Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta simply does not know how to police their boarding!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta simply does not know how to police their boarding!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I put a lot of the blame on false expectations provided by DL marketing.

Consider the boarding sequence:

1) Those need a little extra time (including those who will achieve a miraculous recovery en route, and more than a few who look like they could have just come from Gold's gym)... along with their entire family entourage (nieces, nephews, grandchildren)

2) Those with with infants and car seats (and a few children just not quite yet shaving)

3) FC and and a number of DMs greater than riders in Genghis Kahn's hordes

4) Sky (not sure who that includes these days, since I am usually on the plane)

and, then

5) Zone 1... who have been enticed by DL advertising to acquire a DL Amex card based upon panoramic photos of nearly empty overhead bins and virtually empty airplanes, along with promises of "priority boarding."

After having been burned a few times, is there any wonder that the "priority boarders" get a bit anxious?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
I think Delta should stop selling Priority Boarding as a trip extra, if passengers want it they should buy a C+ seat or FC seat.

And they should clarify to Amex cardholders what type of "Priority Boarding" they are really getting, many people think it means Sky Priority boarding, which it doesn't.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by arunhn
When you board out of order, the BP scanner should spray water on the passenger. This is the only way in my opinion to control this.
I think a stun gun (low voltage) would do the trick.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident
Yeah, no, the GA were not "pondering whether to deny him" so quit being so dramatic.

There are many ways an otherwise healthy looking person can be entitled to preboard. One of my employees has a peanut allergy - like, the kind where if she eats one she dies - and she is allowed to preboard to give her time to clean off the seat in case there's peanut residue from the previous flight. She's 28 and a runner and preboards for that reason.
Agreed 100000000000%!!!!!!!!

It was actually extremely RUDE and skirting violating ADA laws that she (the GA) even made her snide "we are only doing pre boards right now" comment on the intercom.

In case anyone needs a lesson on how the ADA Act of 1990 works, a person is simply NOT allowed to ask a persons disability and if you are traveling with a service dog can only ask two questions "is that a service dog?" "what services do they perform?" ANY FOLLOW UPS VIOLATE THE ACT!!!

Let me sum that up for everyone: IT IS ILLEGAL TO ASK IF SOMEONE HAS A DISABILITY!!!!!!!!!

The SO had MASSIVE knee surgery with a huge scar up half their leg in the last year, and it is VERY hard to stand/walk for long periods, otherwise they look "completely normal" whatever that means.

I have a massive pet peeve with people judging others disabilities and if it falls in that persons category of a "disability". Same thing with people who question people with handicap parking placards. Mind your own damn business.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
My observation, FWIW, is that as soon as the gate agent goes on the microphone and starts rambling on about the boarding process, people start to assemble in the gate lice scrum. My second comment is that often the "boarding time" announced and printed on the boarding pass is too optimistic. At best, it is the time when pre-boarding starts, but it signals to everyone that this is the time to get in the mob at the gate.

My answer is to:

1. Quit printing/publishing boarding times. The only statement should be that you must be at the gate and ready to board more than 15 minutes prior to departure.

2. Make no pre-announcements. None. Don't get on the PA and start talking about what the boarding process will be like. This implies that boarding is imminent and in my experience, people start crowding the gate at this moment, if they haven't already.

3. Board the Premium cabin first. Not pre-boards or folks with kids. Board First/Business (and Diamonds) first. This lets the premium cabin customers get settled in and the flight attendants can do a proper pre-departure beverage service. So, the first words out of the gate agent's mouth, without any warning or other previous announcements, would be, "Premium cabin customers and Diamond Medallions may now board. Everyone else, please remain seated."

4. Board SkyPriority next. This would really make it "priority" boarding.

5. Announce a break in the process to board those needing extra time and families/kids in strollers. E.g., "We have boarded our Premium cabin and SkyPriority customers. Now, while they are getting settled in on the plane, we would like to board any of those needing additional time or assistance, or those with children under the age of two who might need additional time. Everyone else, please remain in the gate area. We will resume boarding in 5 minutes."

6. Resume general boarding and get the other zones done with.
I generally like this, but stating only the 15 minute rule could cause many kettles to arrive at the gate around T-20 or so, resulting in delayed flights if everyone tries to board at the end.

There's also a good point about giving FOs and partner elites some privileges too. If they were to be lumped into SKY, that group would become even bigger than it already is.

If DL wants zone 1 to be the third or worse group, maybe DL should get rid of the numbers and call this group RED or maybe call it the Robins like in first grade. Metals would confuse things with elite levels, so this wouldn't be a good choice, but colors or planets should work. Birds might, but DL would need to avoid sports team names like eagles, blue jays, etc.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vincentharris

It was actually extremely RUDE and skirting violating ADA laws that she (the GA) even made her snide "we are only doing pre boards right now" comment on the intercom.

In case anyone needs a lesson on how the ADA Act of 1990 works, a person is simply NOT allowed to ask a persons disability and if you are traveling with a service dog can only ask two questions "is that a service dog?" "what services do they perform?" ANY FOLLOW UPS VIOLATE THE ACT!!!

