Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta simply does not know how to police their boarding!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta simply does not know how to police their boarding!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:51 am

I was on DTW-YYZ yesterday afternoon, and I felt like I was one of only a dozen pax who knew what a boarding group was. We were delayed by about an hour and had a gate change, but when boarding started, there was a mad rush to the door. I did see the GA kick people out of line for trying to board early which was good, but people were just completely oblivious. I know with one lady ahead of me, it was a language barrier issue. GA told her in English she isn't in this boarding group, and the pax didn't understand. GA told her in Spanish, pax didn't understand, so I don't know what language she spoke. The GA just eventually pointed to a group of people outside the line and told her to wait there.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I was on a JFK to SDQ flight a month ago] they called people who needed special assistance to board, then they called people with children under two years of age.

By the time 1st class was called to board, 50% of the plane was full.

Another time same flight I was again in 1st, they called people who needed assistance, people with children under two. There was just 1 family with a child under two, apparently, they just went to the rest room, GA waited for I kid (pun intended) you not 15 minutes for them to return. She did not let any other zones load. I got the feeling they were family the way she was treating them, and the entire family was in C+ The flight closed the doors 30 minutes late. Oh and another thing that ground my gears on this flight was, that very same family loaded up all their luggage in the last two 1st class bins.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I was on a JFK to SDQ flight a month ago] they called people who needed special assistance to board, then they called people with children under two years of age.

By the time 1st class was called to board, 50% of the plane was full.

I have often been amazed by the size of the entourage that some special assistance pax tow along behind them.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I have often been amazed by the size of the entourage that some special assistance pax tow along behind them.
I can understand families boarding together, but there should be a rule +1 only. Unless there is a child then the kid can come along.

But on the SDQ flights and I am pretty sure other frequent fliers to SDQ can attest to this. Mind you SJU is the same way. There are often 5+ with wheelchairs and each of those has 2+ people in their party. And the children situation just as bad if not worst, multiple families with 1 child under 2 and up to 5 more kids and other relatives with them.

Again I can understand the need for this, my mom uses a wheelchair when flying Jetblue (even though they almost sent her to the wrong city once) but some people well not some a lot of people abuse it.

My sister is a wheelchair abuser. She can walk fine, but she always gets in a wheelchair to board first. I do not fly with her for that. just an fyi people she loves to fly that really cheap airline that isn't spirit from CLT to Trento.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My sister is a wheelchair abuser. She can walk fine, but she always gets in a wheelchair to board first. ...
I originally had in my post that sometimes the large entourage comes along so that they can witness the inflight miracle. But, anticipating the grief that I would receive (there is a generally low ability here for folks to recognize satire), I chickened out.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:16 pm

I originally had in my post that sometimes the large entourage comes along so that they can witness the inflight miracle. But, anticipating the grief that I would receive (there is a generally low ability here for folks to recognize satire), I chickened out.
If you're not a politician no reason to chicken out!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I can understand families boarding together, but there should be a rule +1 only. Unless there is a child then the kid can come along.

But on the SDQ flights and I am pretty sure other frequent fliers to SDQ can attest to this. Mind you SJU is the same way. There are often 5+ with wheelchairs and each of those has 2+ people in their party. And the children situation just as bad if not worst, multiple families with 1 child under 2 and up to 5 more kids and other relatives with them.

Again I can understand the need for this, my mom uses a wheelchair when flying Jetblue (even though they almost sent her to the wrong city once) but some people well not some a lot of people abuse it.

My sister is a wheelchair abuser. She can walk fine, but she always gets in a wheelchair to board first. I do not fly with her for that. just an fyi people she loves to fly that really cheap airline that isn't spirit from CLT to Trento.
My last flight to SDQ about a month ago had 10 wheelchairs, I counted them. The flight was already delayed (I don't think I've ever had a departure on DL497 on time) so this added some extra time to the boarding process. Then the family parade followed the wheelchair parade, to the point where the GA had to stop and specify that only adults with children under 2 years old or traveling in a car seat were welcomed to board.

By the time I boarded the airplane in zone PRE, 30% of the plane had not only boarded, but filled out several Business Class bins.

Fast forward, deplaning at SDQ, the same amount of wheelchairs awaiting for passengers, but it seemed that most of the passengers walked to the baggage claim area, as there were less than 5 wheelchair passengers waiting for bags and the rest were just standing in the crowd.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
90% of my travel is long-haul Int'l - always with luggage, so I have no need to try and get overhead space. I go onboard with a lightweight/medium size backpack. And with an aisle seat (90% of the time)...so as a result, I have no need to battle the gate lice.

I'm generally one of the last 5-10 to board - once all the chaos has subsided.
And only on very rare occasions do I not find spot for my backpack. In the rare case it happens, then I "suffer" with it under the seat

The only other issue that happens is someone thinks "oh look at this nice aisle seat that is going unused"...and I have to slide them over to their middle

I know it doesn't work for everyone, but worth it to me to not have to engage in "boarding wars"
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I was on a flight recently (I think it was JFK-ORD or RIC-ORD) and around 8 wheelchairs and then when then called families with small children this group of about 12 people go together to board (there were 2 children) and this is on CRJ 700 so thats a big chunk of the passenger. That process took forever so long in fact before they called premium they made the announcement that there would be no ground service (aka PDBs) in First Class since they were running low on time
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:45 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
Again, eliminate Zones #1 , #2 , and #3 .... make them #4 , #5 , and #6 . So simple, ...Why can't DL figure this out?
Do you really think they are unaware of this? The much, much more likely explanation is that they like the system just fine the way it is, even if it bugs you.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Of what value are the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs of your post?
Originally Posted by Comarm
They didnt even bother to read the part that OP said that the 50+ pax had Zone 2/3 boarding passes.
Yeah, just as the OP was able to identify ALL of his fellow PM's to exchange glances with, OP was also able to see the zone of EVERY person boarding when PREM was called.

The amount of kook aid some of you people drink when defending posts is absurd. Try applying a little common sense
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:05 am

I was on a DL flight in June or July (DC or MSP?) where the gate area had the new posts/lanes for boarding priority. It worked VERY well. I think DL needs to install them in every gate area that has the room.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FSUnole03

The amount of kook aid some of you people drink when defending posts is absurd. Try applying a little common sense
I'm not trying to defend any particular post. I have no skin in the game with respect to your debate with the OP.

I was merely providing commentary on the increasing amounts of gratuitous snark that seems to be infiltrating the forum.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Sep 3, 2017 at 11:23 am
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Comarm
They didnt even bother to read the part that OP said that the 50+ pax had Zone 2/3 boarding passes.
The upgrade list was less than 10 people. I also overheard people saying:
"wait, they're boarding first class only!"
"oh it's okay just push through"
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Why doesn’t DL implement what UA does which is have the BP scanners beep for those boarding out of order? Then again it doesn’t matter if it isn’t policed though, saw three zone 4 folks board my last flight in zone 2...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.