Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta simply does not know how to police their boarding!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta simply does not know how to police their boarding!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:32 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by puck021

I fly out of DCA every other week and this seems to always happen. I’m generally a converted fan of the pillars, and agree it helps more on heavy elite flights.
Also a fan of the pillars, but they work very well on flights out of ATL. The problem at DCA is that some PREM passengers want to be smarter than others, so they sit in the foodcourt watching the rest line up, and then try to board through the deplaning zone when PREM is called.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Also a fan of the pillars, but they work very well on flights out of ATL. The problem at DCA is that some PREM passengers want to be smarter than others, so they sit in the foodcourt watching the rest line up, and then try to board through the deplaning zone when PREM is called.
DYKWIA
In2ishn likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
I've seen some GA's open pre-boarding to military either in uniform or with ID. I've seen others not enforce the ID requirement at all. Over 20 people boarded in ATL the other day just walking up and saying "military." I'm sorry, but this severely undermines priority boarding. I think that if you are in uniform traveling on orders then pre-boarding is OK. If you are in civilian clothes, ID or not, board with your zone.
Agreed. This will ruin it for military people 'on duty' just as the goofy comfort animals are ruining things for people who actually need a well trained animal assistant. I think its time the airlines stopped being afraid of offending a small minority of scoff-laws and be more concerned with offending good customers who just want to get on the plane in fair order and not be made to feel like a chump because they don't cheat the system.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Yes. This. There’s always a handful of DYKWIA who think the line is below them and just expect everyone to let them as boarding starts.

The 19/21 setup is better than it was a few months ago. It’s still not great, but better. One thing to keep in mind is few airports have the space for PREMIUM to line up on elite heavy routes.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:48 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
[left]

Yes. This. There’s always a handful of DYKWIA who think the line is below them and just expect everyone to let them as boarding starts.
This isn't a DYKWIA thing, Delta created the sky priority lane exactly for this purpose
Old Feb 17, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DCAproducer

The 19/21 setup is better than it was a few months ago. It’s still not great, but better. One thing to keep in mind is few airports have the space for PREMIUM to line up on elite heavy routes.
Is the PREM lane still over by the windows at 19? DL now has a Zone 4 for BE PAX so I wonder how that will change things (I assume that all airports with the pillars don't yet have a Zone 4 Pillar yet) I'll be there in two weeks so will see if it is any better than before.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by pvn
This isn't a DYKWIA thing, Delta created the sky priority lane exactly for this purpose
The problem is that there isn't a Sky Priority carpet lane for PREM/SKY/and Zone 1 and they have individual pillars. At Gate 19 in DCA, the pillars for every Zone (including PREM) are in front of the GA desk facing towards Gate 21. PAX who feel like they can just cut the line, go in front of the pillars instead of waiting in line and join everyone else in line at the BP scanner. I call this DYKWIA and have witnessed this every time I've gone out of Gate 19 since the pillars.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:03 pm
pvn
Suspended

They're just doing what delta has trained them to do
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:45 pm

I was on a flight from LAS today and it was a complete mess. The GA started ok with the preboards and after that it went downhill. After they boarded he called for PREM, Sky and Zone 1 all at the same time. The whole gate area was a complete cluster with 3 boarding groups boarding at once.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cubs105
I was on a flight from LAS today and it was a complete mess. The GA started ok with the preboards and after that it went downhill. After they boarded he called for PREM, Sky and Zone 1 all at the same time. The whole gate area was a complete cluster with 3 boarding groups boarding at once.
That’s when I find a nice seat and watch the show.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by cubs105
That is when you say something to the GA. Then go here: https://www.delta.com/contactus/commentComplaint

FWIW I say something also when the GA are proactive about enforcing the boarding process.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Feb 20, 2018 at 6:22 pm
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I've said it before, but when you have at least 4 boarding groups that board prior to Zone *1*, it's confusing to say the least. Any non-regular DL flyer would reasonably expect that Zone 1 boards first.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
DL is testing the pillars, while UA is testing a two-lane system a la DL. SMH. What a waste of time,. 🙄
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:50 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
That is when you say something to the GA. Then go here: https://www.delta.com/contactus/commentComplaint
Seems like a good way to "fly under the radar"
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Last night at JFK, they let an NRSA in row 38 board with the PREM group on JFK-SFO. Is that typical?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.