Let me sum that up for everyone: IT IS ILLEGAL TO ASK IF SOMEONE HAS A DISABILITY!!!!!!!!!

The SO had MASSIVE knee surgery with a huge scar up half their leg in the last year, and it is VERY hard to stand/walk for long periods, otherwise they look "completely normal" whatever that means.

I have a massive pet peeve with people judging others disabilities and if it falls in that persons category of a "disability". Same thing with people who question people with handicap parking placards. Mind your own damn business.

AFAIK you can ask whether someone has a disability but you cannot ask them what the disability is, just like you can ask them if the beast is a service dog but not why they need the service animal.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not do as WN does?
Assign Boarding numbers. Marked on the BP, paper or electronic.
Call "Boarding numbers 1 through 30." And so on.
If you want even more orderly boarding, use stanchions with place numbers (e.g.- 1-5, 6-10, etc.) to organize the boarding line. This will be a self-enforcing system. When someone wants to cut the Iine, he is asked for his boarding number by the person he's trying to cut in front of.
And you don't have to stand in line until you're number-range is about to be called.
This system works on WN. Are their pax more civilized? Or do crowds naturally prefer a reasonable system to chaos - if one is offered.
DL and other legacies can determine the boarding number assignment method any way they like (FC first, FC last, zone based, window seats back to front, then middles then aisles... whatever).
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Why not do as WN does?
If you want even more orderly boarding, use stanchions with place numbers (e.g.- 1-5, 6-10, etc.) to organize the boarding line. This will be a self-enforcing system. When someone wants to cut the Iine, he is asked for his boarding number by the person he's trying to cut in front of.
And you don't have to stand in line until you're number-range is about to be called.
This system works on WN. Are their pax more civilized? Or do crowds naturally prefer a reasonable system to chaos - if one is offered.
DL and other legacies can determine the boarding number assignment method any way they like (FC first, FC last, zone based, window seats back to front, then middles then aisles... whatever).
One of the reasons I fly DL is because I DO NOT WANT TO FLY WN and I do not want to line up for boarding like a kindergarten class.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:49 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rickg523
Why not do as WN does?
Do you realize what you're saying here?!? You're asking people to stop drinking in the SkyClubs early enough to get to the gate area to line up in order!!!***

Heavens to Betsy!!!

***I am not speaking for myself, as I do not drink at airports!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:19 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
My observation, FWIW, is that as soon as the gate agent goes on the microphone and starts rambling on about the boarding process, people start to assemble in the gate lice scrum. My second comment is that often the "boarding time" announced and printed on the boarding pass is too optimistic. At best, it is the time when pre-boarding starts, but it signals to everyone that this is the time to get in the mob at the gate.

My answer is to:

1. Quit printing/publishing boarding times. The only statement should be that you must be at the gate and ready to board more than 15 minutes prior to departure.

2. Make no pre-announcements. None. Don't get on the PA and start talking about what the boarding process will be like. This implies that boarding is imminent and in my experience, people start crowding the gate at this moment, if they haven't already.

3. Board the Premium cabin first. Not pre-boards or folks with kids. Board First/Business (and Diamonds) first. This lets the premium cabin customers get settled in and the flight attendants can do a proper pre-departure beverage service. So, the first words out of the gate agent's mouth, without any warning or other previous announcements, would be, "Premium cabin customers and Diamond Medallions may now board. Everyone else, please remain seated."

4. Board SkyPriority next. This would really make it "priority" boarding.

5. Announce a break in the process to board those needing extra time and families/kids in strollers. E.g., "We have boarded our Premium cabin and SkyPriority customers. Now, while they are getting settled in on the plane, we would like to board any of those needing additional time or assistance, or those with children under the age of two who might need additional time. Everyone else, please remain in the gate area. We will resume boarding in 5 minutes."

6. Resume general boarding and get the other zones done with.
I'm going to guess you have sky priority but don't buy a lot of F and don't get a lot of upgrades, so... platinum?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:20 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One of the reasons I fly DL is because I DO NOT WANT TO FLY WN and I do not want to line up for boarding like a kindergarten class.
so you don't want a big pile of people at the gate, and you don't want orderly lines?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM

actually it's not illegal for me to ask the SO or anyone else if they have a disability. I can ask whatever questions I want.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:29 pm
pvn
Suspended

Yes to this but pre boards happens after zone 1 OR DL needs to accept that FO is a real medallion level and move them into SKY boarding. ONLY FO moves to SKY the Amex BS priority boarding can stick around in zone 1.
let me guess, you're a FO
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Rubbish.

While I can't claim to have conducted a peer-review study of the phenomenon, it's the DYKIA's who think that a shiny plastic card that says that they are "elite" really means that they are "elite" who are the scammers here. Those folks don't pay to check a bag and are not checking because they don't know how to pack and don't want to wait to check bags or wait for them at the other end. The nice little old lady who travels 1x/year probably obeyed the rules
I have one of those shiny cards and I like to be the last one to board. I want to close the door and make sure its locked! I check my bag (free because I have that shiny card) and save myself of another 20 minutes in the sardine can.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:25 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Categorically agreed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.