Search

Consolidated "Air Fryer - Experiences, Questions, Recipes" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:26 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Meant to say I do chip shop fish in batter fried in Olive Oil and it always turns out crispy without the oil reaching smoking point.
Never had a problem with the chips going crispy either although that might be down to the excellent quality of potatoes that are available here.
The Olive Oil used is first cold pressed Extra Virgin from Mendoza.
Congrats ..... You've perfected crisping both fish and chips in olive oil without the oil going up in smoke!

It's nothing to do with your spuds. The issue with smoke point and unrefined extra virgin oil is that the olive sediment suspended in the oil has to smoke at relatively low temperatures - it doesn't really have much option ... so I'm both impressed ...... and perplexed.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by uk1
I'm both impressed ...... and perplexed.
I've never noticed the oil smoking apart from when using it in a frying pan for eggs.
Never been a problem when making chips or fried fish. Maybe the olive oil from Mendoza has special qualities?

I'm sure the variety of potato does have something to do with the crisping factor.....I've noticed wet potatoes do tend to produce limp chips. Most potatoes here are dry and fluffy.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:21 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Sorry - I meant the spuds doesn't influence smoke point - but they most certainly effect crispness, fluffyness and flavour. Generally floury pots are better for chips and waxy tend not to crisp and fluff so well.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:01 pm

Healthy oil free food is worth anything

I noticed one of the early posts mentioning the high price of some airfryers.

In my experience it's really not something to compromise on quality, some cheaper models have been known to literally burn out their motors after a few months use.
There's nothing like having your favourite fast foods completely oil free though, and I have made Sunday roast in mine!

The fact that you can adjust the temp makes it so suitable for cooking all sorts of food in them, so the oven gets a long deserved rest....

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 4, 2013 at 12:13 pm Reason: Removed commercial link
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I looked at some of the reviews for the Tfal ones - there were a huge number of reviews about how it was cheaply constructed, plastic bits breaking off etc. Certainly not a case of higher price = good quality in all cases.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by emma69
I looked at some of the reviews for the Tfal ones - there were a huge number of reviews about how it was cheaply constructed, plastic bits breaking off etc. Certainly not a case of higher price = good quality in all cases.
I have the T-Fal and have seen the UK Philips one in action across the pond.

The T-Fal is a bit inferior to the Philips in construction and quality. It was designed for the 110V market.

IME - It worked well for making "chip" to eat topped with "British baked beans" or curry sauce as well as frying up fish fillet pieces with panko crust. I tried battering but it got too messy. It is great that you don't need to heat a large amount of oil for just this purpose.
I use the lower heat to cook and high heat to crisp method with Canadian russet and it turn out great (IMHO). The simplicity of the method is great for my one serving craving.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:09 am

Hi everyone! A bit late to the AirFryer party. I just got ours a couple of months ago and addicted to it since. Any great recipes you can suggest? I found some great recipes on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/airfryer

I've tried these recipes from reddit: duck leg, burger and breakfast sandwich. They came out surprisingly good. My kids and husband ate them, so that was a good sign. I look forward to getting on the scale next week too.

Thanks y'all!

-Stella
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Williams Sonoma has the Philips air fryer on special today at 35% discount for Cyber Monday.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:14 am

Purchased a Philips air fryer yesterday (not cheap here) and just about to cook some chips in it. I haven't eaten a chip for seven months.

There doesn't seem to be a lot else you can cook with it though.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:23 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Purchased a Philips air fryer yesterday (not cheap here) and just about to cook some chips in it. I haven't eaten a chip for seven months.

There doesn't seem to be a lot else you can cook with it though.
hiddykins,

The problem is that the instructions are unimaginative. I keep finding new things for it. To the extent I'm often using two side by side and certainly use them more than a traditional oven.

