hang onto that Ruinart until sometime when we have a dinner party at home.

I've tried the expensive stuff but I'm still perfectly happy with Veuve Clicquot most of the time.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by zitsky
I have a bottle of Ruinart that was given to my partner. I was going to take it to a Christmas dinner but he nixed that idea, so we're taking some cheap Costco Prosecco, still pretty good. For NY Eve we have an early dinner, and I'm hoping to pick up a bottle of Veuve Clicquot for that evening. Not sure how much he'll drink though, so it could be a waste. But we could always finish it on New Years Day by making mimosas. I think we will hang onto that Ruinart until sometime when we have a dinner party at home.

I've tried the expensive stuff but I'm still perfectly happy with Veuve Clicquot most of the time.
Me too! My local Target had Veuve on sale for $30.99 a while back ($12 cheaper than Costco and most sales I've seen this Christmas) - I think I bought 14 bottles and took orders from friends. Plus an additional 5% off with my Red card.

My partner just texted me that his colleagues gave him two bottles of Piper demi-sec. Yay!
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Me too! My local Target had Veuve on sale for $30.99 a while back ($12 cheaper than Costco and most sales I've seen this Christmas) - I think I bought 14 bottles and took orders from friends. Plus an additional 5% off with my Red card.

My partner just texted me that his colleagues gave him two bottles of Piper demi-sec. Yay!
You're going straight to my Ignore list. I can't believe you wouldn't tell me about a sale that good!
Old Dec 24, 2015, 4:17 pm

You're going straight to my Ignore list. I can't believe you wouldn't tell me about a sale that good!
I posted it on another Champagne thread. However, I didn't realize it was only at my store until I told friends who found it was the regular price elsewhere. Too bad you can't see my post.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: DL, AA
Not sure what I'll drink to bring in 2016. Will ask wine dude/dudette for something
bone dry, minerally, with some yeast on it and crisp. And then I'll probly reach
for the Cristal anyway.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by ACCDraw
Not sure what I'll drink to bring in 2016. Will ask wine dude/dudette for something
bone dry, minerally, with some yeast on it and crisp. And then I'll probly reach
for the Cristal anyway.
So what does Cristal taste like, exactly?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I am one of the weirdos who really likes Krug (not a prestige thing -- I actually consistently choose it in blind tastings). OTOH, I know nothing about champagne, so I don't know what it is about Krug that makes it so appealing to me. Given the choice among normal champagnes, I go for Dom. My husband finds it much too dry. So we usually compromise and end up with a Veuve NV rose, which is less dry, somewhat fruity, but the bubbles are still . . . bubbly (I don't know the word I am looking for, sorry).

Since I am not usually one to drink more than a glass, and that only at special occasions (I am not the biggest of creatures), compromise is the name of the game.

But I would love to know what qualities Krug has that make it so different (to my palate, at least).
Old Dec 25, 2015, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by ysolde
I am one of the weirdos who really likes Krug (not a prestige thing -- I actually consistently choose it in blind tastings). OTOH, I know nothing about champagne, so I don't know what it is about Krug that makes it so appealing to me. Given the choice among normal champagnes, I go for Dom. My husband finds it much too dry. So we usually compromise and end up with a Veuve NV rose, which is less dry, somewhat fruity, but the bubbles are still . . . bubbly (I don't know the word I am looking for, sorry).

Since I am not usually one to drink more than a glass, and that only at special occasions (I am not the biggest of creatures), compromise is the name of the game.

But I would love to know what qualities Krug has that make it so different (to my palate, at least).
It's funny/interesting that you would refer to Dom as a "normal" champagne. I can relate to your comment. I don't know what makes Veuve Clicquot special, but I know I like it better than Dom. But if VC is not available, then drinking Dom is "acceptable" to me.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can certainly understand people in the US opting for Dom or Belle Epoque for celebratory purposes, but not run-of-the-mill juice from Moet or Piper. Much better sparklers for the money are available from Sonoma or Napa Valley and, especially, New Mexico. Gruet for me, unless I'm springing for something special.

Now, if I lived in Champagne itself, I'd be selecting from among a range of small producers. And I'd be an alcoholic.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
I can certainly understand people in the US opting for Dom or Belle Epoque for celebratory purposes, but not run-of-the-mill juice from Moet or Piper. Much better sparklers for the money are available from Sonoma or Napa Valley and, especially, New Mexico. Gruet for me, unless I'm springing for something special.

Now, if I lived in Champagne itself, I'd be selecting from among a range of small producers. And I'd be an alcoholic.
My local Total Wine has a New Mexico sparkling wine. Will it be drinkable? I've never heard of wine from there. I am more than willing to try something different.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:29 pm

My local Total Wine has a New Mexico sparkling wine. Will it be drinkable? I've never heard of wine from there. I am more than willing to try something different.
I hope you'll have plenty of orange juice (or St. Germain and club soda) on hand.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I hope you'll have plenty of orange juice (or St. Germain and club soda) on hand.
I have had decent wine from North Carolina and Pennsylvania. I think my standards are reasonably high. How bad can New Mexico be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.