Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta simply does not know how to police their boarding!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta simply does not know how to police their boarding!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Why doesn’t DL implement what UA does which is have the BP scanners beep for those boarding out of order? Then again it doesn’t matter if it isn’t policed though, saw three zone 4 folks board my last flight in zone 2...
They should just make it four zones: FC/DM, Sky, Z1, Mob.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Why doesn’t DL implement what UA does which is have the BP scanners beep for those boarding out of order? Then again it doesn’t matter if it isn’t policed though, saw three zone 4 folks board my last flight in zone 2...
Does Delta even have a Zone 4?

In general I agree with the absurdity that "Zone 1" is usually the last to board the plane. By the time Zone 1 is done (at least in ATL during peak hours), the plane is probably 80-90% boarded. Sky usually guarantees a carry-on, but it is quite normal to force a portion of Zone 1 to check bags. "Priority boarding"... mmhmm, sure.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by ethernal

In general I agree with the absurdity that "Zone 1" is usually the last to board the plane. By the time Zone 1 is done (at least in ATL during peak hours), the plane is probably 80-90% boarded. Sky usually guarantees a carry-on, but it is quite normal to force a portion of Zone 1 to check bags. "Priority boarding"... mmhmm, sure.
Yes....they do.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by OHDL1
Yes....they do.
What is it used for? Basic economy? All the placards, signs, and TVs I see end at Zone 3.

Edit: This page says there isn't a Zone 4. May just be out of date if it's new?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by ethernal
Technically yes, but in reality no

The order is:

Pre board (0)
FC/DM (1)
SKY (2)
Zone 1 (3)
Zone 2 (4)
Zone 3 (5)

Technically DL has 5 general boarding zones but advertised as only "3"

Still better than AA's NINE zones

Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:26 am

Oh....I'm sorry...I must be mistaken.....
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Delta
Preboards
Those travelling with car seats and strollers
FC/DM
Sky Priority
Zone 1, 2, 3
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Why cant they simply number them and get rid of the verbiage?
After pre boards, it should be
First/DM = Zone 1
Sky = Zone 2
then zone 3, 4 5 etc.
Yesterday leaving FLL, there was a group of clearly non seasoned travelers who were jockeying to be first in line before Premium. I heard on them say "we are zone one so that means we are first up". It can be confusing for the non traveler.
Would solve most of the problems. Any reason they cant do that?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:04 am

I prefer lining up like kindergarteners to acting like hyenas around a carcass.
dilbertsdaddy likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:08 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Why cant they simply number them and get rid of the verbiage?
After pre boards, it should be
First/DM = Zone 1
Sky = Zone 2
then zone 3, 4 5 etc.
Yesterday leaving FLL, there was a group of clearly non seasoned travelers who were jockeying to be first in line before Premium. I heard on them say "we are zone one so that means we are first up". It can be confusing for the non traveler.
Would solve most of the problems. Any reason they cant do that?
Because "enjoy zone 3 boarding" doesn't help sell credit cards
cestmoi123 and BenSenise like this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
Because "enjoy zone 3 boarding" doesn't help sell credit cards
Bingo
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I don't know what happens after PREM boards.....but what I do know is that pre-boards are out of control, and a lot of SKY boards with PREM

It is not uncommon for 50 people to get on before me in F

The new stanchions in ATL do help somewhat

By the way, this mayhem is also a contributing factor in PDB fails......kind of hard to serve drinks in the middle of chaos
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Last two Delta flights ticketed in First Class, I experienced chaos at boarding. Although I was perhaps tenth in the scrum to board, I was the first person who sat in First. In front of me, all I saw were a bunch of rear-ends headed to the back of the plane.

While AA has its own problems, they have gotten better about enforcing First Class boarding. Smarter AA gate agents will call the Concierge Key pax by name and preboard them, so there is no confusion that Zone 1 should be only the sixteen passengers seated in First.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Last two Delta flights ticketed in First Class, I experienced chaos at boarding. Although I was perhaps tenth in the scrum to board, I was the first person who sat in First. In front of me, all I saw were a bunch of rear-ends headed to the back of the plane.

While AA has its own problems, they have gotten better about enforcing First Class boarding. Smarter AA gate agents will call the Concierge Key pax by name and preboard them, so there is no confusion that Zone 1 should be only the sixteen passengers seated in First.
As a Diamond who is limited to coach tickets by corporate policy, you will often see my butt boarding in the PREM group and heading back to C+. If you are on a DM-heavy route, I could easily see there being 40-50 people (or more, depending on the aircraft) legitimately boarding in the PREM zone.

As an aside, I was recently #1 out of 70(!) for zero FC seats on a 717. On the advice of the gate agent, I held off on boarding to see if there would be a no-show. I counted 35 people who boarded in PREM, on a plane with only 12 FC seats. I got the upgrade too, so there's that. I would have been number 36.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer

Depends on the route but that just sounds like par for the course if you're on a business heavy route. I am a Diamond that flies on mostly H, M, and B fares (never see S for some reason) and I usually end up somewhere around 10-25 on the upgrade list (meaning there's probably at least 10-20 more diamonds with lower fare classes below me) and in row 30-35 in coach (C+ is an exceptionally rare gift - maybe I pick it up on 10-20% of flights). You might see me trucking to the back of the bus with 10 other folks and think we just boarded early... but chances are most of us are Diamonds.

I just don't see that much evidence of people boarding out of turn. Maybe the occasional person here or there, but I don't think it's endemic. Delta would have stats on it and they clearly don't see it as a big enough issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.