Off the top of my bonce, I use it for example for sausages, sausage rolls (fresh or frozen ... but even better home made and fresh from bought sausages and puff pastry) fried bread, sticky chicken wings, crispy Peking duck, saute potatoes, samosas, bhajis, spring rolls, jacket potatoes, chicken in breadcrumbs including Southern, short ribs, onion rings, rostis, frozen fish in batter and fish fingers and fish cakes, pasties, etc.

Perfect for croissants ie either from fresh or frozen and for those part cooked long life crunchy rolls.

If I didn't have a toasty maker I reckon it would be perfect for that as well.

Last edited by uk1; Apr 21, 2015 at 10:35 am
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:47 am

That sounds better...might be useful for empanadas.

Do you steep your chips in water for the recommended 30 minutes? Seems a bit of a faff if you don't have the time. Anyway....half the cooking time has gone and I gave them a shake. Shall report back on my opinion later. Off to look out the vinegar.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:56 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

That sounds better...might be useful for empanadas.

Do you steep your chips in water for the recommended 30 minutes? Seems a bit of a faff if you don't have the time. Anyway....half the cooking time has gone and I gave them a shake. Shall report back on my opinion later. Off to look out the vinegar.
I only use frozen chips. Two types, Mcains french fries and home fries. They taste as though they are deep fried.

When made from fresh chips, I make into the shape of saiutees so they don't break up when shaken and I steam them (let the steam evaporate off and get cold) and then put them into a bowl with olive oil to mix and coat and then tip them into the fryer. If you like a crisp surface use a floury potato and really shake them in the oil to break the edges, and if you like more flavour and are happy to have a less crisp surface than something like charlottes are perfect. Also try some flavoured oils ... chilli is good.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by uk1
I only use frozen chips. Two types, Mcains french fries and home fries. They taste as though they are deep fried.

When made from fresh chips, I make into the shape of saiutees so they don't break up when shaken and I steam them (let the steam evaporate off and get cold) and then put them into a bowl with olive oil to mix and coat and then tip them into the fryer. If you like a crisp surface use a floury potato and really shake them in the oil to break the edges, and if you like more flavour and are happy to have a less crisp surface than something like charlottes are perfect. Also try some flavoured oils ... chilli is good.
They have Mcain chips here but the wife would have a fit if I made them. Finding out the varieties of potatoes on sale here is a big ask....it's something they just don't do it although I have to say I've never had a poor one yet.
The chips for lunch and sliced potatoes we had with dinner both turned out fine. I didn't bother steeping the sliced ones in water as advised. If anything they turned out better so I won't be faffing about doing that again.
They do seem to have a blander taste from the deep fried ones but health wise much better of course.
All in all a decent appliance for the kitchen although it's not something I'd rave about.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:32 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

They have Mcain chips here but the wife would have a fit if I made them. Finding out the varieties of potatoes on sale here is a big ask....it's something they just don't do it although I have to say I've never had a poor one yet.
The chips for lunch and sliced potatoes we had with dinner both turned out fine. I didn't bother steeping the sliced ones in water as advised. If anything they turned out better so I won't be faffing about doing that again.
They do seem to have a blander taste from the deep fried ones but health wise much better of course.
All in all a decent appliance for the kitchen although it's not something I'd rave about.
You correctly wouldn't rave about an appliance you haven't used yet or yet learned to use.

The Mcain French Fries produce a chip that tastes exactly like McDonalds fries. We cannot tell the difference. They taste deep fried. The home fries taste as though they are deep fried - they are a chunkier chip we use for meals other than burger meals. They are both caramalised on the surface and they tast deep fried but with less fat.

You have chosen to cook your chips in a way that produces bland chips ... so that is obviously what you got. I don't see the point of your purchase to be honest.

Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by uk1
You have chosen to cook your chips in a way that produces bland chips ... so that is obviously what you got. I don't see the point of your purchase to be honest.

Well you can blame the wife for that, it was her idea.
No doubt brought on by the latest health fad and her liking for fried milanese and the odd chip. I'd have stuck with cooking both the conventional way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.