Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Booked 2 First/Business award tickets for two week vacation next August for spouse and self: outbound MCO-DTW-LHR, return DUB-ATL-MCO for the new 125K saver level for each (avoiding the UK luxury tax on exit). All DL metal. And yes, we actually wanted to go to Ireland as well.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Just booked over the phone for next May/June (flights pulled up and priced fine on Delta.com but then couldn't ticket):

MCO-RDU in F (2 day stopover for friend's wedding)
RDU-ATL-SCL in F/J
SCL-ATL-MCO in J/Y

2 pax at 112,500 per person, since the departing flight is in May but the return is in June and thus subject to the new redemption rates. I'll watch for the last leg to open up in F, but still, with the stopover and long-haul flights in J, I still consider this a big success!
Old Oct 9, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL: DM, Marriott: PM
(put post in wrong forum- edited out!)
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
YOu're not suppose to get international upgrades ...
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Maui-Mainland on AS

Booked this in March for my mother-in-law:

OGG-SAN in first, stop in SAN
SAN-SLC-COS in coach (low is only in coach)
then open jaw
SAN-OGG in first

75,000 miles and $10 tax

There is a fair amount of availability in first on the AS flights between Maui and San Diego.

San Diego to anywhere else in the USA on Delta metal is next to impossible, especially without extra elite availability. No way I would have found SAN-COS without KVS.

It is bookable on Delta.com using multi-leg and "search by schedule". However, the website crashed on the payment page. When I called, the agent said she could not see OGG-SAN as available. I told her, "It's there. Keep trying." I wonder if the agents are so used to award fails, they don't even try.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:22 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Unbelievable what it took to book this award. Tried multiple times online over the course of several days. But when I got so far, I got the dreaded "One of your flights just sold out" message, which I know was not true.

Called DL and the first agent told me that you can only book Delta operated or Delta codeshare flights using miles, not Alitalia. Really? I knew I would get nowhere. Called a second time and didn't get much further but for other reasons. Finally on the third phone call (and about 1 hour later) I finally had it booked. I fed the agents all the dates/cities/flight numbers and still it took all this time over three calls.

Mar MSP-LHR
Mar LHR-FCO (<24 hours in LHR)
Mar FCO-VIE (stopover in FCO for several days)
Mar VIE-AMS (VIE is my destination, <24 hours in AMS)
Mar AMS-MSP

100K miles and $201 in taxes/fees.

It was quite sad that it took so much effort, but I must say that it didn't surprise me.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:38 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by citizenoftheworld
SAL-ATL (3-month stopover)-LIM-ATL-SAL. 30K in business class. All segments on DL. It took a few calls and one escalation, but we pulled it off ^.
I am shocked that you were able to pull this off.

Central America to Northern South America is indeed a 30k Roundtrip in Business, but I wouldn't expect that this is a legal routing. 9,193 miles doesn't break the MPM for two cities that are 3,864 roundtrip on a GC route?

Essentially, you end up getting a Central America-US award in Business (60k) and a US-Northern South America award in actual B/E (90k).

So 150k of award travel for 30k. There's a nesting arbitrage in there for folks based in Central America, if they are actually letting you transit ATL for this and making that a stopover.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:58 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
It exceeds the mpm and so i am assuming that's why he escalated
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:39 pm

120k + $187.30 for two people in May booked online.

LAX-BNE-MEL VA J
SYD-DPS VA J
DPS-SIN-ICN-LAX KL J & KE J

ICN-LAX only had one seat available in J per flight so we're on different flights on the last segment.

I tried to add low level LAS-LAX & LAX-LAS, the online engine would spit a higher amount for miles. I called 3x to price it out. The agents would quote more than 120k miles so I gave up and booked on DL.com instead.

When GA joins SkyTeam, I plan to change the SYD-DPS segment to GA instead of VA as the GA 330 seats are lie flat as opposed to VA's recliner seats on their 737. I'll attempt to add the LAS segments then as well.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
Two tickets for Oct. 31-Nov 3 SLC-YVR.; Y seats at 25K each. Not bad considering the tickets are close to $600 each.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Dude

LAX-BNE-MEL VA J
SYD-DPS VA J

ICN-LAX only had one seat available in J per flight so we're on different flights on the last segment.

I tried to add low level LAS-LAX & LAX-LAS, the online engine would spit a higher amount for miles. I called 3x to price it out. The agents would quote more than 120k miles so I gave up and booked on DL.com instead.

When GA joins SkyTeam, I plan to change the SYD-DPS segment to GA instead of VA as the GA 330 seats are lie flat as opposed to VA's recliner seats on their 737. I'll attempt to add the LAS segments then as well.
deleted.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 2:58 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Dude

LAX-BNE-MEL VA J
SYD-DPS VA J

Nice.

Your return flights from SYD to LAX already have 4 segments. So I doubt you will ever be able to add LAS-LAX on the return. And you can't add it on the front end only, since that would then give you a double open jaw.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL DM, SPG Gold, Emerald Club Exec Elite, Hertz Gold
2 Tickets on a multi-city itinerary (even got the A380 flight!), all in Business:

JFK->CDG->FLR
2/7/13

FLR->CDG
2/14

CDG->JFK
2/18

100k + $188 / Ticket
Old Oct 15, 2013, 5:24 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by flymanbeast
It exceeds the mpm and so i am assuming that's why he escalated
The shocking part is that escalation yielded success. He got a 150k redemption (albeit ridiculous at that rate) for 30k. Amazing. I once failed to get LAS as a stopover b/w SEA and CUN.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by fti
Nice.

Your return flights from SYD to LAX already have 4 segments. So I doubt you will ever be able to add LAS-LAX on the return. And you can't add it on the front end only, since that would then give you a double open jaw.
Thanks! DPS is my destination so the inbound and outbound would be three legs each. I've booked plenty of awards on other programs but this is my first SkyMiles booking. Y'all are the experts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.